Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

I absolutely believe it is as simple as Rodgers either wants to retire a Packer or get to his new team ASAP. No interest in a lame duck year. 

As far as draft day goes, I think Rodgers/Dunn heard San Fran could have been on the table and jumped at it. Rodgers likely sees exactly 2 storybook endings for his career: Play his entire career for one team, or retire playing for his childhood team that originally spurned him.

My belief is that Rodgers knows GB trading him is in his future, heard SF was in the cards and that would be far and away without any close exception his #1 trade destination, and now that it didn’t happen it will never happen because of Trey Lance, and now he’s beyond upset at the FO. Perhaps irreparably so. Now he believes that GB is planning on trading him to a less preferred destination next year, so why not just do it this year. I think that’s the long and short of it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I absolutely believe it is as simple as Rodgers either wants to retire a Packer or get to his new team ASAP. No interest in a lame duck year. 

As far as draft day goes, I think Rodgers/Dunn heard San Fran could have been on the table and jumped at it. Rodgers likely sees exactly 2 storybook endings for his career: Play his entire career for one team, or retire playing for his childhood team that originally spurned him.

My belief is that Rodgers knows GB trading him is in his future, heard SF was in the cards and that would be far and away without any close exception his #1 trade destination, and now that it didn’t happen it will never happen because of Trey Lance, and now he’s beyond upset at the FO. Perhaps irreparably so. Now he believes that GB is planning on trading him to a less preferred destination next year, so why not just do it this year. I think that’s the long and short of it. 

SF aside, I think that's what he was thinking after this past season ended. Given the Bortles signing, expect a trade after June 1st simply due to the cap hit; if anything, these alleged recent negotiations have been to try and find a way to lower his cap hit once the trade occurs.

...and into the pit of obscurity we go. I'm willing to bet Aaron Jones and Davante Adams start having similar thoughts when we have a mediocre or losing season this year.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

SF aside, I think that's what he was thinking after this past season ended. Given the Bortles signing, expect a trade after June 1st simply due to the cap hit; if anything, these alleged recent negotiations have been to try and find a way to lower his cap hit once the trade occurs.

...and into the pit of obscurity we go. I'm willing to bet Aaron Jones and Davante Adams start having similar thoughts when we have a mediocre or losing season this year.

I feel that. But I have to keep telling myself that players willingly sign with average-to-bad teams all the time. We see it every off-season in free agency. A player like JJ Watt can say he’s interested in ring chasing and then sign with the worst team in a division. Not that GB signs a lot of FAs anyway, but I don’t think it will impede us with signing them. Adams and Jones may be exceptions because they already have relationships with AR12. But I honestly don’t think too many players over the years came from outside the team to play with Rodgers anyway. Money talks. 

21 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

100% agree. It's rational for him to feel that way. I believe our FO recognizes this as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Joe said:

I'm willing to bet Aaron Jones and Davante Adams start having similar thoughts when we have a mediocre or losing season this year.

I might franchise Adams after next year.    Gives Love a great WR to take some of the pressure off for a season while he grows.   Not sure Adams will like it, but its probably in the best interest of the franchise.    

3 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I want Rodgers gone simply for entertainment sake and trying something new. Probably regret it but maybe won't...

Somewhat same. But there's an expiration date on Rodgers and I'd prefer to move on earlier than later to avoid poisoning the franchise.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I agree, and the disappointing part about this line of thinking is that it is misplaced on Rodgers' part. It's not a "lame duck" year to play in GB in 2021 - in fact, quite the opposite, it represents (BY FAR) his best chance to go to the SB. He's basically throwing away a chance at a championship in 2021 by being traded this off-season. There isn't any loaded Bucs-type team waiting to acquire Rodgers right now as the missing piece. Teams like Denver and LV aren't in the ballpark. 

What Rodgers should want at this point (assuming no deal with GB long-term) is to come back, ball out in 2021 and then be traded immediately after the season ends. This would allow any team that acquires him enough time to load up and go for it in 2022 if so desired. 

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

Somewhat same. But there's an expiration date on Rodgers and I'd prefer to move on earlier than later to avoid poisoning the franchise.

It hurts the franchise either way. Think about the locker room. You think guys like Adams, the Smiths, Big dog and other vets want to lose Rodgers and rebuild around Love? Not a chance in hell. Those guys want to win and win now (in addition to making their money). 

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

My belief is that Rodgers knows GB trading him is in his future, heard SF was in the cards and that would be far and away without any close exception his #1 trade destination, and now that it didn’t happen it will never happen because of Trey Lance, and now he’s beyond upset at the FO. 

Cant confirm,  but I think Rodgers/Dunne colluded with the Niners before the draft.

The Niners moved up weeks before the draft by trading a load of picks to move up to #3 a not knowing which QB would be there???   Who does that???  A team thinking they might be able to get Rodgers.

They thought they might be able to entice the Packers with a package involving the #3 pick.   The fallback plan was to take a QB at #3 as they did.

Rodgers/Dunne  leak a story the night before the draft about not coming back to Green Bay. 

Packers reportedly complained to the league about teams tampering.

I think the whole thing was orchestrated by Rodgers.  The Niners were going up to get a QB and Rodgers stepped in to the front of their line to try to get to SF.  SF tried to make it happen and got cut off by Gute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

It hurts the franchise either way. Think about the locker room. You think guys like Adams, the Smiths, Big dog and other vets want to lose Rodgers and rebuild around Love? Not a chance in hell. Those guys want to win and win now (in addition to making their money). 

I agree, they should be upset with Rodgers, too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cheesehead430 said:

For what its worth... Probably nothing.

My dad has a friend on the Packers board of directors who told him the Broncos have offered: Drew Lock, Dalton Risner, Bradley Chubb, 2022 1st and 2nd, 2023 1st, and 2024 1st. He also said Guety will not trade him no matter the offer. 

Interesting that the offer the Packers got from Denver matches up to the poll of NFL Execs that Albert Breer talked to, to see what it would cost. 

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Scoremore said:

You mean when his agent Dunn leaked the story to Schefter to try to force a trade?  We've been over this at length.  Believe whatever you want.  It wasn't a mere coincidence.  It was his last chance to play for SF and he knew it.  Packers be damned.  I saw it all go down in real time.  No doubt in my mind that Dunn with the diva's blessing dropped a sh*t bomb.  His treachery will never be forgotten.  Long time Rodgers fan ever since he was drafted.  He's dead to me now.  

Then why did Schefter say he had no sources for the "breaking news", and it was just an accumulation of information over time?

2 minutes ago, ajdodge09 said:

Then why did Schefter say he had no sources for the "breaking news", and it was just an accumulation of information over time?

The very same reason that on draft day when he broke the news, he stated that league and team sources told ESPN on that day.