Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Couple things

(1) Funchess literally got EXACTLY a $10m/yr contract the year before he broke his collarbone. So, this had every appearance of a ridiculous value signing.

(2) You are proposing a move out of desperation to lose value by "going an extra mile" for a #2 WR when we just had the #1 offense in the league. Doesn't it make imminently more sense to use those resources at a weaker link on the team instead? Especially if you don't have to go any extra miles (i.e. spend more resources than you think someone is worth) to appease another player?

Re: Funchess. That doesn't mean it was a good contract. Lots of players get injured and come right back and perform at high levels. Why was the rest of the league unwilling to pony up anything approaching that contract for a guy who was now healthy? Probably because that contract was overpriced. 

There's no single formula for winning in the NFL. In '19, a great offense won the SB against a great defense. Just because a team is #1 in offense doesn't mean there's no upside left. Dominant offenses can win SB's. Imo, GB is a high-quality #2 away from being, not only the #1 offense, but literally unstoppable. Why did Gute pursue S-S this offseason?

7 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think if the Packers were convinced they had the next Mahomes in Jordan Love they would be helping to pack Rodgers bags and finding him a new location to play football.  Hopefully the kid has got the goods, but not sure anyone really knows yet.  Teammates of Mahomes say they knew right away that he was special .. not sure that's been the case with Love.

I think Tyreek Hill said he thought Mahomes didn't look good his rookie year and was questioning the pick. When the next year's camp rolled around, he saw a different player.

27 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

yes, plz

The alternative is:

Joe Buck: "Aaron Rodgers throws incomplete, again, looking for Jake Kumerow, his #1 WR. Those two have struggled to get it going together so far this season while limping to an 0-4 start."

Right because keeping a guy he trusts to run the right route and catch the ball as a 5th WR makes a huge difference. It's not like Aaron knows! What is he in practice with him and throwing him balls often? 

Just now, Les Punting said:

Re: Funchess. That doesn't mean it was a good contract. Lots of players get injured and come right back and perform at high levels. Why was the rest of the league unwilling to pony up anything approaching that contract for a guy who was now healthy? Probably because that contract was overpriced. 

There's no single formula for winning in the NFL. In '19, a great offense won the SB against a great defense. Just because a team is #1 in offense doesn't mean there's no upside left. Dominant offenses can win SB's. Imo, GB is a high-quality #2 away from being, not only the #1 offense, but literally unstoppable. Why did Gute pursue S-S this offseason?

I don't disagree that #2 WR is a position that COULD use an upgrade. But I disagree that the team should overextend themselves trying to upgrade it at the expense of a weaker position. You've observed it's a zero-sum game. @skibrett15 just pointed out he'd have preferred a #2 WR with Aaron Jones' money instead. Do you feel similarly? Or what positions/players would you sacrifice to afford a Will Fuller or JJSS?

Just now, incognito_man said:

I don't disagree that #2 WR is a position that COULD use an upgrade. But I disagree that the team should overextend themselves trying to upgrade it at the expense of a weaker position. You've observed it's a zero-sum game. @skibrett15 just pointed out he'd have preferred a #2 WR with Aaron Jones' money instead. Do you feel similarly? Or what positions/players would you sacrifice to afford a Will Fuller or JJSS?

Jeudy
WR #1a :)

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Um yes he's lying.  It hurt the players by stealing the spotlight away from what was supposed to be the biggest day of their lives. As far as members of the team I'll refer you to Big Dog's tweet.  No the snowflake is Aaron Rodgers.

Schefter probably is not lying.  Rodgers did not tell him as he needs plausible deniability so you let someone with knowledge of the situation talk about it. Could have been his agent, could have been a player he is close to, could have also been someone inside 1265.

Let's face it.  You now have multiple reports of Rodgers doing the following:

1.  Telling free agents not to come to Green Bay because he would not be there in 2021.  (If true how if that not undermining the team, what is?).

2.  Chatting with other players and calling Gute...Krause.  Passive-aggressive nature shows again.

3.  Turned down an offer to restructure his contract.  (Ok I can understand this...he wanted an extension and certainty).

