2021 Draft Day Thread

NewAge

3 hours ago, xrade said:

Since we did not really need an OT, Darrisaw would have been nothing more than a backup for now. Not a bad thing but not really needed ATM. I was not the biggest fan of Davis. I think he peaked and has a low ceiling. IMO, he will be an average starting OG in this league. We got an perennial AP.  As for the QB, he is a career backup. They got their Morgan.

This trade is even IMO. Minny got what they needed and we got what we needed. The only real criticism is that we should have pushed Minny for their 2nd 4th rd pick instead if the later one. The points would have been more even. 

Not only that but Darrisaw is soft and lazy. I don’t want a guy like that on my team. Give me AVT all day. I gave us Dickerson in my mock because I didn’t think we’d have a chance at AVT, but here we are. 

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

former 1st round Center is a possibility but freshly investing high pick for Center is a rare.

If some of the picks pan out, we may have few holes next year. If McGovern does not play like the C we thought we were getting, I have no problem investing a FRP on a C. The stigma of NOT drafting OG/OC is over. If the Jets have a need, get the best to fill it. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

If some of the picks pan out, we may have few holes next year. If McGovern does not play like the C we thought we were getting, I have no problem investing a FRP on a C. The stigma of NOT drafting OG/OC is over. If the Jets have a need, get the best to fill it. 

Nah. DE, LB, CB, WR, OT, OG, RB and then C.

10 hours ago, xenajets said:

Really can’t get my head around the fact we drafted 5 straight DB’s. I know some will say a couple will translate into Lb/Hybrid type roles but it’s seems so much like overkill.

What’s the chances all of these guys make the roster?!? Highly unlikely. I’d rather package a few of those picks and actually got back into the 3rd round and got a guy who could end up as a starting cb for us and not just a bunch of db’s and hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. 

Especially when guys like Trey Smith (OG) and Quincy Roche (Edge) were available and at positions of need and real high reward type picks. 

Loved MC pick to start the 4th and love the upside both Nasirildeen and Marshall offer although the later my struggle because of our DLine depth.

You’re not looking at it correctly or you have a poor read on how our defensive system works. Some will say they’re hybrid types? Coach Saleh said it himself in the presser, how does that seem like overkill? Would you like it better if their names were Tommy Fields and Cameron McGrone instead? In Saleh’s defense you need hogs on the d-line that can cause disruption up front and speedy linebackers to fill the gaps. Look at Sherwood and Nasirildeen as small linebackers instead of DBs. These guys fit the modern NFL and what Saleh wants to do on defense. Fred Warner was a converted hybrid that became a stud middle linebacker. It’s all about speed, you need guys that can do everything in order to neutralize RPO offenses. “LBs” that can handle multiple responsibilities - run d, matchups with pass catching running backs, deep coverage, etc. This is also why a lot of teams are loading up at DB, you need to be four deep today because teams are figuring out ways to get the ball out quick or keep the front seven honest by running option plays and getting the ball out quick. I think Saleh is putting together the type of defense that can match up with the type of offense we’re going to run. Jets can easily be 5-wide with Davis/Mims/Crowder/Cole out wide and Moore in the backfield, where teams will need their dime set on the field to match up with that personnel and still have to worry about the run threat from Moore. It’s exciting.

That said, that explains the influx of DBs, even the ones who are actually playing DB. MC2 is a true nickel and Nichols and Pinnock are going to compete on the outside. We have Bryce Hall, Bless Austin, Justin Hardee, Lamar Jackson, and Javelin Guidry atop the depth chart. I personally love the approach of bringing in a ton of high upside athletic guys that have potential if properly coaches and let them compete for the right to play. Let’s see if we can’t find a diamond in the rough.

Also I LOVE how that Isaiah Dunn kid plays. We might have found something with him. 

Edited by jetjuice

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

Nah. DE, LB, CB, WR, OT, OG, RB and then C.

That’s if we need those spots. I think CB may be a big need and perhaps another OG, but if McGovern shots the bed what is wrong with a C as a FRP?

RB?  We have like 10 of them. I doubt we will need a RB. DE and LB maybe if what we have is lacking and shows little promise. Maybe ILB if Davis blows and we dump Mosley. TE if Herndon does not step up. 

Edited by xrade

2 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

You’re not looking at it correctly or you have a poor read on how our defensive system works. Some will say they’re hybrid types? Coach Saleh said it himself in the presser, how does that seem like overkill? Would you like it better if their names were Tommy Fields and Cameron McGrone instead? In Saleh’s defense you need hogs on the d-line that can cause disruption up front and speedy linebackers to fill the gaps. Look at Sherwood and Nasirildeen as small linebackers instead of DBs. These guys fit the modern NFL and what Saleh wants to do on defense. Fred Warner was a converted nickel that became a stud middle linebacker. It’s all about speed, you need guys that can do everything in order to neutralized RPO offenses. This is why a lot of teams are loading up at DB, you need to be four deep today. I think Saleh is putting together the type of defense that can match up with the type of offense we’re going to run. Jets can easily be 5-wide with Davis/Mims/Crowder/Cole out wide and Moore in the backfield, where teams will need their dime set on the field to match up with that personnel and still have to worry about the run threat from Moore. It’s exciting.

That said, that explains the influx of DBs, even the ones who are actually playing DB. MC2 is a true nickel and Nichols and Pinnock are going to compete on the outside. We have Bryce Hall, Bless Austin, Justin Hardee, Lamar Jackson, and Javelin Guidry atop the depth chart. I personally love the approach of bringing in a ton of high upside athletic guys that have potential if properly coaches and let them compete for the right to play. Let’s see if we can’t find a diamond in the rough.

Also I LOVE how that Isaiah Dunn kid plays. We might have found something with him. 

Fred Warner has been LB all the way.

I have no issues with what Saleh seems like he is doing at LB. KONY convinced me with Nas during the FFMD mock draft (see, I can learn). Saleh has said he wants speed on D. But that is why the Sherwood pick is a head scratcher. He does not fit that mold. He is even slower than many traditional LB’s (4.72) including a 7.15 3 cone. And this is in a year where pro days seem to be reporting numbers that are unbelievable. Picking him where we did just really seemed like a reach. He probably could have been had in round 6.

Beyond that, the rest of the picks in day 3 fit the mold of fast and athletic. Should be fun to watch a lot of them flying around the field to break up passes.