Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I'll say this again and will gladly remove the egg from my face if I'm wrong. The likelihood of a trade this season is maybe 2-3%. It's not happening and would be colossally stupid by the Packers to entertain post-draft. A trade literally makes no sense for either party. Now, a 2022 trade makes A LOT of sense for both parties. Rodgers is playing for GB this season or he's playing for no one.  

I don't see Rodgers sitting out a season at his age, so I suppose he grudgingly would return to GB and mope around.  I doubt it would be a good situation at all.  I think the value of a deal goes down if he sits out a year.  He'll be another year old and have one less year on his deal.

How would others rank the likelihood of the options for Rodgers this season? I say the following: 

1. Rodgers plays full season with some type of extended deal - 50%
  2. Rodgers plays full season on existing contract and then is traded in Feb 2022 - 45%
  3. Rodgers is traded this off-season - 3%
  4. Rodgers sits out part or all of this season - 2%
  5. Rodgers retires - 0%

Others may disagree, but the first 2 are the only logical options - for both Rodgers and the Packers

1. Rodgers wants a new deal. He doesn't "want out of Green Bay," in fact, we wants to stay in Green Bay long term. The question here is whether the Packers feel the same way. Given reports that GB is already buckling and offering some type of longer term extension, I'd say at worst, it's 50/50 Rodgers comes out of this with the long-term deal he wants or at least one he can live with. 
  2. The next most likely alternative is that the Packers don't commit long-term and essentially call Rodgers' bluff. And that's what this is, a bluff by Rodgers. He's 37, going on 38. You really think he's going to sit out a season? C'mon, lol. Rodgers is going to play, and if a contract doesn't get worked out, he'll play at his current cap figure and (unlike the current situation), will DEMAND a trade next off-season, prior to FA and the draft. This is the only logical time for such a trade to happen for both sides. 
  3. While a trade isn't impossible this off-season, it's extremely unlikely. For one, the Packers aren't interested in trading 12. Second, Rodgers hasn't asked for a trade (a huge point not talked about enough). Third, it makes zero sense for either party to do a trade at this present time. For Green Bay, why in the hell would you trade Rodgers to a team like Denver after the draft and miss out on their top-10 draft pick only to trade Rodgers there, which now means you're getting maybe a mid-20s draft pick, at best, for the next few years. Gute should be fired if he makes that deal. The window to trade 12 in 2021 is gone from Green Bay's perspective. Likewise, why would Rodgers want to be traded now to a lesser team? I can see the appeal of going to a team in February before FA and the draft so the team can build around you, but that window too is long gone. If Rodgers goes to Denver today, they aren't as good as the 2021 Packers with Rodgers. He knows this. Probably why he actually hasn't asked for a trade...
  4. 2% that Rodgers sits out. Again, I simply don't buy that Rodgers would follow through on this. It's a bluff. Rodgers cares about his legacy and sitting out while under contract would be one of the worst moves he could possibly make. 
  5. Rodgers isn't retiring, that's laughable. 
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, SSG said:

The ones that have made him out to be the anti-Christ.  The ones that have accused of him of intentionally leaking his issues with the organization on draft day in the effort to take the big day away from the draftees.  The guys that are convinced that he told Murphy to "Fire Gute". The guys who have spent every waking minute over the last 3 years wishing we'd have traded him prior to his last contract.  You know the ones..... their tears and whimpering over the last 11 days can't be missed.  The guys who have openly called Adam Schefter a Liar because they need, more than anything in life, for Aaron Rodgers to be the bad guy who's trying to dismantle a dynasty 🤪

See below.....

K.  I do have an agenda here.  I wanted to see the names associated with the "fans".

You didn't give any.

And the only reason I bring this up is.....is....."journalism".  

I was so pissed about this on draft day that I literally kicked a stone retaining wall.  Don't think I busted a toe or foot, but it still stings like hell.

And I?  I?  I blame Schefter.

We've gone through all the speculation now.  And Rodgers has remained silent.  I honestly don't know what to feel, or how to feel.

I'm excited to see him come back with a **** eating grin on his face to sign his deal and say the media made this up.

I'm also excited about the possibility of trading him and re-loading with Love.

