Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

4 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Pennies on the dollar?  And what has Brady played for?  Rodgers has been paid a mountain of cash, and the Packers reportedly offered him a bit more.  But on their terms, not his and it needs to stay that way.  It would be beyond foolish to bury the team long term in a bloated contract with a 38 year old who has a horrible post season record.  Again, you have to look at half way through the contract, will he still be worth the money?   And the future dead money on an old man would be even a bigger bite.

Brady might as well be playing for free.  He's basically on a year to year deal that pays him like a WR.  If that's the expectation, be prepared to be forever disappointed.  

I wish he was but Aaron Rodgers isn't Tom Brady nor is any other QB in the NFL.  He doesn't have a spouse who's is worth twice as much as he is.  

Teams are foolish all the time.  It was foolish to pay Aaron Jones the sort of money he got when we spent a second round pick on a RB last year.  It was foolish to give a 30 year old LT 23 million dollars a year.  

26 minutes ago, SSG said:

pennies on the dollar over the last 2 seasons.

This is disingenuous. You can’t just handwave away the 2018 signing bonus. Those signing bonuses are meant to cover the first few years in the contract. Can’t act like he is getting very little when he literally got a ton of his 2019 and 2020 money up-front in 2018. 

Signing Jones was not foolish at all, that was an undervalue signing. An absolute bargain.  I think the Pack were ready to let him go but were happy to work out such a reasonable deal which does not impact them long term.  If anyone is worth the money Bak is, and OT's play at a very high level for a very long time when you're in his class.  Not the undervalue signing Jones was, but value for sure.

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

Teams are foolish all the time.  It was foolish to pay Aaron Jones the sort of money he got when we spent a second round pick on a RB last year.  It was foolish to give a 30 year old LT 23 million dollars a year.  

I feel like you're struggling with context BADLY in this thread.  Let me see if I can try and clarify it for you.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-jones-21924/

You see a 4 year, $48M deal ($12M/year) for a RB who is going to have a contract that is going to be 30 when the contract expires and the Packers just invested a SRP into a RB the previous year.  What I (and others) see is a RB who effectively signed a 2 year, $20M contract.  If the Packers release Aaron Jones after the 2022 season, the Packers save almost $13M.  Aside from maybe prime Adrian Peterson, I don't think you'll see a team pay a RB for a cap hit north of $15M.  Aaron Jones' cap hit that year is north of $19M.  He will either be extended or (more likely) released by then.

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Because it gets the league MVP and unequivocal leader in the locker room back into the building.  I think they've either got to do what it takes to make 12 happy or trade him.  IMO this is a game of absolutes with no grey area.  

This season has 4 wins written all over it if the worst case happens. A cancerous locker room can turn even the most talented team in the league into a raging dumpster fire.  

Cancerous is a dangerous word, no doubt.

Guess I don't feel it is cancerous.  Bakh, Clark and Jones re-signed.  Supposedly while Rodgers was telling them he wouldn't be back.

I'd be in agreement with you concerning 4 wins, but let's be fair.  This isn't a complex offense.  Jarred Goff went to the Super Bowl with an offense like this.

I'll bet we are more around 7-9 wins with Love.  We have a deep o-line that has depth.  We have a great stable of running backs.  Our WR's are great for the scheme and have been in the scheme for a few years.  On paper, we have defensive talent.

Love (or even Bortles) wouldn't have to play like Superman to win games.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Because you're intentionally IGNORING the signing bonus he accepted in 2018, which took money off of future years and put it the current year.  He could have opted for a $0 dollar signing bonus instead, putting that $11.5M pro-rated signing bonus on the 5 years and he would have been paid $26.5M in 2019 and $32.5M this past season.  That would have ranked 11th in cash flow in 2019 (instead of 56th) and 7th last year (instead of 35th).  Rodgers chose more money in 2018, which means less money in 2019 and 2020.  If he really cared about the long-term money, he shouldn't have asked for a large signing bonus.  It's really that simple.  The fact that you tried saying that Rodgers is paid similarly to Teddy Bridgewater or Jacoby Brissett is mind-boggling when you ignore any facts outside of what fits your argument.

Who's ignoring anything? I very clearly stated that Rodgers has been paid 34.6 Million on per year basis over the life of his current contract.  

