Jaguars sign TE Tim Tebow

RaidersAreOne

Just now, iknowcool said:

This is a weird response.  Because it has nothing to do with what I've said.

I'm not upset by them signing him, hell I didn't even post in this thread until a couple of pages ago.  And the reason why I responded is because people were seriously suggesting that he's got upside.  I think it is a ridiculous assertion.

It is a no-risk, no-reward move.  And that's okay.  I just don't get why some of you are trying to act like he's got some untapped upside lol that is crazy.

sorry, admittedly I was mentally grouping you in with some of the others in this thread

I won't call it no-reward just because the NFL can be weird sometimes. The fact that Tebow ever went in the first round at all and would win football games in dramatic fashion including in the playoffs is example of that. There have been many other, weird stories. I don't expect him to make the roster, and he may not even make it to August, but I'll stop short of saying there's no upside there because I'm not going to pretend to be a fortune-teller. I didn't see the workout he had with the Jaguars and I don't know what kind of athletic shape he's in currently.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I think it's a dumb signing football-wise (again, something that shouldn't be up for debate), but I also get why they did it - publicity, attention, maybe helps out in the locker-room, etc.

I think those reasons are why it's not a dumb football signing. It's a strange one, yes. but I think when we're talking about a spot that may not make the final roster, those are as good of reasons as any. Assuming we keep 3 TEs, there's probably 1 TE spot available that will go either to a young developmental TE (Luke Farrell, Tyler Davis) or a vet TE/Tim Tebow. I don't think any of the street TEs mentioned in this thread provide better value than Tebow does because even if they were to make the roster, I don't envision their potential on-field contributions to be as valuable as those other things that Tebow offers. and if Tebow somehow can contribute in a TE3 role or as a Taysom Hill type (again, it's a very low likelihood) then that undoubtedly puts him ahead of those other street TEs. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Why do you think he deserves the opportunity?

Call me a hater if you would like, but I am genuinely curious.  What has he done to deserve the opportunity?

Because Urban Meyer thinks that he can help them. He was never a great NFL prospect...but it's undeniable that he had some level of success at UF with Meyer. Tons of these guys are brought in every year...most of them don't pan out. Tebow probably won't...but I'm just curious why you are so against him getting an opportunity. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I didn’t realize we were limited to a receiving TE only, so I might have missed that. My bad. 

Our TE roster right now

Chris Manhertz - one of the best blocking TEs, who cannot catch

Luke Farrell - a primary blocking TE who maybe can develop as a receiver, but is gonna need 2+ years to have any value there

Tyler Davis - a slow plodder of a runner who even if his hands develop, isn’t going to be any kind of weapon.

James O’Shaughnessy - our best receiving TE, and a guy who is likely to never eclipse 200 yards again. Just completely pedestrian. Still primarily a better blocker. 

We’re completely full on the inline primary blocking TE. We have a massive need for the move/receiving threat TE. We were in on the big receiving names in this Free Agent class and whiffed on our attempts to sign someone who could be good. Urban also inquired on the price to trade up for Pitts.

So instead of just saying “I guess I’ll die” with a shrug, we’re taking a shot in the dark for the 90 man roster on a one in a hundred chance that Tebow can add any kind of value to a position there’s nobody else who can do anything.

I don’t like Tebow by any means, and even had an “even if he’s released” sig on the old site for like a year and a half. But like I don’t get why everyone is losing their minds over this. He’s incredibly likely to suck, but it’s the 90 man roster and every other option at this point sucks too. 

• Like 3

Just now, Adrenaline_Flux said:

sorry, admittedly I was mentally grouping you in with some of the others in this thread

I won't call it no-reward just because the NFL can be weird sometimes. The fact that Tebow ever went in the first round at all and would win football games in dramatic fashion including in the playoffs is example of that. There have been many other, weird stories. I don't expect him to make the roster, and he may not even make it to August, but I'll stop short of saying there's no upside there because I'm not going to pretend to be a fortune-teller. I didn't see the workout he had with the Jaguars and I don't know what kind of athletic shape he's in currently.

