Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

40 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I feel like you're struggling with context BADLY in this thread.  Let me see if I can try and clarify it for you.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/aaron-jones-21924/

You see a 4 year, $48M deal ($12M/year) for a RB who is going to have a contract that is going to be 30 when the contract expires and the Packers just invested a SRP into a RB the previous year.  What I (and others) see is a RB who effectively signed a 2 year, $20M contract.  If the Packers release Aaron Jones after the 2022 season, the Packers save almost $13M.  Aside from maybe prime Adrian Peterson, I don't think you'll see a team pay a RB for a cap hit north of $15M.  Aaron Jones' cap hit that year is north of $19M.  He will either be extended or (more likely) released by then.

You can feel that all you want.  

I'm fully aware of Aaron Jones's contract, thanks.  I love Jones the player but I'm not sure I'd have given him any sort of extension based on our salary cap situation and the equality we just put into the position. 

Funny how you went from "You don't pay RBs" to suddenly liking an extension because that's what the Packers did.  Wasn't long ago that you said that anything more than Jerrick Mckinnon money was a bad contract.  

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

A Rodgersless team with a player or two added in a trade is probably going to get within a couple wins this season as the team would with a checked-out Rodgers anyway.

With that type of haul you could build a dynasty that would last years. I would prefer an average system QB that won't hurt you with bad decision making.

I'm done with these arrogant Hollywood QB's eating up all the cap space and holding the franchise hostage when they don't get their way. Just give me a Brad Johnson and go win rings.

Even if Loves not the guy if you can't find a franchise QB with that much ammo you don't deserve one imo.

Edited by St Vince

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

A Rodgersless team with a player or two added in a trade is probably going to get within a couple wins this season as the team would with a checked-out Rodgers anyway.

I know. And that is my biggest concern period. His trade value is limited right now because of the small number of teams interested and the high ask we would have.

If he plays poorly, or even at 2018, 2019 levels, his value will diminish even more. Current MVP or not, he will be almost 39 by the time the 2022 season kicks off. Nobody will want to pay a premium for Rodgers if he has an off year at this stage of his career.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The sooner ya'all realize you're wasting your time the better off we will all be. This is a habitual misunderstanding and at this point it's clear he will never get it.

He's been handed the information dozens of times but refuses to understand it.

It has to be intentional.  I refuse to believe that it is not.

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

This is disingenuous. You can’t just handwave away the 2018 signing bonus. Those signing bonuses are meant to cover the first few years in the contract. Can’t act like he is getting very little when he literally got a ton of his 2019 and 2020 money up-front in 2018. 

Who's waving at anything or acting like he is getting very little?  If you want to gloss over the below, more power to you.

He's made slightly more than his original contract's AAV on a per season basis over the last 3 years. 

Your ability to read what was typed instead of what you want to read sucks.  Saying that he's made slightly more than 33.5 million per year on the first 3 years of his deal  pretty clearly isn't ignoring the signing bonus or saying "he got very little".

4 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

I know. And that is my biggest concern period. His trade value is limited right now because of the small number of teams interested and the high ask we would have.

If he plays poorly, or even at 2018, 2019 levels, his value will diminish even more. Current MVP or not, he will be almost 39 by the time the 2022 season kicks off. Nobody will want to pay a premium for Rodgers if he has an off year at this stage of his career.

Amen brother. If Denver wants to pay a kings ransom for a 38 year old QB with two busted collar bones sign me up. His value will never be higher. I'd take that gamble and try to build a potential dynasty.

13 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I'd like to believe it is, but then I remember what like 40% of this population is like with facts there for consumption and the utter refusal to see it.

Think we have a Venn diagram crossover here :)

9 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Right, Intentional.  Because @incognito_mancan't fathom someone having a different opinion than his self proclaimed expert one.  Life must suck if you've gotta ignore anyone and everyone that doesn't share the same opinion on everything.

4 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Amen brother. If Denver wants to pay a kings ransom for a 38 year old QB with two busted collar bones sign me up. His value will never be higher. I'd take that gamble and try to build a potential dynasty.

Agreed. That's why I refuse to believe that Gute turned down that reported offer. Any sane human would have accepted that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, St Vince said:

With that type of haul you could build a dynasty that would last years. I would prefer an average system QB that won't hurt you with bad decision making.

I'm done with these arrogant Hollywood QB's eating up all the cap space and holding the franchise hostage when they don't get their way. Just give me a Brad Johnson and go win rings.

Even if Loves not the guy if you can't find a franchise QB with that much ammo you don't deserve one imo.

How many average system QBs have had sustained success in the NFL?  I feel like you need a generational defense for that to work and we don't have that nor do we have the front office that can build that IMO.

I feel like it's the teams that don't have the difference maker at QB that are the ones that are in a constant rebuild.  

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

Right, Intentional.  Because @incognito_mancan't fathom someone having a different opinion than his self proclaimed expert one.  Life must suck if you've gotta ignore anyone and everyone that doesn't share the same opinion on everything.

I don't ignore anyone.  I don't even know how, nor do I want to.  I disagree with anyone when they do it, because I believe everyone can have an opinion and it may sway my viewpoint.  

It has been thoroughly explained where you are incorrect, but you continue to to repeat the same incorrect view.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SSG said:

How many average system QBs have had sustained success in the NFL?  I feel like you need a generational defense for that to work and we don't have that nor do we have the front office that can build that IMO.

I feel like it's the teams that don't have the difference maker at QB that are the ones that are in a constant rebuild.  

Honest question here. How many years do you expect Rodgers to play at the MVP level he did last season? Or even at an elite level unlike what he did in 2018 and 2019?

8 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't ignore anyone.  I don't even know how, nor do I want to.  I disagree with anyone when they do it, because I believe everyone can have an opinion and it may sway my viewpoint.  

It has been thoroughly explained where you are incorrect, but you continue to to repeat the same incorrect view.

Different opinions have been thoroughly explained.  Not one of these opinions is a fact.    

Just because someone wants to act like guaranteed money and ONLY guaranteed money is what counts in a NFL contract doesn't mean everyone shares that opinion.  

Just because my view is different than yours doesn't mean it's incorrect.  

10 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

Honest question here. How many years do you expect Rodgers to play at the MVP level he did last season? Or even at an elite level unlike what he did in 2018 and 2019?

Im on the fence on this.  The guy is a great player but he's also been here for 16 years, won one Super Bowl and has  won as many NFCCGs as Rex Grossman.      Id like to see him finish here but you just arent going to advance further with that albatross contract.   If I can get a good haul for him, you gotta consider it.  

Its nice having Rodgers but we can fail to make the Super Bowl just as well without him.  

21 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

Hard telling.  Assuming everything ends up ok, I don't think there's any reason to believe Rodgers can't continue to play at a high level.  He might not have a career year every year but I think he's got 3 or 4 more years of championship football in him.

2018 and 2019 might be underliers.  He was suffering from a severe knee injury in 2018 and even with the injury he had games where he looked like he his former MVP self.  In 2019 he was dealing with an entirely new offense.  Even then he again had games where he looked like a league MVP.  While they weren't the monster years that he's had at times, his production wasn't all that much worse than Tom Brady's was in 18 & 19.   

Edited by SSG