Jump to content

Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, SSG said:

I'm not convinced of that but if that's the case, then he needs to be traded ASAP. 

There is no chance I'm making my locker room pick between their QB and management. There's a receipt here for a complete rebuild if that locker room turns toxic.  

And you cave and redo Rodgers contract when he already got a TON of money upfront says that players can dictate that they want and get away with it.  What happens if Bakh demands a new deal?  Or Kenny Clark?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's not the only thing that Rodgers is going to want IMO.

Rumor has it one of the demands is he wants Mike McCarthy Way renamed to Rodgers Road.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 15412 said:

Doing "whatever" it takes to make ol Rodg happy should be off the table.  That would mean paying the 38 year old much more and burying the team for several years with no way out.  A recipe for disaster.  Now enhancing hsi deal a bit without burying us long term sure, and that's what has been offered I would bet.  No way you trade him without receiving value, no fire sale here.  The team needs to make it clear, he plays for us on our terms, the team receives value for him in a trade which is a pile of treasure, or he retires.  Period.

Or he sits out the entire offseason, skips some games and comes back as a cancer in the locker room.  

If management picks Rodgers retiring over trading him for 2 quality starters and 4 early picks every single one of them should be fired immediately.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SSG said:

If management picks Rodgers retiring over trading him for 2 quality starters and 4 early picks every single one of them should be fired immediately.  

I don't think that is going to happen.  IF Gute felt the relationship wasn't fixable, and Denver (or another team) offered them a strong package, they'd take it.  But one of the two hasn't happened yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And you cave and redo Rodgers contract when he already got a TON of money upfront says that players can dictate that they want and get away with it.  What happens if Bakh demands a new deal?  Or Kenny Clark?

You deal with the "what ifs" while you are still competing for a championship. Players demand new contracts and get traded all the time. 

Rodgers did get a lot up front but he's also been playing for pennies on the dollar over the last 2 seasons.  He's made slightly more than his original contract's AAV on a per season basis over the last 3 years.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But if you're committing to Rodgers beyond Love's rookie contract, I think you need to move Love IF you get a decent offer in return.  You're not maximizing the rookie contract, so unless you believe you're going to get Love to sign an under-the-market contract extension similar to Rodgers' first extension it'd make more sense to trade him and recoup assets.

Correct.  I am saying that I value Love at least where we picked him.  If nobody bites, then I have a QB with some potential as my back-up, and he is on a relatively harmless contract that most likely ranks lower among his peers as time elapses.  The other team needs to give me a reason to give up on my project.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think that is going to happen.  IF Gute felt the relationship wasn't fixable, and Denver (or another team) offered them a strong package, they'd take it.  But one of the two hasn't happened yet.

I completely agree.

My money is on Rodgers coming back with a new contract that takes him out to 2024.  Based on the desperation we've seen on MLF's face they're gonna do what ever it takes to get 12 back into the building.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SSG said:

You deal with the "what ifs" while you are still competing for a championship. Players demand new contracts and get traded all the time. 

Rodgers did get a lot up front but he's also been playing for pennies on the dollar over the last 2 seasons.  He's made slightly more than his original contract's AAV on a per season basis over the last 3 years.  

There's a massive difference between restructuring a deal and changing the entirety of the contract itself.  He was by far #1 in cash flow in 2018 (by nearly $25M over Jimmy).  Give me a break about him playing for pennies on the dollar.  IF you're going to be overpaid in a year (or two), don't complain that you're underpaid on the backend of the deal.  He took that deal.  He EASILY could have signed a deal similar to what Kirk Cousins had where it was low in terms of upfront money (specifically via the signing bonus) but high in guarantees.  But he chose more money upfront, which means less guaranteed money.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, SSG said:

Or he sits out the entire offseason, skips some games and comes back as a cancer in the locker room.  

If management picks Rodgers retiring over trading him for 2 quality starters and 4 early picks every single one of them should be fired immediately.  

 

Agreed. In that event no doubt they would trade him.  Your proposal is indeed value.  

Edited by 15412
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SSG said:

You deal with the "what ifs" while you are still competing for a championship. Players demand new contracts and get traded all the time. 

Rodgers did get a lot up front but he's also been playing for pennies on the dollar over the last 2 seasons.  He's made slightly more than his original contract's AAV on a per season basis over the last 3 years.  