What I'm not excited about is this in-between phase.  And maybe that is where most everybody is right now.  And the internet is just a sounding board for frustration.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

Interesting.....

I've heard the first player call out AR for the current state of affairs......"He's gotta know he's not bigger than the team" - then Bucky Brooks followed up by pointing out how AR's play led to the drafting of Love. His play had declined the three years preceding ... so the Packers did what they had to do: look to the future. Most talking heads *start* the discussion with his recent MVP season. The recent past.....the context....is never mentioned.

I read that on here a while ago.  Someone else said that most everyone would forget how Rodgers had declined for at least two seasons prior to drafting Love.  And that would be forgotten because of his MVP season recently.  Man, who was that.

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd wait until camp, but if he doesn't show, the colossally stupid thing would be to let an asset that valuable rot in CA. 

If Rodgers sits out, you MIGHT get a first round pick in 2022, but you now are dealing with a 38 year old, who will turn 39 in season, who will be 18 months removed from playing ball.

You call his bluff through OTAs, and the first week of camp, but by Family Night, if he's not in house, you cut your losses.

If Rodgers actually did this, I and everyone else should turn on the guy. In fact, I would say "**** the draft picks" and hope Gute makes it a personal mission to hold onto Rodgers for the duration of his contract and let him sit at home for the next 3 seasons. His legacy in Green Bay and around the NFL would be ruined.  

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

How would others rank the likelihood of the options for Rodgers this season? I say the following: 

1. Rodgers plays full season with some type of extended deal - 50%
  2. Rodgers plays full season on existing contract and then is traded in Feb 2022 - 45%
  3. Rodgers is traded this off-season - 3%
  4. Rodgers sits out part or all of this season - 2%
  5. Rodgers retires - 0%

Others may disagree, but the first 2 are the only logical options - for both Rodgers and the Packers

1. Rodgers wants a new deal. He doesn't "want out of Green Bay," in fact, we wants to stay in Green Bay long term. The question here is whether the Packers feel the same way. Given reports that GB is already buckling and offering some type of longer term extension, I'd say at worst, it's 50/50 Rodgers comes out of this with the long-term deal he wants or at least one he can live with. 
  2. The next most likely alternative is that the Packers don't commit long-term and essentially call Rodgers' bluff. And that's what this is, a bluff by Rodgers. He's 37, going on 38. You really think he's going to sit out a season? C'mon, lol. Rodgers is going to play, and if a contract doesn't get worked out, he'll play at his current cap figure and (unlike the current situation), will DEMAND a trade next off-season, prior to FA and the draft. This is the only logical time for such a trade to happen for both sides. 
  3. While a trade isn't impossible this off-season, it's extremely unlikely. For one, the Packers aren't interested in trading 12. Second, Rodgers hasn't asked for a trade (a huge point not talked about enough). Third, it makes zero sense for either party to do a trade at this present time. For Green Bay, why in the hell would you trade Rodgers to a team like Denver after the draft and miss out on their top-10 draft pick only to trade Rodgers there, which now means you're getting maybe a mid-20s draft pick, at best, for the next few years. Gute should be fired if he makes that deal. The window to trade 12 in 2021 is gone from Green Bay's perspective. Likewise, why would Rodgers want to be traded now to a lesser team? I can see the appeal of going to a team in February before FA and the draft so the team can build around you, but that window too is long gone. If Rodgers goes to Denver today, they aren't as good as the 2021 Packers with Rodgers. He knows this. Probably why he actually hasn't asked for a trade...
  4. 2% that Rodgers sits out. Again, I simply don't buy that Rodgers would follow through on this. It's a bluff. Rodgers cares about his legacy and sitting out while under contract would be one of the worst moves he could possibly make. 
  5. Rodgers isn't retiring, that's laughable. 
  1. Rodgers plays full season with some type of extended deal - 60%
  2. Rodgers plays full season on existing contract and then is traded in Feb 2022 - 0%
  3. Rodgers is traded this off-season - 35%
  4. Rodgers sits out part or all of this season - 5%
  5. Rodgers retires - 0%
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

and nobody is surprised lol

Who is this "nobody"?  Where is he from?  Is it Rodgers' screen name?

