Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

12 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

I don't think this season is his concern regarding the bolded. But this is what I think he would be concerned with:

- A good pre-season camp by Love.

- Rodgers getting injured and Love doing good (or passable) with Rodgers out.

Those two are things that he cannot control. Rodgers is being paid a lot and anything less than great from him on the field will make it 'easier' to move on from him to Love starting 2022-23. He is just trying to have more of a say in his future by wanting more guaranteed years. 

You are assumming that is what he wants.  All we have is speculation.  Based on the reporting going on he doesn't want to play for the Packers period.  It's ok to take the glass half full appoach.  For me after Draft Day that all changed.  He tried to force a trade and threw the entire Packer organization under the bus.  Pretty damn low.  I watched it all go down in real time.  No coincidence. 

He doesn't want to be a Packer then trade him.  Some really ugly things came out.  Can't just walk them back.  Gave him a few days to address all this.  Nothing but silence.  Piss on Rodgers let some other team deal with the Diva.  Some reports in the past questioning his leadership.  Well guess they were spot on.  

4 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Kuhn, unprompted, brings up what others have suggested about Rodgers wanting security and more years guaranteed, so I wonder if it's same to assume that's what this standoff is all about.

Well that's a positive take.  If that is the case why in the hell doesn't Rodgers come out and say it?  Doesn't jive with the other reports we have been hearing.  Communication?  He wants to play GM?  Wants guarantees?  He's under contract for 3 more years I really don't get it.  Is he afraid of Love?  Why would he turn down a restucture?  Doesn't in essence help assure he is in GB by making his cap hit prohibitive?  Rodgers doesn't have anything to ***** about IMO.  Communication is a two way street.  Telling me he can't go into Gutes office and talk to him? 

The dude tried to force a trade.  That's all I know.  Never forgive him for that.  Regardless of what he does going forward.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scoremore said:

The dude tried to force a trade.  That's all I know.  Never forgive him for that.  Regardless of what he does going forward.  

He really doesn't want to be traded though, hence why there's been no trade request. This whole thing is pretty simple when you look past all the media bs. This isnt about Gute being fired or Kumerow or telling players he's not coming back, etc. All of that crap is either 100% untrue or extremely exaggerated. This is about a contract. 

Rodgers just had an MVP year and knows this is the best time for him to secure what he wants, which is a longer commitment from the Packers. He knows his current deal makes him a trade candidate in 2022 because of how it's currently structured so now is the time to change that in his mind. The best way to create leverage is to shower the media with narratives like him holding out, retiring for Jeopardy and all this other nonsense. He wants to create that scenario because it helps his camp negotiate. 

Report is the Packers have offered around a 2-year extension, which depending how it's structured would still allow the team to have their cake and eat it by kicking the can down the road on Rodgers but still keeping Love in the future plans. Rodgers undoubtedly wants a longer extension, structured in a way that basically would make him untradeable for several more seasons, thus effectively removing Love from the equation. 

In the end, it's all about the contract. Rodgers is just bringing the discussion to the Packers now rather than the team bringing it to him after this season, which everyone knows was coming. 

So, coming full circle, this isn't Rodgers saying "I want to be traded." But if he doesn't get the long term extension he wants after his 2020 season, a trade may be the only other way forward in the eyes of both sides. 

For Gute, it's an extremely difficult situation to be in (now, he created it so I don't really feel bad for him). Take the bird in hand and make Rodgers happy securing top QB play for another several years at a very high cost, or...be known as the GM who let an MVP QB go prematurely only to put the franchise in the hands of a new prospect who has never played an NFL down before. If it's the latter, Love better "hit" that's for sure. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Kuhn, unprompted, brings up what others have suggested about Rodgers wanting security and more years guaranteed, so I wonder if it's same to assume that's what this standoff is all about.

The Bortles signing already rattled Rodgers. He is weakening his position.

Give him a new four year deal at $140 with $60m gauranteed. Make him cuttable after two years with a moderate cap hit. Take it or leave it Erin

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

He really doesn't want to be traded though, hence why there's been no trade request. This whole thing is pretty simple when you look past all the media bs. This isnt about Gute being fired or Kumerow or telling players he's not coming back, etc. All of that crap is either 100% untrue or extremely exaggerated. This is about a contract. 

Rodgers just had an MVP year and knows this is the best time for him to secure what he wants, which is a longer commitment from the Packers. He knows he current deal makes him a trade candidate in 2022 because of how it's currently structured so now is the time to change that in his mind. The best way to create leverage is to shower the media with narratives like him holding out, retiring for Jeopardy amd all this other nonsense. He wants to create that scenario because it helps his camp negotiate. 

