Jaguars sign TE Tim Tebow

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

He was signed because he knows Urban Meyer.  Any idea that he was signed for any other reason is just ludicrous.  

I mean be honest.  If I made a thread last year posting a video of Tebow working out in shorts, and said a team should sign him and switch him to tight end, you would have considered it reasonable?

Yes, he was a good athlete coming out... in 2010.  It's 2021.  He hasn't played football in god knows how long.  He's switching to a new position.  He was never good at the one position he did play.  Please stop trying to act like this move was done for any other reason than the obvious.  If Urban Meyer wasn't the head coach of the Jags, Tebow wouldn't be back.

And again... that is okay.  It is just training camp.  Tebow brings publicity and sells merchandise.  There is no harm in signing Tim Tebow.  But stop trying to make it sound like Tebow has any football-related reason to be signed on an NFL team in 2021.  A team would never sign a player out of the league for 8 years at his age while switching him to another position.  I'm not saying his athleticism is "zapped", I'm saying it is not good enough to make up for the fact he likely does not know how to play the tight end position.  

Everyone keeps bringing up how people are "hating" on Tebow, but this is why.  The idea that he truly earned this spot on an NFL team is crazy talk.  He knows Meyer and Meyer knows him, and they love each other.  But you can't convince me a guy who hasn't played football as long as Tebow hasn't, and who hasn't ever played tight end, somehow earned it because he worked out with the tight end coach lol

Nobody is arguing that he has "truly earning this spot". Very few people actually think that he is going to make the team. And those those give him an outside chance are only doing so because 1) the Jags have a weak roster, 2) Tebow was a beast with Meyer at UF, 3) the Jags are complete crap at TE, and 4) the guy is a Jacksonville legend. The moment he steps on the field in a Jags uniform is the moment is his the most recognized Jaguar in franchise history...and it is not even close. Mark Brunell? Pffttt. Fred Taylor? Pfffttt. Heck...Trevor Lawrence is not even remotely close to the celebrity that is Tim Tebow. The guy will sell jerseys and tickets...but more importantly he'll bring more excitement to the organization and help change the culture. It was much like when the Saints drafted Reggie Bush. Bush was a solid player...but his contributions went WAY past his ability to play football.

7 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

And so I'm saying how he looked athletically, in shorts, with a TE coach, isn't really relevant.  It doesn't prove he wasn't/isn't outmatched.  It doesn't mean he wouldn't have been signed, because the reason why he was signed never had anything to do with any credentials of his.  

If he was zapped athletically and couldn't hang with other players on the roster/isn't passing the eye test of being a pro athlete at his age, even with the relationship, he isn't being signed.

That's not to say when the pads come on/when it comes to actually playing the position he'll be anything more than camp fodder. Nor does that mean any other team would give him a shot/he deserves a shot.

Both can be true.

This thread is odd.

It feels like a whole bunch of Jaguars fans arguing this isn't a big deal but then for some reason responding to literally every post in here making sure everyone knows it's not a big deal.

Like, ok, it's no big deal, why argue for 30 pages about something your fan base has deemed insignificant lol

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

It feels like a whole bunch of Jaguars fans arguing this isn't a big deal but then for some reason responding to literally every post in here making sure everyone knows it's not a big deal.

I also hate the NFL Offseason ;) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

If he was zapped athletically and couldn't hang with other players on the roster, even with the relationship, he isn't being signed.

What makes you think there was any sound reasoning used behind this signing, such as evaluating and comparing his athleticism, when it is an illogical signing to begin with?

Like I just don't see how we can confidently say that Tebow wouldn't have been signed if he didn't prove ______, when clearly logic wasn't used when making this move anyway.  Why would a team want to dedicate coaching to try and teach a 33/34 year old player a new position, a position he might be able to last around and play for 1-2 years in the absolute best case scenario (which won't happen anyway)?  I get the whole "he's just the 90th player" but any team using logic would rather try and coach up a 23 or 24 year old.  So I don't think his work-out with a TE coach means anything.  This signing had nothing to do with reasoning or logic.

Edited by iknowcool

25 minutes ago, pwny said:

Josh Oliver had a hamstring injury that kept him out of camp his rookie year, then another hamstring injury that made him miss all of preseason and the first six games of a season, then fractured his back and missed the final 6 games of the season, and then got cleared to play and broke his foot like two weeks later and missed the entirety of his second season.

Is he even going to be cleared to practice at the start of camp?

Yeah, I haven't heard anything to the contrary at least

14 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

What makes you think there was any sound reasoning used behind this signing, such as evaluating and comparing his athleticism, when it is an illogical signing to begin with?

He has really good relationships with Jordan Reed and Trey Burton as well. The Jaguars really had a need for at least two players who can do these things at least through camp to be able to run with first and second teams. If he's only going to Tebow because of the combination of the obvious lack of talent at the position and his relationship with Tebow, while his athletic ability truly has completely zero bearing on the decision, why are neither of the other two also not on the roster? It seems like if they were just completely disregarding any concerns about athletic ability when it comes to players that Urban is very close to, wouldn't it stand to reason that the second move TE need would also have been filled by a player Urban is really close to in spite of their fast declining athletic ability?

21 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

You literally said earlier in this thread that anyone suggesting Tebow didn't deserve an opportunity was a hater.

I do think you're a hater. Tons of guys are brought in each year to every NFL team, and most don't pan out. Tebow is seemingly the only guy you have a problem being brought in...'cause haterade.

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Like I just don't see how we can confidently say that Tebow wouldn't have been signed if he didn't prove ______, when clearly logic wasn't used when making this move anyway.  

No one is saying there was anything he proved to get the shot. Again, I'm not sure where you're going with this.

Whole convo was about you stating he's zapped athletically because he's 34 and can't hang from an athletic standpoint. I said I'm not so sure.

37 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Especially within that style of offense, where a good portion of the time they'll be in the backfield as a hybrid H or even in the slot or flexed elsewhere to cause Red Zone mismatches against a smaller corner or a less athletic LB/S, even if they're completely useless as a blocker.

I agree

You don't need them to be the most complete player in the world

But if you have a guy who can increase your RZ TD rate from 60% to 65%, that might be worth a win or two over the course of a season with the amount of close games we have

Just now, Turnobili said:

if only the jag fans here just said "yeah, this is probably a dumb signing" and left it at that, this thread would be 1/3 the length

It would also be much shorter is the other fans just acknowledged that this is a 90th roster spot and even if though it's dumb, it's also completely inconsequential because all of the other current options are dumb too, and none of them will be consequential in any way.

It's hard to leave it "it's probably dumb" when the other side is making grand statements about how poor this completely inconsequential thing reflects on the team's decision making.