I will say this, if Tebow were to make the 53-man roster and turn into a solid contributor (not even a starter, just contribute on special teams or in the run game), then it will definitely be one of the best sports stories in a long time.  At least in my opinion.

I get how I can come across as if I don't like him.  I don't really have an opinion either way about him honestly, I just think this is a really weird move to make.  Cause on one end, I get it... he's going to work hard and he's going to be a great guy to have around, and he's absolutely gonna sell a lot of jerseys and/or merchandise.  Business-wise, it's smart as hell.  But on the other end, it's just such a silly football move.  I wouldn't even know how I would feel as a teammate.  

But like ya'll said, it is just training camp.  I really really really doubt he makes the 53-man roster (but I suppose there IS a chance) so it doesn't really matter much.  And at least it'll be entertaining.  I'd love it if I were a Jags fan.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, iknowcool said:

And at least it'll be entertaining.  I'd love it if I were a Jags fan.

I think this is a big thing that gets lost in translation with fans of other teams too. I was passionately against drafting Tebow in 2010 or trading for him when the Broncos were moving him. I did not see him as a viable QB option and wanted no part in the media circus, especially the circus involved with him returning to Jacksonville.

In 2021 with him coming back after years of being away and in a new position (one many thought he should have been from the start) in a situation where our QB situation is secure... it's fun. It's a fun story and as a fan of a 1-15 team last year, I'm embracing doing the weird stuff right now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I think this is a big thing that gets lost in translation with fans of other teams too. I was passionately against drafting Tebow in 2010 or trading for him when the Broncos were moving him. I did not see him as a viable QB option and wanted no part in the media circus, especially the circus involved with him returning to Jacksonville.

In 2021 with him coming back after years of being away and in a new position (one many thought he should have been from the start) in a situation where our QB situation is secure... it's fun. It's a fun story and as a fan of a 1-15 team last year, I'm embracing doing the weird stuff right now. 

The Jags shouldn't be good this year, even if Lawrence is what we think he will be. Anything that can help change the culture and bring some level of excitement over...I'm all for. If Tebow some how makes the active roster and pitches in with a random tackle or plods for a wildcat QB...it'd be great. The Jags aren't one player away...Tebow is very unlikely to either help or hurt the Jags this year. That's completely beside the point.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Can we stop saying this?  Tim Tebow does not offer any upside or a possibility of him being successful in different ways.  Do ya'll really think the NFL is that easy?

I don’t think it’s easy by any means. But I do think that Tebow has a better shot at being an impact receiver/runner/gadget player even as mediocre as someone like Brad Smith than any of the other TEs available have a chance of adding any value as a move/receiving TE.

The possibility is very low. I don’t think he has any real shot at making the 53 man roster. But he’s not taking the spot of someone who is going to be able to contribute to the team. It’s a shot in the dark at a position that there are no viable options for us. 

• Like 4

I guess if you would have shown me highlights of Tim Tebow throwing in 2011, and told me that same guy would throw for 300+ yards in a winning playoff game, I would have said absolutely no way to that too.  So who knows.

That stretch had to have been some of the most fun being a football fan.  Dude would literally look like the worst player on the field for 3+ quarters, but always found a way to win in the end.  I mean he was pretty bad but still in a way surprising to me that he never got another QB start after that season.  You would have thought at least one time would be like what the heck.  But I suppose the media attention really was excessive lol

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

If you're making the argument that this signing is just for publicity, then good I agree.

If you're making the argument for literally any football-related reason, I don't know what to tell you. I said this exact same thing when the Mets signed him - you're taking away a roster spot from someone who could actually help the team on the field for a guy who is just going to be there to sell merchandise, and that doesn't sit well with me. Never has, and never will. And we can debate the merit of the 90th roster spot in camp all we want, but I know from being a Ravens fan and following the Seahawks how often those teams hit on UDFA signings, so when you're actively choosing to sacrifice a roster spot for a guy like Tebow, it just doesn't sit well with me.