Jaguars sign TE Tim Tebow

RaidersAreOne

25 minutes ago, pwny said:

Who are these players available to sign that are going to be a good receiving tight end? Who are we missing out on? It's easy to say "there's someone out there who could be a good receiving TE" but not one person has mentioned a player that actually fits the move TE spot that the team is getting weird trying to address.

But I get it, Tebow is a big name so it deserves to be ridiculed by fans

the tebow signing does deserve to be ridiculed. but not because his name is big

while he only was signed due to his name (and ties to Meyer), that's not inherently why the move is bad. its because he's a 30+ guy who has never played TE. are they going to gimmick it up and try him out as punt protector too?

its just a stupid move. its ok. im a raider fan, we've been there done that.

Edited by Turnobili

you actually want to take a flier on a FA tight end who might be able to catch a pass here and there?

Trey Burton is probably the easiest example of a guy who is still available and has at least shown he can do that job decently well. heck Richard Rodgers or Jesse James would be preferable to a guy like Tebow.  its just a circus acquisition 

Edited by Turnobili

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

He also wasnt just sitting on a couch for the past 6 years fwiw:

Omg wtf was Tebow doing? He's JACKED...wasn't he training for baseball? How did this happen? :D

I'd be lying if I didn't want a little Tebowmania to happen again. I wouldn't be surprised if this time it was in the form of a buttfumble though!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

cant wait for him to make the roster, and see all the "haters were wrong" comments after he catches a 2 yard out

Man, you're going all in on this huh...

1 hour ago, pwny said:

Yes, teams have a couple guys make the roster every year and some turn out to be really good players. They also have 37 players every single year that they bring into camp that don’t make the 53 man roster.

They’re not just signing him at the expense of one random UDFA, they’re signing him at the expense of the player that they think is the worst of the 90 players they’d otherwise be bringing into camp. So how often does a guy go from being viewed as the worst player to show up to camp to being a guy who makes the team?

So....why not bring him in as an assistant coach then and not waste the roster spot? At least then you don't have to pretend like you believe a 34 year-old ex-QB can play TE.

13 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

Trey Burton is probably the easiest example of a guy who is still available and has at least shown he can do that job decently well.

So your complaint is that Tebow is a washed up player who can't play TE and the only team that would sign him is the Jaguars, because he played at Florida for Urban Meyer, and your solution is to sign a washed up player who can't play move TE and the only team that would sign him is the Jaguars, because he played at Florida for Urban Meyer.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So....why not bring him in as an assistant coach then and not waste the roster spot? At least then you don't have to pretend like you believe a 34 year-old ex-QB can play TE.

It might be because the team has a need for a move TE that can't be addressed at this moment by conventional means so they're trying to throw something at the wall in hopes that it sticks before they have to make a decision to trade away mid-high draft picks to acquire a TE or go into the season without one. Meanwhile, there's no such hole on the coaching staff. That's probably why.

12 minutes ago, pwny said:

It might be because the team has a need for a move TE that can't be addressed at this moment by conventional means so they're trying to throw something at the wall in hopes that it sticks before they have to make a decision to trade away mid-high draft picks to acquire a TE or go into the season without one. Meanwhile, there's no such hole on the coaching staff. That's probably why.

what in the sam hell is a "move" TE and why would they think a 34 year-old who already had average athleticism when he "retired" from the NFL would solve that?

If that position isn't important, why waste the roster spot? If that position is important, why waste the roster spot? There's like an infinite number of BS assistant/intern coaching titles. Just make one up if you want him to be there for PR.

Some observations I’ve made from the thread:

- It’s a zero-upside move. About as zero-upside as any move you can make in the NFL. Guy’s 33 years old, hasn’t been in the league for nearly a decade, and is now going to learn & contribute at a position that he’s never played? A position that he’s never shown any corresponding skills with? Might as well bring in Cardale Jones to see what he can do at defensive end - after all, we’ve seen crazier right?

- Don’t buy the locker room presence shtick. No doubt he galvanized the Broncos....when he was their starter. What about when he was the backup? What about the Jets locker room? What about the non-existent tenure he had with NE? I get each locker room is different, but what evidence is there that Tim’s going to be a presence for the team?The idea that a 27th string tight end, even if he made the final 53 (massive stretch), is going to have some sort of noticeable impact on the locker room is silly. He was more of a distraction than a positive influence, at least on his last two teams.

- “Crazy things have happened, so I’m not putting it past Tim to workout here”, noooonsense. What sounds crazier: a FRP QB that struggles to pass but can obviously run, in his second season, takes over a mediocre team and wins a playoff game or a 33-year old quarterback who was shown the door by three teams, hasn’t seen the league in years, is going to learn a position he’s never played (on any level)? Obvious answer. The “anything can happen, so why not” really stretches only so far.

And also, this: 

On 5/1/2021 at 12:31 AM, Yin-Yang said:

aXsIzgKxBO4jw6Ug6SwGfFlI5c1sSO8L8d1SX9uC

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Man, you're going all in on this huh...

no doubt there's a degree of troll bait in some of these posts (mostly out of entertainment after pwny started responding to comments about jersey sales lol). 

but the sentiment about the signing being nothing more than a circus PR stunt is 100% genuine

23 minutes ago, pwny said:

So your complaint is that Tebow is a washed up player who can't play TE and the only team that would sign him is the Jaguars, because he played at Florida for Urban Meyer, and your solution is to sign a washed up player who can't play move TE and the only team that would sign him is the Jaguars, because he played at Florida for Urban Meyer.

except there are reasons to sign Trey Burton other than the fact that he played at Florida for Urban Meyer.

thats why in one of my previous comments i specifically said that the Tebow signing isnt stupid on the grounds that it was a nepotism signing, but because he's never played the position, has been out of the game for about a decade, and its transparently a stunt at best.

i dont know what your fascination is with this concept of Tebow being a better candidate for "move TE" considering Burton HAS absolutely played that position.