 

Pennies on the dollar?  And what has Brady played for?  Rodgers has been paid a mountain of cash, and the Packers reportedly offered him a bit more.  But on their terms, not his and it needs to stay that way.  It would be beyond foolish to bury the team long term in a bloated contract with a 38 year old who has a horrible post season record.  Again, you have to look at half way through the contract, will he still be worth the money?   And the future dead money on an old man would be even a bigger bite.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Pennies on the dollar?  And what has Brady played for?  Rodgers has been paid a mountain of cash, and the Packers reportedly offered him a bit more.  But on their terms, not his and it needs to stay that way.  It would be beyond foolish to bury the team long term in a bloated contract with a 38 year old who has a horrible post season record.  Again, you have to look at half way through the contract, will he still be worth the money?   And the future dead money on an old man would be even a bigger bite.

SSG doesn't understand contracts. He seemingly thinks that the $66million signing bonus doesn't apply to the entire contract and should be forgotten now. He seems to think GB can/should continuously give out that signing bonus EVERY season and pay Rodgers 33% of the cap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

There's a massive difference between restructuring a deal and changing the entirety of the contract itself.  He was by far #1 in cash flow in 2018 (by nearly $25M over Jimmy).  Give me a break about him playing for pennies on the dollar.  IF you're going to be overpaid in a year (or two), don't complain that you're underpaid on the backend of the deal.  He took that deal.  He EASILY could have signed a deal similar to what Kirk Cousins had where it was low in terms of upfront money (specifically via the signing bonus) but high in guarantees.  But he chose more money upfront, which means less guaranteed money.

Rodgers was paid 15 million dollars in 2019 and 21 million last year.  That's Jacoby Brissett money in 2019 and Teddy Bridgewater money last year.  It's a small fraction of the AAV he's scheduled to make on the deal.  He was scheduled to make 33.5 million dollars per year for the life of his contract.  He made 34.6 million dollars per year over the first 3 years.  

You are 100% correct, he did take that deal.  I've got no idea what Rodgers was thinking or wanted when he signed that contract in 2018 so I'm not going to comment on what he should or shouldn't have done.  I'm not aware of one person on this board who worked for the GBP in 2018 so we've got no idea what he could or couldn't have gotten nor does it matter even slightly.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SSG said:

I completely agree.

My money is on Rodgers coming back with a new contract that takes him out to 2024.  Based on the desperation we've seen on MLF's face they're gonna do what ever it takes to get 12 back into the building.  

LaFleur is a coach... he wants to win. Of course he is desperate for 12 to be back. I think his “desperation “ has little to do with the final outcome.

Management/FO has egos just like Rodgers too. I don’t see any contract being signed that makes the love pick a wash.

I said after the pick and given Rodgers contract... the plan was to sit Love at least 2 years... and they wouldn’t mind 3 (the Rodgers method). I don’t think Green Bay cares about getting a QB on a rookie deal. Remember they have had decades of Favre and Rodgers. They have had decades of always paying a premium for QB play.

I think they are more concern with getting the right guy. Not just get a cheap guy.

The question is if Rodgers likes that timeline. That at most he has 2 more years in GB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SSG said:

Rodgers was paid 15 million dollars in 2019 and 21 million last year.  That's Jacoby Brissett money in 2019 and Teddy Bridgewater money last year.  It's a small fraction of the AAV he's scheduled to make on the deal.  He was scheduled to make 33.5 million dollars per year for the life of his contract.  He made 34.6 million dollars per year over the first 3 years.  

You are 100% correct, he did take that deal.  I've got no idea what Rodgers was thinking or wanted when he signed that contract in 2018 so I'm not going to comment on what he should or shouldn't have done.  I'm not aware of one person on this board who worked for the GBP in 2018 so we've got no idea what he could or couldn't have gotten nor does it matter even slightly.  

Because you're intentionally IGNORING the signing bonus he accepted in 2018, which took money off of future years and put it the current year.  He could have opted for a $0 dollar signing bonus instead, putting that $11.5M pro-rated signing bonus on the 5 years and he would have been paid $26.5M in 2019 and $32.5M this past season.  That would have ranked 11th in cash flow in 2019 (instead of 56th) and 7th last year (instead of 35th).  Rodgers chose more money in 2018, which means less money in 2019 and 2020.  If he really cared about the long-term money, he shouldn't have asked for a large signing bonus.  It's really that simple.  The fact that you tried saying that Rodgers is paid similarly to Teddy Bridgewater or Jacoby Brissett is mind-boggling when you ignore any facts outside of what fits your argument.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rodgers is one injury, or one mediocre season away from losing maximum value as a trade candidate.  I’m not advocating for a specific decision here, but if you’re gonna trade the guy, now is the time to do it while his trade value is probably at its peak.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...