(Just doing a Who's on first sort of thing, you know, to buy time and make this thread go away.)

But it won't go away.  Even my lame attempts at humor can't bring this train back up and onto the rails.

Players loyal to only their own money and good old boys union always stick up for each other in contract talks.  Retired or not.  Adams can beat it too.  We've heard from many of them on the various talking head shows, and they all bow down to the player and their shared union.  None of them make a whole lot of sense though.  

Best case scenario for the team is for old Rodg to come back, with a new contract if that's what it takes.  But it ONLY makes sense to the team if we can move him not too far down the road.  It has to be as cap friendly as possible without burying us in a 40 year old QB long term.   Otherwise, let some other team shoot themselves in both feet and both knees and take a bunch of their treasure at the same time.

Anything you hear is conjecture or worse.  Something is going to happen, a new contract or a trade.  If it's a new contract we won't be able to move him for a few years at best.  

Don't flinch Gute, this isn't the Green Bay Rodg's.  The guy has been mediocre or worse post season and his skills aren't getting better with age.  

I think the ideal thing is one final all-in season with 12 at the helm and then a trade in the offseason.  If it is not repairable then lets open up the bidding for a mega deal and bit the bullet with a combination of bridge QB and Jordan Love.  The Broncos and Raiders will fall all over themselves to acquire Rodgers.  The more parts and pieces you can build around Love the next few years will give him a good fighting chance and maybe help open up another nice super bowl window in the next few years.

30 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:
  1. Rodgers plays full season with some type of extended deal - 60%
  2. Rodgers plays full season on existing contract and then is traded in Feb 2022 - 0%
  3. Rodgers is traded this off-season - 35%
  5. Rodgers retires - 0%

1. Rodgers plays full season with some type of extended deal - 70%
  2. Rodgers plays full season on existing contract and then is traded in Feb 2022 - 1%
  3. Rodgers is traded this off-season - 23%
  5. Rodgers retires - 1%

I do think there is a very small chance Rodgers retires- if things get VERY ugly and he refuses to report, and Gute and MM hold the line and do not trade him, he just might be headstrong enough to just quit.  

I think there is virtually no chance that Rodgers or Green Bay just let this fester into training camp- either a deal will be struck or he will be dealt.

6 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

1. Rodgers plays full season with some type of extended deal - 70%
  2. Rodgers plays full season on existing contract and then is traded in Feb 2022 - 1%
  3. Rodgers is traded this off-season - 23%
  5. Rodgers retires - 1%

I do think there is a very small chance Rodgers retires- if things get VERY ugly and he refuses to report, and Gute and MM hold the line and do not trade him, he just might be headstrong enough to just quit.  

I think there is virtually no chance that Rodgers or Green Bay just let this fester into training camp- either a deal will be struck or he will be dealt.

I don't think Rodgers sits. He is more likely to retire than do that given how his personality is. And trying to get him to play if he truly does not want to be back is pointless because I doubt forcing him to play when he really does not want to be here gets close to the best out of him.

Edited by fistfullofbeer

24 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the ideal thing is one final all-in season with 12 at the helm and then a trade in the offseason.  If it is not repairable then lets open up the bidding for a mega deal and bit the bullet with a combination of bridge QB and Jordan Love.  The Broncos and Raiders will fall all over themselves to acquire Rodgers.  The more parts and pieces you can build around Love the next few years will give him a good fighting chance and maybe help open up another nice super bowl window in the next few years.

I don't think that's an option sadly. The reason Aaron isn't here is because he wants guarantees that probably last 3-4 years. While Gute probably wants 1-2 and an out to Love. If Rodgers plays again here it's because we sign him long term, with guarantees.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't think that's an option sadly. The reason Aaron isn't here is because he wants guarantees that probably last 3-4 years. While Gute probably wants 1-2 and an out to Love. If Rodgers plays again here it's because we sign him long term, with guarantees.

Agreed.  I think Aaron has basically said- commit to me for the next 3-5 years or trade me to someone who will.

Honestly, I think he’s earned the right for some clarity, one way or the other.

• Like 1