Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

You take care of your QB, any QB, starting with the O-Line.  Check.  Running back talent. Check.  WR’s are dime a dozen, and we have one of the best in the NFL right now and always had talent at that position.  Rodgers has failed in post season games and he has succeeded.  He’s just a player, a real good player at a very important position.   He also wants to be GM, and he’s wetting himself publicly to prove it.  Let him sit, shut him out, and if the right deal comes around then just maybe we’ll move him.  The team needs to keep complete control here.

Edited by 15412
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chili said:

Personally I think LaFleur made a mistake with the FG call. Mathmatically he was probably correct to do what he did but ultimately it boils down to this:

Do you want the ball in Rodgers hands or in Brady's? It's as simple as that. I knew once we put the ball in Brady's hands we would never get the ball back. LaFleur should've gone all in with Rodgers, that's what you're supposed to do when you have a QB having one of the best seasons of his career. Just go all in with him at that very moment and no-one will blame you if it didn't work out.

I disagree with that only because AR sucked on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down. I think MLF made the call to give AR a breath and he really believed his D could step up they had all half. If AR had made some better decisions there maybe he gives him that 4th down but he was not good on 1st through 3rd. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

I disagree with that only because AR sucked on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down. I think MLF made the call to give AR a breath and he really believed his D could step up they had all half. If AR had made some better decisions there maybe he gives him that 4th down but he was not good on 1st through 3rd. 

and refs handed game to TB after defense stopped them. So MLF gambled correctly.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Would it be allowed for Rodgers to negotiate a deal with the league and HBO to have GB scheduled for Hard Knocks this season contingent on him showing up for camp?  I would watch.

I've always wanted to watch Packers hard knocks. This would be the perfect season for it.

19 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

and refs handed game to TB after defense stopped them. So MLF gambled correctly.

I still can't believe that they not only called a weak *** PI after the game they let Tampa play, but on top of that it wasn't close to catchable! Holy buckets, I don't want to invite that argument back in again, but I'm still in my feelings about it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chili said:

Personally I think LaFleur made a mistake with the FG call. Mathmatically he was probably correct to do what he did but ultimately it boils down to this:

Do you want the ball in Rodgers hands or in Brady's? It's as simple as that. I knew once we put the ball in Brady's hands we would never get the ball back. LaFleur should've gone all in with Rodgers, that's what you're supposed to do when you have a QB having one of the best seasons of his career. Just go all in with him at that very moment and no-one will blame you if it didn't work out.

Right after the game I also had questions why they did not give the ball to Rodgers one more time on 4th down.  Then I watched the "All 22" tape of 1st and 2nd down.  On both those downs, Rodgers has his guy open in the first window (albeit not wide open), but he HESITATES slightly pulling the trigger each time and then has to throw it to the same player in the second window when the window is smaller and the chances for completion are much lower.  If he throws the ball on time and the ball is thrown accurately, we have a touchdown on both first or second down.  Another ex NFL quarterback also reviewed those two plays in slow-motion and blamed Rodgers for hesitating instead of just trusting it and pulling the trigger.  He said he had the receiver open both times and just got uptight in the big moment.  Hey..it happens to all of us...but that was a bad time for that to happen when you are one of the top 2 or 3 QB's in the league and you're playing at home in the NFCCG.  You want to compare Gute to Krause, fine....but you're no Jordan.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

So what if he failed earlier, he's more than capable to making it count when it matters most. Rodgers talent is so great he is capable of making something out of nothing. Trust in that.

41 minutes ago, Hawkfan191 said:

maybe I'm mis-remembering. But wasn't there a story that Rodgers and MM went to Murphy and went to bat for Gutey to be GM when Russ Ball was the "supposed" favorite?

"But as the search began, McCarthy went on the offensive. In his own news conference, he proclaimed that the fit with the new GM was a two-way street. He also met with Murphy and presumably expressed concerns that Ball would share Thompson’s disdain for free agency and not provide him with the roster he needed around Rodgers to win a Super Bowl. Two sources confirmed to me that McCarthy indeed had those concerns.