Why's it mind boggling to give examples of QBs who were paid similar amounts of money in given seasons?  You were trying to pawn 2018 and 2019 off as seasons where Rodgers was paid like a king.

YES, Rodgers was paid 66 million in year 1 but he didn't make **** in the 2 years after.  Green Bay had originally agreed on a deal that would have paid him 33.5 million dollars a year if he'd played it to it's end.  He's made 34.6 million a year 3 years into the contract.  

None of this matters.  If you want to hate Aaron Rodgers because he's not wanting to play out the rest of this lame duck deal more power to you.  I don't care either way.  He's not doing anything I wouldn't be doing under the same circumstances.  I also don't care if he's traded because I'm fully aware that an extension with more money could effect the ability to add free agents given how this team operates.  

I'd like to know when Rodgers was telling players he likely wasn't going to be back.  If it was after the season bad enough, but if it was during the season while we were still in the hunt that is already a cancer.   Maybe no wonder he left 3 TD's on the field in the last game that were sitting there waiting to be made.  He was playing with poor me conflictions that affected the team.

The sooner ya'all realize you're wasting your time the better off we will all be. This is a habitual misunderstanding and at this point it's clear he will never get it.

He's been handed the information dozens of times but refuses to understand it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Cancerous is a dangerous word, no doubt.

Guess I don't feel it is cancerous.  Bakh, Clark and Jones re-signed.  Supposedly while Rodgers was telling them he wouldn't be back.

I'd be in agreement with you concerning 4 wins, but let's be fair.  This isn't a complex offense.  Jarred Goff went to the Super Bowl with an offense like this.

I'll bet we are more around 7-9 wins with Love.  We have a deep o-line that has depth.  We have a great stable of running backs.  Our WR's are great for the scheme and have been in the scheme for a few years.  On paper, we have defensive talent.

Love (or even Bortles) wouldn't have to play like Superman to win games.

I don't buy the idea that Rodgers told any of those guys that he wouldn't be back.  Pretty sure Aaron Jones was asked exactly that and denied it.  

I prefaced the 4 win comment with "worst case".  That's assuming there is a complete melt down in the locker room and players stop caring.  

I don't see this team having the talent to get us 9 wins without a high end starting QB.  This team is a lot worse off with a QB who throws 15-20 INTs and that's the sort of season I'd expect with gun slinger mentalities like Love and Bortles.

Our pass catchers are adequate with 12, not so sure their adequate with a lesser talented QB.  TBD IMO.

I'm ready for this circus to be over either way. Rodgers is in love and wants to be closer to his woman in Denver. Just take the haul and build a stellar defense like Denver had in 15. You don't need MVP QB play with a defense like that. Don't get me wrong Rodgers is a great QB but l'm Salivating over 6 first round picks over the next 3 years. You're going to lose Davante next season if Rodgers leaves so make it 4 first round picks or trade heads up for Jeudy.

1 minute ago, St Vince said:

I'm ready for this circus to be over either way. Rodgers is in love and wants to be closer to his woman in Denver. Just take the haul and build a stellar defense like Denver had in 15. You don't need MVP QB play with a defense like that. Don't get me wrong Rodgers is a great QB but l'm Salivating over 6 first round picks over the next 3 years. You're going to lose Davante next season if Rodgers leaves so make it 4 first round picks or trade heads up for Jeudy.

If you are going to get rid of both just make it a scorched earth rebuild for this season. Move Rodgers for the 'haul' and trade Adams either with Rodgers or in a different deal (preferable).

I think management is having a hard-pill to swallow though from going 13-3 in the last 2 seasons and losing in NFC championship games to no making the playoffs. Though fans are not what management decisions are driven by I am pretty sure there will be a lot of unhappy fans in that scenario as well.

2 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

If you are going to get rid of both just make it a scorched earth rebuild for this season. Move Rodgers for the 'haul' and trade Adams either with Rodgers or in a different deal (preferable).

I think management is having a hard-pill to swallow though from going 13-3 in the last 2 seasons and losing in NFC championship games to no making the playoffs. Though fans are not what management decisions are driven by I am pretty sure there will be a lot of unhappy fans in that scenario as well.

A Rodgersless team with a player or two added in a trade is probably going to get within a couple wins this season as the team would with a checked-out Rodgers anyway.