Jaguars sign TE Tim Tebow

RaidersAreOne

28 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

It isn't even like Tebow was some special athlete back in the day.  Decent athlete and good for a QB, but not to the point where we should expect him to still be able to keep up with everyone at 33, soon to be 34.  I can say with absolute confidence that while there might not be any "downside," there is absolutely no upside, and I can't believe people are seriously suggesting otherwise.  A guy who sucked when he was in the NFL and who hasn't played in 8 years and will be 34 by the start of the regular season is not going to suddenly become a solid contributor.  

The ONLY reason it is happening is because Meyer likes Tebow.  And that is okay, I guess.  But let's not try and pretend it is for any other reason.  Nobody else with those "credentials" would even be considered even slightly, unless they were an elite athlete back in their day... which Tebow was not.

Tebow was quite good as an option QB with Meyer. His game didn't translate because he sucked at throwing the ball...but as a gadget guy like Taysom Hill...I think he may have some value (though likely not a bunch). But the Jags TE room sucks. So he may have more value than the rest of those guys. True story

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pwny said:

Why would you waste a 90 man roster spot on him? Because every other option that was just given is a known complete waste and offers no upside over even someone like Manhertz who also can’t catch. At least Tebow offers the possibility that he could maybe be used in different ways and find some value sort of value as a receiver or a runner. And if he doesn’t? There’s a list of 37 players that the Jaguars will cut that he can become part of.

Can we stop saying this?  Tim Tebow does not offer any upside or a possibility of him being successful in different ways.  Do ya'll really think the NFL is that easy?

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

@Adrenaline_Flux kinda stole my thunder a bit as I'm writing this, but...

the level of outrage over an end-of-roster league-minimum tight end is truly astounding

and I'm here for it.

I'll be here for it when he makes the 53 as well

and when Lawrence and QB2 both get injured in their surprise playoff birth...

and when Etienne motions to the slot and runs a short slant across the middle on the last play of the game, Jaguars down six...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

If signing Tebow falls under that as well, then yea, we do. 

Only one of us is listing a guy who had 48 yards receiving last year as a competent receiving tight end.

The rest of us recognize that all the remaining options suck and that it’s not a big deal whether you sign the guy who can’t stay healthy, the guy who has proven he can’t catch at the NFL level or the guy who is an unknown and will probably suck. Who cares? None of them have any value.

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

the level of outrage over an end-of-roster league-minimum tight end is truly astounding

and I'm here for it.

and when Etienne motions to the slot and runs a short slant across the middle on the last play of the game, Jaguars down six...

Hell yeah. This is the the type of content I'm here for.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

because he knows Urban Meyer's culture and brings more interest & marketing options than those other TEs. Again, we're talking about a roster spot on the 90 that likely is just going to be a camp and preseason body. The mere fact that there is a thread about him with 14+ pages of discussion is EXACTLY why he's a better option than these Old Yeller TEs that casuals wouldn't be able to identify in a police lineup. 

Exactly. Saying that Tebow doesn't deserve an opportunity while competing through camp is nothing more than haterade.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

Only one of us is listing a guy who had 48 yards receiving last year as a competent receiving tight end.

The rest of us recognize that all the remaining options suck and that it’s not a big deal whether you sign the guy who can’t stay healthy, the guy who has proven he can’t catch at the NFL level or the guy who is an unknown and will probably suck. Who cares? None of them have any value.

I didn’t realize we were limited to a receiving TE only, so I might have missed that. My bad. 

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

So then you agree it is a joke signing.  Which is 100% okay.  Let's just not try and make it seem like anything more than that.  When it comes to football though, it is dumb move.  They explain it well here too.

And he's right.  Imagine someone came up to you and said, let's hire this guy who hasn't done this in 8 years, and let's switch is position.  Nobody would dare sign him.  

So I don't get what ya'll are disagreeing with.  It is a undeniably bad football signing.  It is a good signing for $$ and publicity.  I don't think there is any serious long-term downside to it, I just find it rather silly.

let me put it this way

if you, as a fan of a completely different team, are more upset about the signing of 3rd-5th string TE than the fans of that team, I think the joke is on you.

Even if it's a bad football signing (I say if, because I've learned to never say never when it comes to football and the NFL) then it's something that won't matter at all 4-5 months from now and ultimately is not going to have much effect on how the Jaguars perform in 2021 and beyond. This was a 1-15 team last year. This team can afford to do weird, outside-the-box stuff right now. It's not like we're the Green Bay Packers asking Aaron Rodgers to get back to the Super Bowl with Tim Tebow as the starting TE. We were the worst team in football in 2020 and are just bringing in an athlete who sells in attention and merch to see if he can finagle his way into a TE3/Taysom Hill role. It's a no-risk, low-reward move.

8 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

and I'm here for it.

Nude for GM

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

let me put it this way

if you, as a fan of a completely different team, are more upset about the signing of 3rd-5th string TE than the fans of that team, I think the joke is on you.

This is a weird response.  Because it has nothing to do with what I've said.

I'm not upset by them signing him, hell I didn't even post in this thread until a couple of pages ago.  And the reason why I responded is because people were seriously suggesting that he's got upside.  Have I ever said that I hate this signing?  I think it's a dumb signing football-wise (again, something that shouldn't be up for debate), but I also get why they did it - publicity, attention, maybe helps out in the locker-room, etc.  

It is a no-risk, no-reward move.  And again, that's okay.  I just don't get why some of you are trying to act like he's got some untapped upside lol that is crazy.  

Edited by iknowcool

10 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Exactly. Saying that Tebow doesn't deserve an opportunity while competing through camp is nothing more than haterade.

Why do you think he deserves the opportunity?

Call me a hater if you would like, but I am genuinely curious.  What has he done to deserve the opportunity?