Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

LaFleur needs to be the hero here. Rodgers likes him and the two of them have won a lot over the last 2 years. Hopefully Murphy/Gute are allowing him to play a part in the decision making here and he can be the bridge.

8 hours ago, cannondale said:

Let me play devils advocate.

Why not give him the extension and save money in the first year or two or whatever ?? 

And we don't know what his money demands would be. 

Well, obviously his money demands were not acceptable to the Packers or the deal would have been done. His deal currently takes him to 40+ right? How many more years did he want?

That we don’t know but I’m not so sure I’d keep adding years that far down the road to a QB who’s going to turn 38.

It still comes across as greed. We gave him a huge player friendly deal then ask him to move some money around to add more pieces and he says no, more years more money. That’s what I read and read into it. 

Edited by MantyWrestler

25 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Why do people believe the Packers haven’t offered him an extension?

There was another report that said the extension was offered after Rodgers got pissed. The Packers initially wanted a restructure only.

I'm just ignoring the noise. Till the Packers hit training camp it frankly doesn't matter what's going on. Call his bluff and live with the consequences. Trade him in season or let him sit, see what you have in love, trade him next season to hopefully get a new qb if needed. 

He isn't going to sit out one of his last years in the NFL. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cannondale said:

There was another report that said the extension was offered after Rodgers got pissed. The Packers initially wanted a restructure only.

Yeah. So my question has been, if that’s true, is there no fixing it now? Is he just dug in in that Rodgers Family Shunning way?

27 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Well, obviously his money demands were not acceptable to the Packers or the deal would have been done. His deal currently takes him to 40+ right? How many more years did he want?

That we don’t know but I’m not so sure I’d keep adding years that far down the road to a QB who’s going to turn 38.

It still comes across as greed. We gave him a huge player friendly deal then ask him to move some money around to add more pieces and he says no, more years more money. That’s what I read and read into it. 

We aren't even sure if he made any demands. The one report said the Packers wanted a restructure - Rodgers got pissed because he wanted an extension - and then the Packers made an extension offer but Rodgers was already in EF-U mode ??

You want to push the greed and money angle - of course more years means more money. It's all about the structure. Rodgers cap hits are $37, $39 and $28. I think the Packers want to keep the dead cap low so they can move on at any time. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cannondale said:

From my perspective it seems like GB has listened and negotiated. Not sure AR has done the same.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cannondale said:

But the extension was then offered by the team.  If that's what he really wanted this offseason, certainty of where he was going to be the next several years, the Packers were apparently prepared to cave.  That's a HUGE win for him, or at least that's what I've been hearing him talk about since the beginning of the offseason.  "A beautiful mystery".  In a heated negotiation, its wise to keep the big picture in mind at all times.  It might be rough getting to the end result, but when the other party is offering to cave in on their dug in position, it's time to reset your emotions and provide an appreciative gesture to the other party.  It works, trust me.  It still may take some time to get to the deal you want but at least you know you're making progress.   The good news is that so far, Rodgers has refrained from commenting on this situation publicly so there is still a potential bridge there for a deal. 

21 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Yeah. So my question has been, if that’s true, is there no fixing it now? Is he just dug in in that Rodgers Family Shunning way?

Get over the family thing. They have some blame in that situation

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

But the extension was then offered by the team.  If that's what he really wanted this offseason, certainty of where he was going to be the next several years, the Packers were apparently prepared to cave.  That's a HUGE win for him, or at least that's what I've been hearing him talk about since the beginning of the offseason.  "A beautiful mystery".  In a heated negotiation, its wise to keep the big picture in mind at all times.  It might be rough getting to the end result, but when the other party is offering to cave in on their dug in position, it's time to reset your emotions and provide an appreciative gesture to the other party.  It works, trust me.  It still may take some time to get to the deal you want but at least you know you're making progress.   The good news is that so far, Rodgers has refrained from commenting on this situation publicly so there is still a potential bridge there for a deal. 

Yes - according to the report an extension was offered. But be real. If Rodgers had to be pissed off before it was offered, well, how would you feel ? How well would you receive it ?? And the smoking gun for me is the repeated trips by the brass. If they're squeaky clean, why the need to go out there multiple times ?? I'm gonna remove myself from this soon because I'm probably coming off as a Rodgers apologist, but IMO there is a scenario here where the Packers have some blame. And to be clear, I'm only using two criteria until the other noise is clarified. There was contract discussion where Rodgers got pissed off, and multiple trips were made back out there. The only other piece of info I find interesting is Gute saying he's been in touch with veteran QB's for camp. Since when is that a thing ??

Edited by cannondale

Does Rodgers realize that if he got Gute fired, that his new GM would probably be Russ Ball? You know the guy that he and Mac had a temper tantrum about in 2017 and Murphy obliged and went with Gute?

Or does he want Murphy and Ball fired too? 

The fact he hasn't spoken yet is just such poor leadership. 

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Does Rodgers realize that if he got Gute fired, that his new GM would probably be Russ Ball? You know the guy that he and Mac had a temper tantrum about in 2017 and Murphy obliged and went with Gute?

Or does he want Murphy and Ball fired too? 

The fact he hasn't spoken yet is just such poor leadership. 

Maybe I'm being naive, but I'm just not buying the idea that Rodgers wants Gute fired. It doesn't make sense, it would only tarnish his legacy.

The only person he wants fired is Love. He want's him replaced with someone like Teddy Bridgewater, who'll never be a threat.