Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

4 minutes ago, ajdodge09 said:

Then why did Schefter say he had no sources for the "breaking news", and it was just an accumulation of information over time?

Schefter is protecting his sources.    "Nobody"  told him anything???    It was just an accumulation of info????   Right???, It just appeared on a scrolled note in a bottle floating in the ocean. 

So much of this is being driven by David Dunn. What makes this difficult for the Packers front office is that Dunn reps Rodgers, Love and MLF (and Bakhtiari). What is best for the brands of all his clients is for Rodgers to stay long term in GB and giving MLF the best chance to be a SB winning coach. For Love to move to a QB needy team to build a resume for a huge second contract. The leverage he has is knowing Love is not ready this year and trying to kill the Packers FO in the court of public opinion to get what is best for him and his clients brands. Rodgers bridging the position for one more season would only benefit MLF and that is only for one year. Dunn is highly motivated to get what he wants in this situation.  

EDIT: Wonder if all of MLF's groveling isn't coming after a conversation with Dunn, plants the seed with fans about how much he wants Rodgers back and keeps him out of a bad guy role.     

Edited by R T

17 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Maybe they "should" but we know pretty much across the board players back other players, at least publicly. 

How many of those guys signed contracts in GB after we drafted Love? They understand he NFL contracts work and know GB wanted Rodgers to play in 2021 and 2022. I bet they are quietly pissed at his charades.

3 hours ago, Cheesehead430 said:

For what its worth... Probably nothing.

My dad has a friend on the Packers board of directors who told him the Broncos have offered: Drew Lock, Dalton Risner, Bradley Chubb, 2022 1st and 2nd, 2023 1st, and 2024 1st. He also said Guety will not trade him no matter the offer. 

Everyone knows someone on the BoD, its massive. The members don't know much more of anything than the fans do.

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

How many of those guys signed contracts in GB after we drafted Love? They understand he NFL contracts work and know GB wanted Rodgers to play in 2021 and 2022. I bet they are quietly pissed at his charades.

Again, they very well may be pissed at him, in fact, I'm sure they are pissed at the situation as a whole, but they still want him as the QB because it gives the team the best chance to win now. Lewis will probably play in GB as long as they are paying him $3m/year at age 37, but I guarantee he wants 12 as his QB, not 10. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Again, they very well may be pissed at him, in fact, I'm sure they are pissed at the situation as a whole, but they still want him as the QB because it gives the team the best chance to win now. Lewis will probably play in GB as long as they are paying him $3m/year at age 37, but I guarantee he wants 12 as his QB, not 10. 

I bet he's more motivated to win a ring than play with one particular player. And he isn't getting one in GB as long as Rodgers is QB here.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I bet he's more motivated to win a ring than play with one particular player. And he isn't getting one in GB as long as Rodgers is QB here.

He's getting a lot closer than if Love is the QB, at least this year, and probably next year as well given what we've heard to date regarding Love's development. I think if all goes well, we start competing against the top teams with Love in his 4th year. 

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I agree, and the disappointing part about this line of thinking is that it is misplaced on Rodgers' part. It's not a "lame duck" year to play in GB in 2021 - in fact, quite the opposite, it represents (BY FAR) his best chance to go to the SB. He's basically throwing away a chance at a championship in 2021 by being traded this off-season. There isn't any loaded Bucs-type team waiting to acquire Rodgers right now as the missing piece. Teams like Denver and LV aren't in the ballpark. 

What Rodgers should want at this point (assuming no deal with GB long-term) is to come back, ball out in 2021 and then be traded immediately after the season ends. This would allow any team that acquires him enough time to load up and go for it in 2022 if so desired. 

What's Rodgers gain by coming back on this current deal?  The issues that are keeping him away from Green Bay aren't going away if he's playing on this lame duck deal.  If anything he gets even less security.  If trading him to the highest bidder in 2022 is the end state it doesn't make sense for either party to kick the can down the road.  Rodgers trade value doesn't have anywhere to go but down and it could plummet given his age.  

Can we really look at the 2019 starters and this coming years' starters and say that this is an uber more talented roster?  The biggest difference between 2019 and 2020 was the play from our QB.  The guy stood on his head and played like a god and it still wasn't good enough to get this crop of talent into the Super Bowl.  The likelihood of him having back to back career years at the age of 38 with exactly the same supporting cast isn't all that likely and that is exactly the sort of performance that from the QB that this team will require to get over the NFCC game hump.