Along with that and reports of Aaron Rodgers not wanting Ball as the new GM, Dougherty believes that led to Murphy hiring Gutekunst instead of Ball. However, Ball did receive a promotion and he's now the team's executive vice president/director of football operations. Also, McCarthy, Gutekunst and Ball will all report to Murphy instead of reporting to each other.

From Pete Dougherty https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Green-Bay-Packers-coach-Mike-McCarthy-reportedly-prevented-Russ-Ball-from-winning-general-manager-position--113832519/

So less a confirmation that McCarthy & Rodgers stumped for Gute, but more that they did not want Russ Ball. 

3 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

Right after the game I also had questions why they did not give the ball to Rodgers one more time on 4th down.  Then I watched the "All 22" tape of 1st and 2nd down.  On both those downs, Rodgers has his guy open in the first window (albeit not wide open), but he HESITATES slightly pulling the trigger each time and then has to throw it to the same player in the second window when the window is smaller and the chances for completion are much lower.  If he throws the ball on time and the ball is thrown accurately, we have a touchdown on both first or second down.  Another ex NFL quarterback also reviewed those two plays in slow-motion and blamed Rodgers for hesitating instead of just trusting it and pulling the trigger.  He said he had the receiver open both times and just got uptight in the big moment.  Hey..it happens to all of us...but that was a bad time for that to happen when you are one of the top 2 or 3 QB's in the league and you're playing at home in the NFCCG.  You want to compare Gute to Krause, fine....but you're no Jordan.

This is a perfect illustration of what I think is Rodgers' biggest weakness - one that prevented him from all-time greatness: perfect is the enemy of good.

A good decision now is better than a perfect decision later.

In this case (and many others, I'm certain), the "perfect" opportunity didn't arise, so it was never capitalized upon. In the playoffs, perfect situations are much fewer and further between as well, so this weakness manifests more in these circumstances. With playoff football, you HAVE to take more risks on "good" opportunities, because "better" opportunities probably won't come along later. The opposition is too good to allow it.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

So what if he failed earlier, he's more than capable to making it count when it matters most. Rodgers talent is so great he is capable of making something out of nothing. Trust in that.

Kinda like when the greatest coach in NFL history when for it on what his onw 15 yard line a number of years back. A coach gets paid to work within the ebb and flow of the game and make sound choices. Lets be clear, AR is a great player but at the same time in those big games he's not been great and been poor. If he was so great all the time we don't lose to the Giants at home in 11, we don't score 3 points in the first half against TB either. MLF made a choice none of us will ever know if AR would have choked on 4th but there was allot of that game before that which could have implied he would. MLF played the odds and our D messed up. I think AR would have missed the 4th heck on 3rd he could have run it in. 

32 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It was dam tough but I liked the call for MLF. To me he bet on the defense. Bad call but Tommy did what that ***** does whenever he needs it. All the what if's dam. 

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This is a perfect illustration of what I think is Rodgers' biggest weakness - one that prevented him from all-time greatness: perfect is the enemy of good.

In this case (and many others, I'm certain), the "perfect" opportunity didn't arise, so it was never capitalized upon. In the playoffs, perfect situations are much fewer and further between as well, so this weakness manifests more in these circumstances. With playoff football, you HAVE to take more risks on "good" opportunities, because "better" opportunities probably won't come along later. The opposition is too good to allow it.

Dam well said, you just painted AR with that brush. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

And the media immediately threw shade on LeFleur.  But the QB coaches that study film knew, Rodgers with all that arm talent and one of the best QB's to ever play, came up short in that big moment.  But he left LeFleur out to dry.  He could have acknowledged that if he had executed better on 1st or 2nd down, there would be no need for that 4th down call.  Throw you're coach under the bus.

Edited by minnypackerfan
  • Like 1