Report is the Packers have offered around a 2-year extension, which depending how it's structured would still allow the team to have their cake and eat it by kicking the can down the road on Rodgers but still keeping Love in the future plans. Rodgers undoubtedly wants a longer extension, structured in a way that basically would make him untradeable for several more seasons, thus effectively removing Love from the equation. 

This entire thing is about a contract. Rodgers is just bringing the discussion to the Packers now rather than the team bringing it to him after this season, which everyone knows was coming. 

So, coming full circle, this isn't Rodgers saying "I want to be traded." But if he doesn't get the long term extension he wants afterhis 2020 season, a trade may be the only other way forward in the eyes of both sides. 

For Gute, it's an extremely difficult situation to be in (now he created it so I don't really feel bad for him). Take the bird in hand and make Rodgers happy securing top QB play for another several years at a very high cost, or...be known as the GM who let an MVP QB go prematurely only to put the franchise in the hands of a new prospect who has never played an NFL down before. If it's the latter, Love better "hit" that's for sure. 

Agreed 100% from the start. 

Rodgers wants to stay on a contract that "effectively means Rodgers is the starter for at least 3 more years". He just had an MVP season, now is his best time to negotiate. If he didn't do this now he'd be handing over power to Gute to trade him after this season (after presumably another Rodgers good season).

Rodgers looking for 4-5 year deal maybe with a NTC for years 1-3, and Gute has likely offered 1-3 years at higher money (but relatively tradable contract) - which is what Rodgers doesn't want. If neither side budges... that's when the possible trade scenario happens. 

Edited by CriminalMind

I had a dream that the packers and Rodgers worked something out to the tune of 4 years 102 mil gtd.  Not sure that makes sense but it was a dream.

Also it involved Andy Reid as head coach of packers, and yeah this isn't gonna work out is it?

I really hope they don't do it. Rodgers has been amazing but commiting to him another 3+ years just isn't a smart bet. The monte haul you'd get in a trade is franchise changing if the FO is good. Another MVP caliber season, and maybe I have second thoughts, particularly if Love gives me reason to doubt, then maybe we have that discussion, but I'd rather trust on Gute's ability to hit on 4/6 #1s in 3 years, and FA with the extra cap space, than trust Rodgers can stay healthy, productive, and elite 3-5 years. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Give him a new four year deal at $140 with $60m gauranteed. Make him cuttable after two years with a moderate cap hit. Take it or leave it Erin

Yep .. that's where I am.  Packers need to offer this up if they haven't already and put a deadline on it .. just prior to start of training camp.  

13 hours ago, fistfullofbeer said:

I don't think this season is his concern regarding the bolded. But this is what I think he would be concerned with:

- A good pre-season camp by Love.

- Rodgers getting injured and Love doing good (or passable) with Rodgers out.

Those two are things that he cannot control. Rodgers is being paid a lot and anything less than great from him on the field will make it 'easier' to move on from him to Love starting 2022-23. He is just trying to have more of a say in his future by wanting more guaranteed years. 

The ideal situation for GB is Rodgers comes back, plays at Godgers level for a good chunk of the early part of the season, and then has a hammy pull or something significant enough to have him sit out but not be down for more than 6 games, at which point Love comes in and looks like, say, 2008 Rodgers - I wouldn't expect HoF play, but enough where GB fans, players, coaches, and execs can go "OK, he's good, we can go all in on him." 

15 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

The ideal situation for GB is Rodgers comes back, plays at Godgers level for a good chunk of the early part of the season, and then has a hammy pull or something significant enough to have him sit out but not be down for more than 6 games, at which point Love comes in and looks like, say, 2008 Rodgers - I wouldn't expect HoF play, but enough where GB fans, players, coaches, and execs can go "OK, he's good, we can go all in on him." 

It took Rodgers 3 years to get to 2008 Rodgers, it might be asking a little too much for Love to be there this quickly. 

8 minutes ago, R T said:

It took Rodgers 3 years to get to 2008 Rodgers, it might be asking a little too much for Love to be there this quickly. 

Two completely different offenses.

I do agree with you, that it will take time.  Only difference is the offense.  Jarred Goff looked great, early, in this offense.  There is hope that Love could exceed expectations.

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

You are giving a take it or leave it to Dunn and Rodgers, but it is Dunn and Rodgers that are giving the take it or leave it to the Packers. It is the Packers commit to Rodgers for longer than Love's rookie contract or there is no deal regardless of the money. Period. It is not about the money!

The Packers might have more options if Dunn didn't represent both Rodgers and Love, but for Dunn to maximize his situation it is best for Rodgers to be in GB and Love to get traded to a QB needy team, giving Love a chance to build a resume for a big contract before his rookie deal is up. Not a deal like Rodgers second deal was.

47 minutes ago, R T said:

Lots of truth there, but that was in McCarthy's scheme.  I think LaFleur's system might be a little more QB friendly, so maybe that will help Love out when the time comes. 

• Like 1