2021 Draft Day Thread

NewAge

I mean let’s be real... does this LB core need JOK? Not really. We have money. Ok sure we will resign Davis after this season. Let Cashman try out the 3rd spot or draft a guy in the mid rounds. LB is one of the easiest positions to get production out of in mid rounds. Especially if you have a good DL (which we do).

Jenkins for me is the easy pick 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

JDs job is to grab talent. Not spread out talent. Explain to Saleh that he’s the bpa, hits a need still and that protecting our new QB is vastly more important than nearly anything else for this team.

JD’s job is to build a TEAM by getting players that will make all three phases of the game better. I have already explained why I think going OL at 34 is not something they will do so I won’t rehash that. At this point, I think JOK is the option or a slight trade down for a CB. Regardless, I think it will be a prospect for the D.

If the Jets trade down enough to recoup a third round pick, Ifeatu, Campbell, or Adebo could be the targets. 

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Ok sure we will resign Davis after this season. Let Cashman try out the 3rd spot or draft a guy in the mid rounds

But they are all inside LB. We do have a need for an OLB. Saleh would want one. I certainly have no problem with a big nickel S playing that role. In our FFMD mock we got Nasilrideen.  Unfortunately, we don’t have that third any more which is kind of his landing spot.  We will not be getting any starting caliber LB in the 4th or later. 

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

JD’s job is to build a TEAM by getting players that will make all three phases of the game better. I have already explained why I think going OL at 34 is not something they will do so I won’t rehash that. At this point, I think JOK is the option or a slight trade down for a CB. Regardless, I think it will be a prospect for the D.

If the Jets trade down enough to recoup a third round pick, Ifeatu, Campbell, or Adebo could be the targets. 

Put that’s my point. So your ignoring talent on offense just to draft defense. There’s no CB worth that 34th pick (I’m not a Samuel fan this high). LB when you have a Mosley and Davis is not a need this high. And edge same thing. We have 4 guys that would get snaps over this 34th pick at edge.

So we’d be selecting defense pretty much just to select defense.

Grab starters!!! Jenkins would start for us at RG and can be moved to RT long term. Williams would be our starting RB. Etc. there’s several guys on offense that would start for us right now if we drafted then that are 100% worthy of the pick. 

The good thing with JOK and why he should be an option for us is versatility. He can play LB in the 4-3, play the slot when we play big nickel, and play the box. He’s a good zone and man defender. And he can fly around the field. We don’t have that type of player.

We also would be reaching. He’s a top 15 prospect.

Can’t go wrong with either him or Jenkins.

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

The good thing with JOK and why he should be an option for us is versatility. He can play LB in the 4-3, play the slot when we play big nickel, and play the box. He’s a good zone and man defender. And he can fly around the field. We don’t have that type of player.

We also would be reaching. He’s a top 15 prospect.

Can’t go wrong with either him or Jenkins.

I’ll be honest... dude reminds me of the LB version of Pryor. He goes for the big hit WAY too much. And fails to wrap up a lot of the time. Best trait for a LB is tackling. And he’s more of a hitter than a tackler. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So your ignoring talent on offense just to draft defense. There’s no CB worth that 34th pick (I’m not a Samuel fan this high).

I do not advocate taking any D player at 34. I said that. What I am advocating for is to trade down, recoup the TRP and get CB or OLB. I can understand if OLB is bypassed based on the idea of the big nickel concept. I am not the biggest fan of JOK because he may be taken off in obvious run situations. But I would like to see a starting caliber CB. That is no different than you wanting to see a starting caliber OL or RB.

I also stated that if we pick Jenkins or another iOL (preferably Jenkins), I will be happy. Our OL will be dominant come next year.  But GM’s do look at future financial impact and this would be an issue in a few years. Couple that with the idea that JD may be happy having the OGs we currently have battling it out for RG spot. Right now, CB is our biggest need. Trade down and get one. Get a TRP and draft Kendrick Green to add to the RG competition or a RB. 

THE DRAFT STARTS 7:00 ET TONIGHT. It looks like a short night for us we pick at 34 in the second round and we have no third round pick and we won't pick again till Saturday. We cane into the drafts with six picks in the first 107 players. And I though we would come away with at least five solid starters, we are going to be hard pressed to come away with four. This is nobody's fault we had to make moves to get the player we wanted. After we pick at 34 which should be around 7:35 pm I am going to bale out i am not going to sit there and watch 73 players come off the board before we pick on Saturday.

I think the trade up price was steep. But the talent is worth it IMO. So I have zero issue with going quality over quantity. We’ve accumulated all these picks to be able to do things like that. So I’m happy we did. I said I didn’t want more trade backs Bc we have plenty of picks these next couple drafts. I’d rather trade up and get great players. And that’s what happened.

So for me I want us to stay at 34, grab a great player. And then if there’s a guy we love in the 3rd... move up and get him. We have 2 picks in each of the 4,5, 6 rounds. So continue getting quality.