Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

We paid Rodgers in 2018, he then went of to have a QBR of 58.0 (16th in the League) and a passer rating of 97.6 (13th in League), in 2019 he had a QBR of 52.5 (20th in the League) and a passer rating of 95.4 (12th in the League). 

I really hate the idea of paying players who are motivated for a pay day coming off a single years good performance. It screams as a recipe for disaster. I would only redo Rodgers contract if he has another MVP level season. If he can sustain his great play. Doing anything this season I just see as bad managment and we'll regret it. This is more chance of drop in performance rather than a continuation of high performance. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

We paid Rodgers in 2018, he then went of to have a QBR of 58.0 (16th in the League) and a passer rating of 97.6 (13th in League), in 2019 he had a QBR of 52.5 (20th in the League) and a passer rating of 95.4 (12th in the League). 

I really hate the idea of paying players who are motivated for a pay day coming off a single years good performance. It screams as a recipe for disaster. I would only redo Rodgers contract if he has another MVP level season. If he can sustain his great play. Doing anything this season I just see as bad managment and we'll regret it. This is more chance of drop in performance rather than a continuation of high performance. 

The worst thing you can give Rodgers is power and make him the king again.  Once he owns you he becomes complacent.  He really could have played better in 2019 but he was not really totally buying into LeFleur's offense and went off script repeatedly.  Rodgers over and over again changed the play last year out of a running play to a pass play with little success.  His passes were off target and he was really off on long throws that used to be his bread and butter.  His mechanics were getting worse by the year.  But hey...no heir apparent was around and he had a nice new fat contract where he was paid $70 million up front.  Sweet deal.  He had managed to get rid of McCarthy the year before and worked with McCarthy to make sure Ball did not become the GM the year before that.  He even aided McCarthy in getting Gute (err...Jerry Krause) to be named as GM (watch out what you wish for).

His world was shocked when the Packers drafted Love.  How could his minions the Packers do that to him.  Rodgers future was now not entirely in his control.  Damn those Packers...damn that management team.  The kingdom he controlled was suddenly not so much totally his as he had an heir apparent on the scene.  This needed to be dealt with and he needed to prove he was still the greatest, but now he would prove it by his play.  Only then did he review tape and look at his play and work on fixing his flaws.  He got together with LeFleur to painstakingly go over the playbook and discuss what would work and what would not.  Until that happened his stance was always "what can you do for me as I'm Aaron Rodgers and haven't you all seen my tape and read my press clippings".  The outcome was a greatly improved Rodgers both in terms of mechanics and in terms of execution of the plays.  This is the Rodgers we paid for in 2018, but it took an act of defiance on behalf of management drafting an heir apparent to get him motivated to play like it.

Now that he feels he is on top of the mountain again, (but with no championship...only stats...as that is the mountain he has ascended as Brady is the king on that other mountain).  But hey...look away from that other mountain...and look at mine and come on bended knee to the alter of Rodgers.  His court jesters and executioners consists of the media.  To make him king again and offer him a contract that pays him the most in the NFL and gives him more power is foolish as he will conduct himself like he did in 2018 and 2019.

I've gone back and forth on what do with Rodgers for the past week.  While it would be great to just tell him "play or retire", I'm convinced I don't want him on this team anymore.  He is a highly talented quarterback (the best thrower ever...not the best leader) but a cancer to a team.  Some people got to always be miserable about something in their life at all times and Rodgers is one of those guys.  Plus, the team invested a 1st round pick in Love and if he is anywhere as good as the scouting reports coming out of college, you have to stand by him if you're management and give him a chance.  Trading him would provide the team with valuable players and draft picks in which to rebuild the team.  Maybe even a better team than the one Rodgers was on.

I'm ready to move on.  It sucks because I wished for a much better ending for both the team and him.  But I do not see a way to really repair this as he has really poisoned the well.

• Like 7
6 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Do you think playing an entire season ('18) with a broken bone in his leg might've negatively impacted his performance?  If you're not sure, this might help:

“For a right-handed quarterback, the left leg is the landing leg which receives all of their weight in the final stages of the throwing motion,” Dr. Schuett explained. “Pain in that knee like Rodgers had would likely make a quarterback attempt to avoid the full weight transfer onto that leg altering his throwing motion. This likely was the cause of a number of his overthrows and balls that seemed to sail as he cut off his throwing motion halfway through or slowed it down. Attempting to compensate for this by aiming lower very likely caused a number of the balls Rodgers threw at the feet of wide-open receivers.”

Do you think playing in a new offense ('19) after 11 seasons in a different offense might've negatively impacted his and his teammates performance? 

