Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

5 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Imo that is the only legit gripe. His contract is team friendly on the back end because it paid him huge up front. Roster moves aren't something he's going to get a say on most of the time. 

It's seriously like he learned all the wrong lessons from the Favre fiasco.

There's likely more we don't know,  but you don't fix the mistrust between the 2 sides.  The Packers need to stick to their move-on plans.  If Rodgers doesn't want to be part of it, they need to move him along. 

9 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Imo that is the only legit gripe. His contract is team friendly on the back end because it paid him huge up front. Roster moves aren't something he's going to get a say on most of the time. 

He's looking to get out of GB or to squash Love's career till he's gone.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

He's looking to get out of GB or to squash Love's career till he's gone.

Ok? It's not in the Packers best interest until after the season so either someone needs to offer a haul or he can pound sand.

6 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Ok? It's not in the Packers best interest until after the season so either someone needs to offer a haul or he can pound sand.

I'm with you. I want a high 1st round pick in a trade and the only way that's happening is if he is traded after this year. He can sit his butt at home if he wants. Unless some team offers a decent haul of FRP and good players on rookie deals I ain't trading him for just future FRPs that will most likely be extremely low draft picks. 

6 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Each day Aaron Rodgers in the roster his trade value decreases.  We're probably looking at one of the 3 or 4 worst teams in football next year if 12 isn't on the roster.   

What does Green Bay gain by carrying him on the roster for the year?  Is less than 2 million in cap space worth burning your locker room to the ground because that's exactly what will happen if their answer is holding Aaron Rodgers hostage.

If they know without a doubt that Aaron Rodgers is done with Green Bay then trading him this year is the only option.  They either take it in the teeth this year with the big cap hit or move him after June 1 to spread it out over 2 years.  Reality is this is likely a complete rebuild without 12 so they might as well take it on the teeth and enjoy the top 3 or 4 draft pick.  

32 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Packers are going to  have to lay out their best offer and put a deadline on it.  Sign it by June 1, or proceed to making him available via trade.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

13 minutes ago, SSG said:

Each day Aaron Rodgers in the roster his trade value decreases.  We're probably looking at one of the 3 or 4 worst teams in football next year if 12 isn't on the roster.   

What does Green Bay gain by carrying him on the roster for the year?  Is less than 2 million in cap space worth burning your locker room to the ground because that's exactly what will happen if their answer is holding Aaron Rodgers hostage.

If they know without a doubt that Aaron Rodgers is done with Green Bay then trading him this year is the only option.  They either take it in the teeth this year with the big cap hit or move him after June 1 to spread it out over 2 years.  Reality is this is likely a complete rebuild without 12 so they might as well take it on the teeth and enjoy the top 3 or 4 draft pick.  

I don't believe either premise. The offers after the season will be comparable to the offers now, and this is a very good roster. There isn't the need for a rebuild.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Packers are going to lay out their best offer and put a deadline on it.  Sign it by June 1, or proceed to making him available via trade.

I wouldn't offer him an extension, even before this.

I don't see how the team gets out of the difficulties with next years cap and gives Aaron Rodgers what he wants.  They are 21 million over a projected cap of $200M with only 33 player commitments, and that is without Davante Adams.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

I would trade Rodgers post June 1 for a bunch of 1st and 2nd round picks, go forward with Love and whatever else we can sign as QB, suck big time this year and start the rebuild next year.  If Love doesn't show progress over the course of the year, hopefully they would have the picks then to package them up and go get a viable option.

Next year is a crap year with or without Rodgers. Our schedule is brutal. This is the the time to make moves. Get the picks, get him off our books and start the new post Rodgers era, whatever that looks like.

I hope this drags out for another four weeks. I'm enjoying this thread.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I don't believe either premise. The offers after the season will be comparable to the offers now, and this is a very good roster. There isn't the need for a rebuild.

This roster is ok when you've got a franchise QB.  Not sure it's all that great if you are getting mediocre or less play from the QB. There aren't many QBs in the league that could get this offense to #1 in the NFL with the weapons they've got.  

I  also think you are massively underestimating the damage that would be done to the locker room by holding the team's best player and team leader hostage.  Those aren't fans in the locker room.  Each and everyone of them will be siding with Aaron Rodgers in this tiff.  The last time we watched a star player sit out that team imploded.  

Fair or not that could lead to a situation where Gute and MLF are woking for their jobs.  

7 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Next year is a crap year with or without Rodgers. Our schedule is brutal. This is the the time to make moves. Get the picks, get him off our books and start the new post Rodgers era, whatever that looks like.

I hope this drags out for another four weeks. I'm enjoying this thread.

I've always been of the mindset that talking about schedule difficulty this early is, well too early. Hell I won't even pay attention to who we have to play after week 1 into after week 1. Too much can change for you to prep your team this way just based on a schedule. In my humble opinion

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, SSG said:

I can see either it the other way, actually.

-Rodgers sitting out galvanizes the team and fanbase around ownership and Love.

-It could also force Rodgers to rethink how he wants his legacy to be remembered.

-He'd also think long and hard if he wants to waste one of the last years of his career in a contract dispute.

-Lastly, he could spend his time thinking about how this is probably the last best chance he'll get in his career to win a Super Bowl

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

The contract/security isn't a legitimate gripe? It's the crux of the entire dispute! 

Without a decent chunk of new guaranteed money, Rodgers has zero job security. The team wants him to be a lame duck until they're ready to move on in '22. He's refusing to play along. Why should he?

The team gambled that Rodgers was a player in decline. They lost. That self-scouting failure is why they're in this situation. They need to own it, either by coughing up an extension or trading him.