4.  Turned down an offer to extend his contract.  (Now I'm a little confused...isn't this what he wanted).

5.  When told that the Packers were going to convert his Roster bonus to gain cap space (which they could do without his permission), he objected so the Packers did not do it.

6.  Made clear to the team he was finished with them and wanted to be traded to one of four teams.

7.  Reportedly was told of the trade offer from San Fran to the Packers from someone outside 1265 and let the Packers know they should have taken the offer.  (Now who could that have been).  

8.  Reported to be ACTIVELY investigating Denver's interest in him and was attempting to get more information on it.  How did he even know that Denver was interested before the draft?  (If its his agent...that's tampering)

I actually think Schefter did know of the discord but was told to keep a lid on it from both the Packers and from the Rodgers camp as Rodgers hoped he would get traded.  If the lid was kept on this and then he was traded to the 49er's as he hoped, Rodgers would say to Packer fans that he wanted to stay a Packer forever but Packer management traded him.  It would have boiled the fan base and Gute and Murphy would be vilified by the fans.  Rodgers would have looked like the victim and the fan base would have rallied around him.

But when the Packers turned down the 49'ers trade offer, the leaks turned into an open faucet.  Paul Allen talked about the trade Thursday morning on the radio about 2 hours before Schefter "broke" the story.  Once Paul talked about it (and he did not talk about the friction between Rodgers and the team), Schefter probably felt like he had no other choice as being 1st is important to guys like him and others would soon be talking about it.  With the stories breaking all around, he is losing control of the narrative....and if there is one thing I am certain of...he is a CONTROL FREAK.

Now, Rodgers is starting to look like the bad guy and he needs help.  Hey...time to call those team mates and let them do his PR work for him.  For a guy that has no problem telling EVERYONE he wants to be the Jeopardy host, he cannot seem to muster up enough courage to talk to reporters.  Of course, that would mean answering questions, which he is wise NOT to do.

If this gets resolved, he WILL throw the press under the bus as he always does and say they made up a bunch of stories and it was never as bad as reported (which may, or may not be true).

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Yep, Not talking about Rodgers involved in the draft at all.  Just acqusitions during TC and the season.   A vet WR get released, Rodgers thinks he might be a upgrade, go get him  (NO, WE HAVE TO KEEP ABBADARIS AROUND FOR YEARS).  Rodgers also will see how his contract affects their ability to get those guys and might be more inclined to do something.   

Just hear the guy out,  communication, communication, communication.  ask him what he thinks about getting player X.  You might be able to avoid all this stuff going on, and work the Love plan as planned.     

Maybe they did hear him out but his suggestions were rubbish.

He wanted to play with Graham and we signed him - the guys he wanted to keep would have been the wrong decision. He might just not be very good at playing GM

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

any WR in particular that fits under the cap around Jones' compensation?

I really like JuJu's contract at that level.  Obviously JuJu got a bigger 2021 cap hit, but lower GTD money, and only 1 year.

I also would have considered Emmanuel Sanders with 2021 "All-In" in mind on exactly the deal he got (5M for 1 year)

I don't love Jones' shelf life, I don't like that he has a decent amt of dead money in 2023 and 2024 and I think Dillon can provide similar production with our more than solid O-Line. 

3 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

Schefter probably is not lying.  Rodgers did not tell him as he needs plausible deniability so you let someone with knowledge of the situation talk about it. Could have been his agent, could have been a player he is close to, could have also been someone inside 1265.

Let's face it.  You now have multiple reports of Rodgers doing the following:

1.  Telling free agents not to come to Green Bay because he would not be there in 2021.  (If true how if that not undermining the team, what is?).

2.  Chatting with other players and calling Gute...Krause.  Passive-aggressive nature shows again.

3.  Turned down an offer to restructure his contract.  (Ok I can understand this...he wanted an extension and certainty).

4.  Turned down an offer to extend his contract.  (Now I'm a little confused...isn't this what he wanted).

5.  When told that the Packers were going to convert his Roster bonus to gain cap space (which they could do without his permission), he objected so the Packers did not do it.

6.  Made clear to the team he was finished with them and wanted to be traded to one of four teams.

7.  Reportedly was told of the trade offer from San Fran to the Packers from someone outside 1265 and let the Packers know they should have taken the offer.  (Now who could that have been).  

