Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

1 minute ago, Les Punting said:

The contract/security isn't a legitimate gripe? It's the crux of the entire dispute! 

Without a decent chunk of new guaranteed money, Rodgers has zero job security. The team wants him to be a lame duck until they're ready to move on in '22. He's refusing to play along. Why should he?

The team gambled that Rodgers was a player in decline. They lost. That self-scouting failure is why they're in this situation. They need to own it, either by coughing up an extension or trading him.  

The security is the front loader money he already got in exchange for there being little guaranteed money on the back end. It was a clear feature of the contract when he signed it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spilltray said:

The security is the front loader money he already got in exchange for there being little guaranteed money on the back end. It was a clear feature of the contract when he signed it.

Security is guaranteed future money. 

6 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

-Lastly, he could spend his time thinking about how this is probably the last best chance he'll get in his career to win a Super Bowl

I don't think he sees it that way.  If he stays, it is a cap challenged team next year that will lose talent.  This year, he hasn't gained on a bucs team that beat him twice last year.

Just now, Les Punting said:

Security is guaranteed future money. 

Nobody is arguing that. But he chose to sign a contract where the 'guaranteed future money' was given to him in a front-loaded contract. You cannot pretend that it did not happen.

5 minutes ago, spilltray said:

This is the danger of paying any employee a lot of money up front in the hopes that they'll work for a discount on the back end. 

Just now, Les Punting said:

MVP QB with multiple years left in the tank doesn't deserve an extension?

Are you sure last year wasn't an outlier? There was serious discussion about his decline before last season.

25 minutes ago, SSG said:

This roster is ok when you've got a franchise QB.  Not sure it's all that great if you are getting mediocre or less play from the QB. There aren't many QBs in the league that could get this offense to #1 in the NFL with the weapons they've got.  

I  also think you are massively underestimating the damage that would be done to the locker room by holding the team's best player and team leader hostage.  Those aren't fans in the locker room.  Each and everyone of them will be siding with Aaron Rodgers in this tiff.  The last time we watched a star player sit out that team imploded.  

Fair or not that could lead to a situation where Gute and MLF are woking for their jobs.  

The aaron rodgers effect (negative) on GBs roster is hilariously bad.

That offensive line, Davante, and Aaron jones carried Rodgers to this MVP on the back of MLFs play calling.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I can see either it the other way, actually.

-Rodgers sitting out galvanizes the team and fanbase around ownership and Love.

-It could also force Rodgers to rethink how he wants his legacy to be remembered.

-He'd also think long and hard if he wants to waste one of the last years of his career in a contract dispute.

-Lastly, he could spend his time thinking about how this is probably the last best chance he'll get in his career to win a Super Bowl

If Rodgers commits to sitting out, I'm sure he's thought long and hard about his legacy.  Just like Favre didn't care, I'm not sure he would either.  Any other franchise will love him just as much as Green Bay fans used to if he's winning football games.  Given what drives him to be great, I doubt he'd ever have a second thought.  It's just another chip on his shoulder, another team disrespecting him. 

He's watched both Tom Brady and Payton Manning win a Super Bowl after leaving their original franchises.  

9 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

The contract/security isn't a legitimate gripe? It's the crux of the entire dispute! 

Without a decent chunk of new guaranteed money, Rodgers has zero job security. The team wants him to be a lame duck until they're ready to move on in '22. He's refusing to play along. Why should he?

The team gambled that Rodgers was a player in decline. They lost. That self-scouting failure is why they're in this situation. They need to own it, either by coughing up an extension or trading him.  

Rodgers has little job security in GB, is he that concerned about job security across the NFL?   

So the QB needs both big salary and job security when other players at the other positions get less money and no more job security in their contracts?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

I am not sure that is true.

There is a lot that doesn't work for him in Green Bay right now in terms of cap issues and its effect on getting talented team mates, location which affects his daily life, and personality clashes with various people.

Contract/security is the only socially acceptable issue for him to talk about.

3 minutes ago, SSG said:

If Rodgers commits to sitting out, I'm sure he's thought long and hard about his legacy.  Just like Favre didn't care, I'm not sure he would either.  Any other franchise will love him just as much as Green Bay fans used to if he's winning football games.  Given what drives him to be great, I doubt he'd ever have a second thought.  It's just another chip on his shoulder, another team disrespecting him. 

He's watched both Tom Brady and Payton Manning win a Super Bowl after leaving their original franchises.  

If this is the case, they won't mind coughing up serious draft capital for the privilege of him playing for them, and GB should hold onto Rodgers to drive up the price and keep him from playing against them.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

The aaron rodgers effect (negative) on GBs roster is hilariously bad.

That offensive line, Davante, and Aaron jones carried Rodgers to this MVP on the back of MLFs play calling.

Oh I  know. The roster is loaded with high end elite talent that would start anywhere in the league.  We had the #1 offense in the NFL despite the terrible QB not because of him.  All the stuff we heard over the last 3 years about our terrible QB holding the offense back was completely true!  Everyone was responsible for the last couple years of success but 12.

Wouldn't doubt if this was an undefeated Super Bowl squad with Love instead of Rodgers! 👍