If not, why? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, minnypackerfan said:

Some people got to always be miserable about something in their life at all times and Rodgers is one of those guys. 

I really think this is true, and it's unfortunate. The behind the scenes Jeopardy thing where he milked that guy's response about kicking the field goal was just so miserable to watch. The Ty Dunne piece that just came out with the quotes about how he never let McCarthy hear the end of it about SF drafting Alex Smith, too. For the record, I might not believe 100% of the stuff in that piece, but I definitely believe that anecdote. I understand using these things as motivation. I also understand being miffed by them. But his inability to let things go is borderline psychotic. It's maybe the reason why he's motivated to be as good as he is, but it's also destructive in other ways. You can live with it when things are good, I guess.

My own stance is that if the Packers are ready to move on, I'm ready to move on. If they think it's a better idea to sign him to something long term, then I'm fine with that too. He does give the team a significantly better chance to win, at least in the next 2 years. I certainly understand both sides, but I'm so far beyond caring about his personal feelings, I can't tell you strongly enough. 

Edited by Isherwood
On 5/7/2021 at 8:53 AM, spilltray said:

This is very nitpicky with the benefit of mor hindsight. The point is they were all good players at the picks and valuable assets. 

In particular I think you undersell Dillon and Jenkins here. In 2020, Jones had 201 carries, 47 catches (248 total) and Williams 119 carries, 31 catches (150 total). Second RB when Jones status was unknown is a valuable pick. Jenkins is an elite G with potential to play any OL position in a pinch. That is rare and valuable, well worth the pick over a flashier player.

The post I replied to was nitpicky and had hindsight bias as well, so it was fair to criticize it in such a way.

I 100% disagree with you on Jones/Dillon. You can get running backs that are year 1 contributors. Using a second on a RB is bad process, especially if that guy is going to be RB 3. We essentially just wasted a year of a rookie contract on a low value position with high replacement capability. Now it looks even worse with Jones resigning.

Jenkins I like, but the fact is:

A- we could have gotten more valuable player AJ Brown who a lot of us wanted

B- We've had a long history of developing good guards here in the middle rounds. 

23 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

AJ Brown is more valuable?  By what measure?  I think an All Pro caliber guard that can play all 5 positions is more valuable that AJ Brown.  I don’t mean that as a slight to AJ. Brown either- I just think you are underrating Jenkins.

25 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Holmgren was an over rated coach and a disaster in the front office

Can somebody please ask Mike Sherman how he would have handled the Rodgers situation?  I must have his input...

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

The post I replied to was nitpicky and had hindsight bias as well, so it was fair to criticize it in such a way.

I 100% disagree with you on Jones/Dillon. You can get running backs that are year 1 contributors. Using a second on a RB is bad process, especially if that guy is going to be RB 3. We essentially just wasted a year of a rookie contract on a low value position with high replacement capability. Now it looks even worse with Jones resigning.

Jenkins I like, but the fact is:

B- We've had a long history of developing good guards here in the middle rounds. 

RB3 year 1 RB2 now and if Jones hadn't been willing to sign a pretty team friendly deal, he'd be RB1 right now. Given the situation at the time, it's still fine value.

And I agree you are underselling Jenkins here. He's a true stud G, can play all 5 spots and OL is more important than WR. I'll keep saying it, Time is the best weapon you can give a QB.

20 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Can somebody please ask Mike Sherman how he would have handled the Rodgers situation?  I must have his input...

Then petition Ray Rhodes for his thoughts.

After that, I could ask this fox I often see outside my place.........if only I could find out where Dr. Doolittle lives - HE can talk to the animals.

It is being reported that Aaron Rodgers has been seen in the Green Bay area today, might get some news on that today. 

In other news, it is being reported that Gutes car has mysteriously been keyed and all 4 tires slashed. More news when it comes available on this also.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, R T said:

It is being reported that Aaron Rodgers has been seen in the Green Bay area today, might get some news on that today. 

In other news, it is being reported that Gutes car has mysteriously been keyed and all 4 tires slashed. More news when it comes available on this also.

Wake me up when it's over.

4 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

I'm ready to move on.  It sucks because I wished for a much better ending for both the team and him.  But I do not see a way to really repair this as he has really poisoned the well.

I've been back and forth a bit on this, but I think we'd be best to move on.  Hopefully Murphy, and Gute have the guts to make the tough call.  I doubt they do .. both could be fired if Love bombs or if Rodgers leads some other team to a title.  If they could land a sweet haul and make the picks count it could wind up being a great situation down the road, but there would be pain in the present.  So much depends on Love.  Risky stuff, but they need to turn the page and move forward with a new era in Packers football.