8.  Reported to be ACTIVELY investigating Denver's interest in him and was attempting to get more information on it.  How did he even know that Denver was interested before the draft?  (If its his agent...that's tampering)

I actually think Schefter did know of the discord but was told to keep a lid on it from both the Packers and from the Rodgers camp as Rodgers hoped he would get traded.  If the lid was kept on this and then he was traded to the 49er's as he hoped, Rodgers would say to Packer fans that he wanted to stay a Packer forever but Packer management traded him.  It would have boiled the fan base and Gute and Murphy would be vilified by the fans.  Rodgers would have looked like the victim and the fan base would have rallied around him.

But when the Packers turned down the 49'ers trade offer, the leaks turned into an open faucet.  Paul Allen talked about the trade Thursday morning on the radio about 2 hours before Schefter "broke" the story.  Once Paul talked about it (and he did not talk about the friction between Rodgers and the team), Schefter probably felt like he had no other choice as being 1st is important to guys like him and others would soon be talking about it.  With the stories breaking all around, he is losing control of the narrative....and if there is one thing I am certain of...he is a CONTROL FREAK.

Now, Rodgers is starting to look like the bad guy and he needs help.  Hey...time to call those team mates and let them do his PR work for him.  For a guy that has no problem telling EVERYONE he wants to be the Jeopardy host, he cannot seem to muster up enough courage to talk to reporters.  Of course, that would mean answering questions, which he is wise NOT to do.

If this gets resolved, he WILL throw the press under the bus as he always does and say they made up a bunch of stories and it was never as bad as reported (which may, or may not be true).

As I had mentioned earlier on I believe his agent leaked it.  Aaron would have had to sign off on it of course which he did. They wanted to apply maximum pressure to force a trade.  It was a complete fiasco and Rodgers is responsible. I really don't care about anything else.  The dude just alienated a good portion of his fans.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I really like JuJu's contract at that level.  Obviously JuJu got a bigger 2021 cap hit, but lower GTD money, and only 1 year.

I also would have considered Emmanuel Sanders with 2021 "All-In" in mind on exactly the deal he got (5M for 1 year)

I don't love Jones' shelf life, I don't like that he has a decent amt of dead money in 2023 and 2024 and I think Dillon can provide similar production with our more than solid O-Line. 

Emmanuel Sanders?  Yah no thanks.  Ju Ju is good.  Jones is a dynamic playmaker although pricey I think Gutey made the right call in brining him back.  He can do things Dillon can't.  ie receiving.  Dillon is a smashmouth runner completely different style.  

2 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Maybe they did hear him out but his suggestions were rubbish.

He wanted to play with Graham and we signed him - the guys he wanted to keep would have been the wrong decision. He might just not be very good at playing GM

Very true, but at this point you can veto his suggestion and explain why.  Doesn't sound like they listen at all.  This isn't about appeasing Rodgers, its all about buying time for Love.  

Just now, Scoremore said:

Emmanuel Sanders?  Yah no thanks.  Ju Ju is good.  Jones is a dynamic playmaker although pricey I think Gutey made the right call in brining him back.  He can do things Dillon can't.  ie receiving.  Dillon is a smashmouth runner completely different style.  

Sanders is old but he's very consistent and makes plays.  As a 1 year deal I don't see what there is to hate about what is obviously a short term move for a proven contributor.

Unless you think he's completely cooked (which there isn't much evidence of)

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

Sanders is old but he's very consistent and makes plays.  As a 1 year deal I don't see what there is to hate about what is obviously a short term move for a proven contributor.

Unless you think he's completely cooked (which there isn't much evidence of)

Rodgers to Gute:  what about Sanders, can we get him?

Gute:  Go back downstairs, we got Jeff Janis, and dont come up here again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Very true, but at this point you can veto his suggestion and explain why.  Doesn't sound like they listen at all.  This isn't about appeasing Rodgers, its all about buying time for Love.  

So GB font office is to listen to the input from Rodgers.  If they disagree and go a different route, you think Rodgers is all happy with that?

Rodgers was reportedly disregarding play calls from the HC and calling what he wanted.