Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

3 hours ago, MD4L said:

Is PFF a good site? Yes

Does PFF offer insight that may be difficult to find elsewhere? Yes

Is PFF a worthwhile reference point? Yes

Should we consider PFF the end all be all for analysis? Hell no.

It’s a nice reference tool, and a good place to educate yourself about football. For player evaluation grades, they should be used as a grain of salt rather then the primary basis when stating a point. 

You need to interpret the data correctly. According to PFF, Jenkins is a good pass blocker and a middle of the road run blocker. Out of all the OGs who have played at least 500 pass blocking snaps (basically starters who haven't gotten injured), Jenkins is the 6th best guard out of 39 players. Who are the players ahead of him? Bitonio, Scherff, Nelson, Norwell and DeCastro. That's it. It's not bad company. PFF grades are not always right, but if you analyze them properly you get some interesting data.

Patrick is a better run blocker, but a much poorer pass protector. We all know whats more valuable.

Edited by VonKarman

In true pass sets (snaps where the defense knows for sure that the attacking team is passing), Jenkins is the 3rd best guard of the league behind only Bitonio and Norwell and ahead of guys like Nelson. Not too shabby.

Edited by VonKarman

Just because something isn’t perfect doesn’t mean it can’t be helpful. No need for binary-thinking. Paul Alexander was a well-respected oline coach for 20+ yr and after he reviewed 600 oline snaps PFF had “downgraded”, he said he only disagreed with 12. At least 30 of 32 teams are paying PFF-customers. 

plenty of coaches have criticized it before changing their opinions after giving it a more thorough review. Turns out they have an inclination to jealously guard grading “authority” for other reasons. They like to keep grades private and within the locker room. And players will hate just about any public grading system even if it grades them well, since it might not grade their buddy well. 

like anything else, take it with a grain of salt. 

Edited by TransientTexan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Slow down buddy, I have NEVER put stock into PFF’s player grades.  Show me where I use PFF grades to defend an argument I’m making.  You can’t.  Because they are trash.

How can you grade players or plays when you aren’t a coach?  You don’t know all the intricate details of what the players responsibility is play to play.  You don’t know the technique that’s been coached.  Seriously, player grades via PFF or any non team source need to be severely discounted.  

Nobody claimed you've used PFF scores in the past. I asked which of the highly graded GB players, per PFF, didn't deserve lofty grades in your opinion. Who are they?

If PFF is trash, then there really shouldn't be much of correlation between their grades and yours. If you think all of those GB players had great years, then your grading approach is correlated with PFF. How can their measures, and not yours, be trash when they're reaching the same conclusion?

With respect to OL, it's usually obvious who they're trying to block. Their initial move post-snap often gives it away. Any mistakes a PFF grader makes in that regard is going to be made similarly for other players. Over a 1000+ snaps the impact of those mistakes on overall grades is going to be minimized. Their relative grades (rankings) at the end of a season should be somewhat reliable.  

56 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I’m really curious what you think Jenkins needs to improve on.

Run blocking. Penalties. Jenkins has 16 in 30 career regular season starts. That's not great. The guy next to him (Linsley) had 2 over the same span. Patrick, playing comparable snaps in '20, had 2. Jenkins, 6.  

38 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

Run blocking. Penalties. Jenkins has 16 in 30 career regular season starts. That's not great. The guy next to him (Linsley) had 2 over the same span. Patrick, playing comparable snaps in '20, had 2. Jenkins, 6.  

Ok so we identified 16 plays over 30 career starts he could’ve done better at. But what specifically about run blocking needs improvement?

54 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Ok so we identified 16 plays over 30 career starts he could’ve done better at. But what specifically about run blocking needs improvement?

Going into his 3rd year (I think), Jenkins is a fine guard .. he's just getting started in his career.  Give the guy a frickin break Les.

3 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Going into his 3rd year (I think), Jenkins is a fine guard .. he's just getting started in his career.  Give the guy a frickin break Les.

I'm not bashing Jenkins, he's obviously a talented player. I think most would agree that he's a much better pass protector than run blocker. That and penalties are why he doesn't put up elite grades.  I did start a thread about him being better suited to RT and for the record, I think he'd be one of the leagues best there.  

5 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

I'm not bashing Jenkins, he's obviously a talented player. I think most would agree that he's a much better pass protector than run blocker. That and penalties are why he doesn't put up elite grades.  I did start a thread about him being better suited to RT and for the record, I think he'd be one of the leagues best there.  

What is he bad at when it comes to run blocking?