Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Likely outcome but not guaranteed. The man still, allegedly doesn't speak with his family over some unknown beef. We're talking about a guy who is incredibly stubborn. Those people do not always use logic when making decisions. 

Also, I can't imagine it not affecting his play. 

There’s also tens of millions of dollars on the line and his legacy which he cares a ton about . 

It’s gonna affect his play alright, he’s gonna ball out. 

Buy your shares of GB now. 16-1 odds for the SB is a gift. I sure as hell took advantage of it. 

Again, we do not know his intention or his commitment. 

I think the greatest possibility is he wants a new contract and the Packers are trying to accommodate.

BUT for all we know he really is never going to play again for GB.  A lot easier to do that than to ignore your family for years.  That is a possibility 16-1 or not.

13 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Any of you guys ever consider he doesn't want to live and work in GB anymore?  He tried to force a trade on the day of the draft what does that tell you?  

Rodgers gets a reworked deal and stays in GB?  Doubt it because he doesn't want to play here.  He's already turned down a new offer from the Packers. 

If Love really shows something perhaps the Packers would have enough confidence to trade him before the season starts.  View this as unlikely but not impossible especially if Rodgers skips training camp.  Wish they would do this as it would maximize his trade value. 

Another possibility is he just refuses to show up at all.  Breaches his contract and is dead set on not returning.  The Packers finally give up and end up trading him in Sept/Oct.  Based on what we are hearing I'd rate this as the second most likely scenario.   We'll probably get less in trade but oh well. 

Most likely scenario is Rodgers shows up to training camp probably late.  He'll play his last year in GB he will be traded after the season is over.  If we take the Packers at their word they will hold firm and try to win it all with Rodgers one last time.  It will be his swan song.  

I'll get back to he is newly engaged to a Hollywood actress.  His woman won't want to live in GB.  He wants to be close to his soon to be new wife.   Thus he wants to be traded to SF (he tried to force it on draft day) which is now off the table.  Or Denver where his fiancé is from.  Some chatter about Vegas being a possibility as well.  Connect the fricken dots.  It's not that hard.  Oh I'm sure he has has disagreements with personnel.  Nothing new.  He hasn't come out with exactly why he is upset.  Well what do you expect him to say.  

You guys never want to look at the personal side of things.  Yes football is important to Aaron but so is his new fiance.  He wants to continue to play football but he also wants to be close to her get married and who knows maybe raise a family.  The dude is in love.  Love conquers all.  My feeling is it will be a compromise.  One more season in GB and he's out of here.  That is if Shailine agrees to it.  

Haven't seen any indication he has asked for a trade.  I believe his negotiation tactics are designed to stay with the Packers.  The problems arise with the contract.  You cant afford Rodgers at 37 and then 40 mill, with literally all their receivers unsigned for 2022 except the rookie Amari Rodgers, and then you have Alexander and whoever else to sign.  

If Rodgers doesn't come down on that contract, its going to be tough.  They might throw him less money for the guarantees of staying for a few years.  Not sure he bites, but without that they get nowhere in retaining him if thats what the Packers want.

Adding to it is the Packers would have to decide on the 5th year option on Love going into 2023 for the 2024 season.  

Clearly, its a mess.

It's a mess in the media, the media loves messes!

It's only a mess for the team if they allow it to become a mess.  The attitude they have to have is that this is the Green Bay Packers.  It wasn't the GB Favre's then and it's not the GB Arods now.  Suit up on terms we both can live with or retire.  The team will be just fine either way.  THAT'S the attitude the team should have and keep.  Of course, a trade on the teams terms bringing a real haul I believe should be considered at some point as well.

2 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Haven't seen any indication he has asked for a trade.  I believe his negotiation tactics are designed to stay with the Packers.  The problems arise with the contract.  You cant afford Rodgers at 37 and then 40 mill, with literally all their receivers unsigned for 2022 except the rookie Amari Rodgers, and then you have Alexander and whoever else to sign.  

If Rodgers doesn't come down on that contract, its going to be tough.  They might throw him less money for the guarantees of staying for a few years.  Not sure he bites, but without that they get nowhere in retaining him if thats what the Packers want.

Adding to it is the Packers would have to decide on the 5th year option on Love going into 2023 for the 2024 season.  

Clearly, its a mess.

I always figured it was less about money and more about the guarantees and him having the option to leave GB on his own than being forced out. 

The Packers management have come out and said that they are trying to make things work. So far, it does not look like Rodgers has accepted whatever has been offered. Neither side is willing to bend at this time. I am really hoping that the Packers are doing more (looking at trade options) than just banking on the fact that Rodgers will finally bend/break and NOT holdout/sit for the season. Given Rodgers personality, I would be very surprised to see him settle for less than the guarantees he is looking for. Which would probably mean bad news for the Packers long term.

I am not really concerned about the right/wrong party anymore. I am just hoping the Packers don't get screwed with Rodgers sitting/retiring this year. Because even if we could trade him next year, it will be at a reduced value and also having lost our chance at another SB run with Rodgers as our QB.

• Like 1

I would never trade him at a reduced value.  We're better off with him retiring, and that should be made clear to him.   

