Jaguars sign TE Tim Tebow

RaidersAreOne

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

There are 17 games a season now, no reason you can’t top those rookie numbers! 

Nah, I like the Jags. Thought they were into something earlier, think the same now. This move doesn’t move the needle one way or the other. It’s like, hiring a new water boy. Or switching from blue Gatorade to yellow Gatorade. But those things don’t get threads.

As long as Trevor is out there, I honestly don’t care who they sign. Tony Khan could lineup at TE and I wouldn’t care less.

This is basically an invite to spring training (baseball reference). See what he has, if he’s good, keep him. If he sucks, cya. 

1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

i'd random pluck a random undrafted TE as a flier than sign a QB thats been retired for a decade

And in the end, both likely end up in the same situation. Cut in August.

So yet again, who cares?

Just now, .Buzz said:

And in the end, both likely end up in the same situation. Cut in August.

So yet again, who cares?

one is a good faith flier. the other is a publicity stunt. people are going to laugh at circus moves. apparently some people are going to defend them.

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Except no one's saying he'll be noteworthy...

So?

Check again, homie. Certainly people that've been entertaining the idea that he could bring something to the table. 

A former bust QB that couldn’t make three teams in a season and a half. One that’s never blocked, caught passes, or ran routes. One that’s been out of the league for years in order to try and play baseball (failed as well). One that’s going to be 34 years old. 

I mean, come on. Your funny bone has to be malfunctioning if you think that that notion isn’t pure comedy!

11 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

one is a good faith flier. the other is a publicity stunt. people are going to laugh at circus moves. apparently some people are going to defend them.

A publicity stunt huh. So the first year HC Urban Meyer did this to get more publicity/eyes on him when...literally all the eyes/media is on him (and even more so after taking a generational QB prospect 1st overall).

But yeah, the 34 year old back of the roster guy is going to steal the show.

7 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

As long as Trevor is out there, I honestly don’t care who they sign. Tony Khan could lineup at TE and I wouldn’t care less.

This is basically an invite to spring training (baseball reference). See what he has, if he’s good, keep him. If he sucks, cya. 

Might as well sign Brock Lesnar to try his arm out at QB then! Like Tim, Brock’s shown nothing to suggest he can play the position, flamed out of the NFL at a different position, and is just a name for people to recognize.

Brock has had success in another sport, though. So maybe that’s an unfair comparison...

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Check again, homie. Certainly people that've been entertaining the idea that he could bring something to the table. 

A former bust QB that couldn’t make three teams in a season and a half. One that’s never blocked, caught passes, or ran routes. One that’s been out of the league for years in order to try and play baseball (failed as well). One that’s going to be 34 years old. 

I mean, come on. Your funny bone has to be malfunctioning if you think that that notion isn’t pure comedy!

I already said this was great for the LOLz.

Please show me a quote where people think he'll be noteworthy. The most optimistic of takes I've noticed are one's saying none of the options are good, why not take a shot in the dark on the guy and see what happens. If that's thinking he'll be noteworthy then...

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

A publicity stunt huh. So the first year HC Urban Meyer did this to get more publicity/eyes on him when...literally all the eyes/media is on him (and even more so after taking a generational QB prospect 1st overall).

But yeah, the 34 year old back of the roster guy is going to steal the show.

You have no idea how crazy it can get...

8 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

You have no idea how crazy it can get...

That was like a decade ago when he was a former 1st round pick and was competing for a starting QB gig.

He's going to bring noise to our TE room and push for a back of the depth chart spot? I mean, if he does that'd be an amazing story that I'd be completely here for if he shows the ability.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

what in the sam hell is a "move" TE and why would they think a 34 year-old who already had average athleticism when he "retired" from the NFL would solve that?

If that position isn't important, why waste the roster spot? If that position is important, why waste the roster spot? There's like an infinite number of BS assistant/intern coaching titles. Just make one up if you want him to be there for PR.

If you don’t even know the details of the position he’ll be asked to play, why are you so fervently sure he’ll be incapable of proving worthy of being a camp body at the position and are certain that there’s better options out there?

Urban Meyer’s system uses two different types of TEs. One is the in-line (Y) who is your tradional blocker, the other is the move (F) tight end, which just as the name implies is the guy you move all around the formation. It’s a receiver, a runner, a guy who you use in the option, a guy you might even have throw the ball 3-4 times a season to catch a defense off guard, just all of that stuff. All but the receiving part of it is stuff that Tebow has a history of doing with Urban.

Is it an important position? Yes. And as such, we were in on a handful of the better TE free agents and Urban also asked about the price to move up for Pitts.

