Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

4 minutes ago, ifeelasleep said:

except its about prediction not just production, in your high pressure boiler room companies having an out when you approach 30 would be grounds for a lawsuit. getting to the nfl is an acheivement that takes a lifetime, careers are cut short and contracts are not even guaranteed, thats seems little to ask for a league that dwarfs all the others in revenue, ratings, and bombast. I understand theres a higher number of rostered players but the setup seems non sustainable for the players.

You're a little bit of allover the place there. Not agreeing that productive players living up to their contracts are being let go because of age.   

1 minute ago, R T said:

It's a performance based business with performance based contracts. A player doesn't perform to the expected standard he doesn't keep his position on the roster. I imagine those that have never worked in a boiler room environment might have issues with that setup, but not that uncommon with many jobs/careers.   

It is a performance based business for the franchise.  The same standard absolutely isn't afforded to the players who outperform their contracts.  Players get raises only when it's best for the franchise. Teams have no issues running to a player asking for a restructure when their play isn't up to standard and the opposite reaction rarely occurs when the player is out performing.  

Aaron Rodgers is being paid like Jared Goff on his current contract.  Getting Aaron Rodgers pay up to the level of his peers wasn't something Green Bay had any interest in doing until he forced it on them.  

• Like 2

it happens all the time, a player is still productive but his backloaded cap hit was too big and the team drafted his cheap replacement. Sitton and Lang were good examples, im not saying its mean, its just how it works often. 

I generally take the players side on most issues, not so with rodgers, but other sports with less revenue offer more security in every aspect, players are aware of that. That denver tackle that got injured is an interesting case study.

Edited by ifeelasleep

2 minutes ago, ifeelasleep said:

it happens all the time, a player is still productive but his backloaded cap hit was too big and the team drafted his cheap replacement. Sitton and Lang were good examples, im not saying its mean, its just how it works often. 

I generally take the players side on most issues, not so with rodgers, but other sports with less revenue offer more security in every aspect, players are aware of that. 

You haven't answered how NFL contracts favor the franchises.

Are NFL agents worse than other professions?

1 minute ago, SSG said:

It is a performance based business for the franchise.  The same standard absolutely isn't afforded to the players who outperform their contracts.  Players get raises only when it's best for the franchise. Teams have no issues running to a player asking for a restructure when their play isn't up to standard and the opposite reaction rarely occurs when the player is out performing.  

Aaron Rodgers is being paid like Jared Goff on his current contract.  Getting Aaron Rodgers pay up to the level of his peers wasn't something Green Bay had any interest in doing until he forced it on them.  

When Rodgers signed his last contract he became the highest paid player in NFL history, yet until last season he was playing like Jared Goff.  I really don't care if Rodgers wanted more money and I don't think the Packers do either. If it was just about money the Packers would gladly pay him, but this is about getting a contract that makes him untradeable until Love's contract is up. Not everyone understands performance based businesses and by your comments it appears you do not either. When a player outperforms his current contract it allows him to capitalize on the next contract and if he keeps playing at a high standard he gets to keep collecting on that contract. If he doesn't, than he doesn't get to keep collecting on that contract. It's not that hard.      

• Like 3

Question for the Group.  

Do you think the Packers have a fairly good idea right now if Love can play or in time will develop into a capable starter?, or is this still a big mystery as to if he can play?

its not that the agents are worse, the players have less leverage. there were 259 draft picks vs 60 in the nba draft for example, plus all the other udfa, street free agents, practice squad players. All the conditionals and bonus based structures favor the franchises, that kind of contract language doesnt happen in soccer for example, no outs or void years. No big signing bonus and spreading out the cap hit, that kind of contract math is there to maintain flexibility for the team under the cap.

p.s. some good points are being made, i dont want to quote separately but appreciate the discussion.

Edited by ifeelasleep

7 minutes ago, ifeelasleep said:

I generally take the players side on most issues, not so with rodgers, but other sports with less revenue offer more security in every aspect, players are aware of that. That denver tackle that got injured is an interesting case study.

Sitton and Lang are not good examples. Sitton had a year left on his contract and threatened to be a locker room cancer if he did not get a new deal in the last week of training camp. Lang was a worn out player who played out two full contracts, he was a FA when he left.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

The sack incentives kick in at 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14 sacks for the 2021 season. Thus, if Smith achieves the 14-sack mark, he would earn the full incentive amount and actually exceed the $12 million in cash he had been scheduled to receive in 2021."

Based on Smith's average output (~7sacks/yr), he's likely to earn only $500K of that $4.4M bonus. In that case, wouldn't he be taking a pay cut?

5 minutes ago, R T said:

Sitton and Lang are not good examples. Sitton had a year left on his contract and threatened to be a locker room cancer if he did not get a new deal in the last week of training camp. Lang was a worn out player who played out two full contracts, he was a FA when he left.

true about lang, sitton thats just what we assume, nothing conclusive came out, what about kyle fuller, eric fisher, etc. if were talking about the league it happens all the time

5 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Question for the Group.  

Do you think the Packers have a fairly good idea right now if Love can play or in time will develop into a capable starter?, or is this still a big mystery as to if he can play?

Hard to really say, I mean I think they remain hopeful and I do believe that hopefulness comes from him showing flashes of potential. However, I think they also see some negatives and feel he isn't quite ready. What tells me that he isn't ready yet is two things:

1. Aaron Rodgers being vacant and ready to make this move - I feel that he's doing this because he knows Love isn't ready to lead this team yet and therefor it puts all the cards in his hand. If Love was out there dropping dime after dime or lighting practices on fire, Aaron Rodgers wouldn't be making a financial security grab through the media right now. He'd be competing to get that security. 

2. The Packers unwillingness to trade Aaron Rodgers currently along with their statement that they think the world of Jordan Love but he has a "long ways to go still"

At the end of the day, I think we got a ways to go yet to really know what we have in Jordan Love and I don't think that 100% falls on Jordan Love either, I feel Covid played a huge role in the slower development, even prior to him coming out it wasn't all that uncommon to see bad QB play year 1 and then slowly see the progression from year 2 on to 3 & 4. 

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

@SSG's idea of a contract:

Party 1: "I'll give you $100, then you cut my lawn 4 times."

Party 2: "Deal!".

Party 2 takes $100, cuts lawn twice

SSG: "WHY WUD PARTY 2 CUT LAWN AGAIN. WHAT DO THEY HAVE TO GAINZ?!?"

Party 2: takes $100 deal, knowing he can ask out or for more $ as its evident he is top 3 in grass cutting while no one else even has a working lawnmower

3 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Party 2: takes $100 deal, knowing he can ask out or for more $ as its evident he is top 3 in grass cutting while no one else even has a working lawnmower

So...you support party 2 breaching contract in order to price gouge lol

Super dooper integrity, man

• Like 1