He plays on terms the team can live with (that means no long term guaranteed deal) or he retires and pays the team 8 digits.  With the team option of trading him but only on the teams terms, which means our choice of team and return.  That return can only be giant.  Otherwise, play or stay retired and never play the game again.

3 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

So he is walking on the field for game one, what reaction do you all expect from the fans in the stand?

I forget which year it was.  1991 or 1992?  Maybe later?  Sterling Sharpe demanded a new contract with the Packers on the eve of their first regular season game.  I know Holmgren was the coach.  Even back then there was a lot of media coverage over this.  And Sharpe was not a media favorite.

I was at the game with my dad.

Sharpe came out on the field to a chorus of booooos.  He smiled a big smile, did the Hulk Hogan thing with his hand to his hear and the boos got louder.  Then he went to the jugs machine and put on what I can only call the most impressive display of hands that I've ever seen.  Did the Hogan thing again, boos turned to cheers and he pumped up the fans by waiving his arms around.

It was a really cool moment.  Not saying Rodgers would do anything like that.  But the fans at he stadium will probably boo him at first, then it would turn to cheers.

Talk about being painted into a corner here. The only way for Rodgers to really stick it to the FO is to either tank and justify being traded or to go out and put up another MVP season and make the FO look dumb for trading you.

I wonder if Gute reads Machiavelli

Edited by pgwingman

51 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Likely outcome but not guaranteed. The man still, allegedly doesn't speak with his family over some unknown beef. We're talking about a guy who is incredibly stubborn. Those people do not always use logic when making decisions. 

Also, I can't imagine it not affecting his play. 

Don't think his family dynamics matter at all.  There's likely hundreds of NFL players who are disconnected from their families for one reason or another.  It's news for Aaron Rodgers because his attention seeking younger brother went out of his way to make it news on national TV and social media.  Last I'd heard he was on speaking terms with his family, he just wasn't all that close to them.  We don't really know how or why it all started so it's hard to hand out fault.  

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Some of you guys are flying off the rails.  It’s ridiculous. 

He’s under contract for 3 years, and GB isn’t going to trade him ( he hasn’t even requested a trade !) this has been overblown beyond belief.  They’re likely going to make nice or pretend to , and we’ll get on with the season. 

And if he does want out, he’s not going to get traded this year, so what’s he gonna do? Not show and forfeit millions of dollars??

Relax people. 

I agree.  

I think there is going to be some sort of contract adjustment committing to him for the future followed by a Russel Wilson-esk statement about how he loves Green Bay and how he never wanted anything but to retire a Packer.  

And if Green Bay doesn't win the Super Bowl again this year it will go back to being all Aaron Rodgers' fault.  I mean the guy carried the offense with 350 yards and 3 TDs in the NFCC game against the leagues best defense and you've still got haters talking about how terrible he played in the game.  If 350 yards and 3 TDs isn't good enough behind a terrible line with a horrid run game, nothing will be.  

26 minutes ago, SSG said:

I agree.  

I think there is going to be some sort of contract adjustment committing to him for the future followed by a Russel Wilson-esk statement about how he loves Green Bay and how he never wanted anything but to retire a Packer.  

And if Green Bay doesn't win the Super Bowl again this year it will go back to being all Aaron Rodgers' fault.  I mean the guy carried the offense with 350 yards and 3 TDs in the NFCC game against the leagues best defense and you've still got haters talking about how terrible he played in the game.  If 350 yards and 3 TDs isn't good enough behind a terrible line with a horrid run game, nothing will be.  

He didn't play terrible, BUT.....when we need him most in the BIG games???  He's close to getting the 'Choker' moniker.  1-4 in NFCCGs and the one he won was vs da Bears and Caleb Haney.  Against TB he had first and goal and choked it off.  He is incredibly talented, but he doesn't pull it off in the big game.....just saying.........

Edited by Dubz41

48 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

So.

Woodley vs. Patrick vs. Munn.  Who yah got?  Hottest to least hot.  

Me?  Munn.  Patrick.  Distant third, Woodley.

Best for the team at the time?  Patrick, Munn, Woodley.

Id go Danica Patrick, Munn never did anything for me, and Woodley is a reported switch hitter (dont insert your own fantasy here, lol), so long term you gotta wonder when/if she flips. 

Patrick is a easy choice for me.         

1 hour ago, SSG said:

I agree.  

I would be comfortable ‘guaranteeing’ Rodgers next year if that makes him happy. Two years after this .. idk

Anybody else think this is finally going to be the year the defense is legit good, not just pretend good?  The type of good where we actually escape the red zone without giving up points?  The type where we FORCE takeaways instead of them being practical punts/shot plays?  The type where it will be a legit grind for offenses to move down the field?

Only for Rodgers to get traded and we end up a 10-7 divisional round loss?

Z. Smith talking about Gary being dominant this year, Preston Smith fighting for another contract (or to not get cut), Jaire, Savage breaking out, Devondre Campbell (which flew under the radar @packfanfb), Barnes and Martin fighting for that ILB spot, Stokes, Jackson with a new DC, Adrian, Z being Z…