As for why bother, that’s a reasonable question. He wasn’t their first option even post draft. Reports are they contacted three different teams about getting a TE after the draft; believed to be Ertz, Hurst and Njoku, but that they didn’t like the price they heard back at this point. So really the options are: shelve the position for a year, play someone there who has none of the skills to play any aspects of the position, sign someone who can’t run anymore or who is an injury waiting to happen, or sign a guy who has a history of fitting some of the designs and see what happens. The last bit, the Tebow part, has the added benefit that if the trade price comes down on those TEs or someone gets released, the Jaguars can go sign that guy and the team has some time spent practicing those concepts so that the only one who has to get installed into those plays is the new TE, rather than everyone learning it for the first time.

Hope that helps.

13 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

People show me a quote where people think he'll be noteworthy. The most optimistic of takes I've noticed are one's saying none of the options are good, why not take a shot in the dark on the guy and see what happens. If that's thinking he'll be noteworthy then...

Correction, I said those entertaining the idea that he’d be noteworthy. Important distinction.

But here’s a few (and give me a break, it was very hard to discern the genuine attempts at defending this with the over-the-top sarcastic jokes - they are both very similar). Funnily enough, many are from you!

On 4/29/2021 at 4:00 PM, dtait93 said:

The guy has unparalleled leadership ability which is what you want in your locker room coming off a 1-15 season. If he’s capable of being a 3rd string/gadget type of player what’s the harm? Seems beneficial to me

On 4/30/2021 at 5:27 PM, sammymvpknight said:

Even at an older age I’m sure Meyer can make use of him 

On 5/8/2021 at 5:14 PM, Tugboat said:

If anything though, i would think having a "Tebow circus" around as a distraction, could end up being a positive thing when it comes to diverting some of the "pressure" and "spotlight" on Lawrence. 

6 hours ago, dtait93 said:

I see it as a net positive tbh.

6 hours ago, .Buzz said:

One happened to have played under Meyer and has an incredibly tight relationship who likely brings something, at worst, to the locker room.

6 hours ago, .Buzz said:

There's also at least an unknown/upside to Tebow that most on that FA market your referring to don't provide.

6 hours ago, .Buzz said:

If, for some wild reason, he is in great shape/comes in and provides something then what?

5 hours ago, pwny said:

He’s getting a spot on the 90 man roster. That’s all that’s been decided yet. Plenty of guys who don’t belong on NFL rosters get invites to the 90 man roster. In fact a good 25+ of them on every single team will never get another chance after the single chance they get in camp. 

Why would you waste a 90 man roster spot on him? Because every other option that was just given is a known complete waste and offers no upside over even someone like Manhertz who also can’t catch. At least Tebow offers the possibility that he could maybe be used in different ways and find some value sort of value as a receiver or a runner. And if he doesn’t? There’s a list of 37 players that the Jaguars will cut that he can become part of.

5 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Even if it's a bad football signing (I say if, because I've learned to never say never when it comes to football and the NFL) 

So yeah, I’d say there are certainly people entertaining the idea that Tebow brings something positive or even, dare I say, noteworthy, to the Jags. 

tenor.gif

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Correction, I said those entertaining the idea that he’d be noteworthy. Important distinction.

But here’s a few (and give me a break, it was very hard to discern the genuine attempts at defending this with the over-the-top sarcastic jokes - they are both very similar). Funnily enough, many are from you!

So yeah, I’d say there are certainly people entertaining the idea that Tebow brings something positive or even, dare I say, noteworthy, to the Jags. 

tenor.gif

Buddy, if those quotes are what you're referring to then it is incredibly easy to amuse you (even if you are as low on Tebow as anyone out there).

But I guess too each their own.

16 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

That was like a decade ago when he was a former 1st round pick and was competing for a starting QB gig.

He's going to bring noise to our TE room and push for a back of the depth chart spot? I mean, if he does that'd be an amazing story that I'd be completely here for if he shows the ability.

Get ready. 

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Buddy, if those quotes are what you're referring to then it is incredibly easy to amuse you (even if you are as low on Tebow as anyone out there).

But I guess too each their own.

I think it’s far more likely that perhaps there was a little rain today in FL and someone refuses to look at the funny side of things. 

Tebow. A grandfather for a tight end. Never caught passes. Never blocked. Never ran routes. Never played tight end. Didn’t make it in the league, three times. Didn’t make it in his next venture. Hasn’t touched a football field in a relevant way in over half a decade. He’s got “upside” and might provide something? With his unparalleled leadership? 

Come on! Laugh a little.