Just now, packfanfb said:

He's getting a lot closer than if Love is the QB, at least this year, and probably next year as well given what we've heard to date regarding Love's development. I think if all goes well, we start competing against the top teams with Love in his 4th year. 

Do you think Love will be better or worse than Goff?

Just now, SSG said:

What's Rodgers gain by coming back on this current deal?  The issues that are keeping him away from Green Bay aren't going away if he's playing on this lame duck deal.  If anything he gets even less security.  If trading him to the highest bidder in 2022 is the end state it doesn't make sense for either party to kick the can down the road.  Rodgers trade value doesn't have anywhere to go but down and it could plummet given his age.  

Can we really look at the 2019 starters and this coming years' starters and say that this is an uber more talented roster?  The biggest difference between 2019 and 2020 was the play from our QB.  The guy stood on his head and played like a god and it still wasn't good enough to get this crop of talent into the Super Bowl.  The likelihood of him having back to back career years at the age of 38 with exactly the same supporting cast isn't all that likely and that is exactly the sort of performance that from the QB that this team will require to get over the NFCC game hump.

His gain is not having to sit out a season. He has no leverage here. If I'm the FO, I'm not trading him right now, period. Call his bluff. What he also gains is coming back and playing his last season in GB, playing for a shot at a title, knowing it's his last season. Then he can get his trade next off-season. 

This saga ends in one of two ways: both include Rodgers playing for GB in 2021. 

2 minutes ago, SSG said:

What's Rodgers gain by coming back on this current deal?

Integrity. Honoring a contract. The best situation he could be in to win now. He could gain a lot more with a willingness to restructure as well.

Essentially: he could gain a lot of respect and long-term legacy fulfillment by honoring the contract he signed a couple years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

Cant confirm,  but I think Rodgers/Dunne colluded with the Niners before the draft.

The Niners moved up weeks before the draft by trading a load of picks to move up to #3 a not knowing which QB would be there???   Who does that???  A team thinking they might be able to get Rodgers.

They thought they might be able to entice the Packers with a package involving the #3 pick.   The fallback plan was to take a QB at #3 as they did.

Rodgers/Dunne  leak a story the night before the draft about not coming back to Green Bay. 

Packers reportedly complained to the league about teams tampering.

I think the whole thing was orchestrated by Rodgers.  The Niners were going up to get a QB and Rodgers stepped in to the front of their line to try to get to SF.  SF tried to make it happen and got cut off by Gute.

Doesn't make sense though.  If Aaron Rodgers was the end goal for San Fran then why would they trade the world for the #3 pick?  A trade that essentially removed them from the running for Aaron Rodgers.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SSG said:

What's Rodgers gain by coming back on this current deal?

Besides what @incognito_man said, If he plays one year, his dead-cap figure becomes much more manageable and the Packers much more open to trading him because of that. So the answer to what he gains, is the Packers org finds it easier to move him on and might entertain that, when previously they wouldn't.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Do you think Love will be better or worse than Goff?

Not sure if you're asking as a joke because you think it's obvious, but in reality, I'd say Goff will be better than Love in many ways if both start in 2021. Goff is a veteran who has played in a lot of big games. He's not a terrible QB, he's just limited in what he can do. Conversely, Love has much more upside, but he might throw 15 ints in his first year as a starter. That wouldn't surprise me at all. 

If Love were to start this season, I think the natural progression for him and the team is something like: 5-6 wins in year 1, 8-9 wins in year 2, and hopefully 10+ in year 3, etc. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Not sure if you're asking as a joke because you think it's obvious, but in reality, I'd say Goff will be better than Love in many ways if both start in 2021. Goff is a veteran who has played in a lot of big games. He's not a terrible QB, he's just limited in what he can do. Conversely, Love has much more upside, but he might throw 15 ints in his first year as a starter. That wouldn't surprise me at all. 

If Love were to start this season, I think the natural progression for him and the team is something like: 5-6 wins in year 1, 8-9 wins in year 2, and hopefully 10+ in year 3, etc. 

Not a joke. I'm comparing because Goff made the playoffs in year 2 and super bowl in year 3, so I'm curious why you think Love can't compete until year 4.

• Like 1