Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

You give this team two good, young players and 4 extra draft picks and there is no way that Love falls on his face.  Not in this offense.

This is the best stable of running backs in Green Bay that I can remember, well, second best to what we had last year.

We have a good o-line with a lot of young kids in there competing.

We have talent all across the defense.

And that is without considering the return for trading Rodgers.

If we trade AR for this haul ... and Love's not everything we need him to be ... do you surrender your FF posting rights? :)

2 minutes ago, Refugee said:

All of that could be amazing but it is contingent on Love being a starting caliber and hopefully a strong starting caliber QB. Perhaps the game is changing and it’s getting easier to find decent young QBs to run the offense but the teams that win it all usually have the upper echelon guys and letting one go is a major gamble. I’m not saying it would be the wrong decision but you’d better get a king’s ransom back and hope you are as right as you think you are about your guys. 

I feel like we are so used to Rodgers having to carry this team because of lack of talent on the defensive side, or at other offensive positions.

Granted, Rodgers was amazing last year.  What about the year before?  He was good to great.  Not excellent like this past year.  TD's were down for him, up for Jones.

I find little reason to believe that Love can't play at the 2019 Rodgers level, or very close to that level.  Maybe not in year one starting, but year two and three, for sure.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic about the talent level on this team.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leader said:

If we trade AR for this haul ... and Love's not everything we need him to be ... do you surrender your FF posting rights? :)

:)

I'm pretty confident that Love will be successful in this offense.  But there would need to be something else on that side of the wager when Love and the team succeeds.   Like a spot in @CWood21's mom's basement next to the furnace and on the bottom bunk bed that I share with @Packerraymond.   While @Norm serves me quality tap beer from the fridge that we have turned into a kegerator.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I'm pretty confident that Love will be successful in this offense. 

I've actually not seen Love do squat - but agree. I think MLF is scheming guys open. Evidence? Tonyan. Good NFL player no doubt - but (IMO....) he had All Pro numbers last year because he was wide open alot of the time - not because AR was making unbelievable passes to him.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I feel like we are so used to Rodgers having to carry this team because of lack of talent on the defensive side, or at other offensive positions.

Granted, Rodgers was amazing last year.  What about the year before?  He was good to great.  Not excellent like this past year.  TD's were down for him, up for Jones.

I find little reason to believe that Love can't play at the 2019 Rodgers level, or very close to that level.  Maybe not in year one starting, but year two and three, for sure.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic about the talent level on this team.  

We have talent, it’s just such a QB driven game right now. This offense theoretically doesn’t need an all world QB, just one that is locked in and can make the right decision. When you have a QB who is both, you get something closer to what we saw last season. 

I understand Aaron trying to use his leverage, which will never be stronger than right now, to force his timeline and not the team’s but I hope the team doesn’t cave. Would he really not report to camp if a new deal doesn’t get done?  It seems more likely than I would have believed before but the team’s plan was obviously to pay him well to play this year and evaluate everything including Love next offseason. 

We would be a great team this year if 12 was all in, even with the tough schedule.  His gripes about not respecting vets seem a bit weak when you see there is still a talented roster for him to command even if it’s not full of his best buds. 

Edited by Refugee

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm pretty confident that Love will be successful in this offense.  But there would need to be something else on that side of the wager when Love and the team succeeds.   Like a spot in @CWood21's mom's basement next to the furnace and on the bottom bunk bed that I share with @Packerraymond.   While @Norm serves me quality tap beer from the fridge that we have turned into a kegerator.

Could make a solid reality tv mini series. “Livin’ the Dream”

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Refugee said:

We would be a great team this year if 12 was all in, even with the tough schedule.  His gripes about not respecting vets seem a bit weak when you see there is still a talented roster for him to command even if it’s not full of his best buds. 

LOL I watched about as much of Undisputed as I could ... but finally had to click if off.

Sharpe went into a player love fest by rattling off ARs "grievances" :: AVP, Kumerow, not "communicating enough" ..... Oh - and I forgot one more: Jeff Janis!  ARs pissed because GB let Janis walk????? I'd not heard that one before.  Oh stupid are these people? They're rattling off supposed "grievances" of a bunch of roster hanger ons - or end of career guys - that did squat after leaving GB and (mostly) are out of the league now.

Sounds like smart FO decisions to me.

Then Bayless decided to one up him by saying he thinks AR wants BOTH Gute and MLF gone (afterall it was the HC who kicked the FG.....)

The final straw. Click.

Edited by Leader

Just now, Leader said:

LOL I watched about as much of Undisputed as I could ... but finally had to click if off.

Sharpe went into a player love fest by rattling off ARs "grievances" :: AVP, Kumerow, not "communicating enough" .....

Then Bayless decided to one up him by saying he thinks AR wants BOTH Gute and MLF gone (afterall it was the HC who kicked the FG.....)

The final straw. Click.

Yeah, you shouldn’t do that to yourself.  I’m obviously interested in how this will all play out but I’m trying not to get too caught up in the draft day drama, rumors etc. Now that we’re getting into camp, I’ll wait and see what 12 actually does but those shows are made for clicks stirring up controversy for more attention. None of those guys have any conviction about what they’re saying. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Woah man, bottom bunk is where I store my stuffed animals.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Leader said:

I've actually not seen Love do squat - but agree. I think MLF is scheming guys open. Evidence? Tonyan. Good NFL player no doubt - but (IMO....) he had All Pro numbers last year because he was wide open alot of the time - not because AR was making unbelievable passes to him.

MLF's offense is simple and it is amazing.  It is a QB's dream offense.  Schemes get guys open.  Reads are pretty easy and they are usually layered to make "seeing it" easier than say a Mac offense that was predicated on reading multiple things from multiple people.

To drive the point home about this offense, I've offered up Goff as an example.  He went to a Super Bowl in this offense.  Goff.

I'll add another one.  Tannehill.  Cast aside in Miami.  Found a new offense like this and has flourished.

Yah, I'm pretty convinced that Love can play in this offense.  Especially if we are going to load up other positions on offense and defense with picks and players via a Rodgers trade.

And your point on Tonyan is spot on accurate.  Add Lazard to that list as well.

All kidding aside, here's my take from what Aaron said, and I'm reading between the lines or quotes.

He talks about players and legacies as if that is how an organization is built.

He saw Donald Driver get a retirement package from GB.

He saw Sitton, Lang, Woodson, Matthews, Nelson and Cobb get released.  Maybe he thought some of them deserved Donald Driver treatment.

Then he thinks about himself.  He's no dummy, he knows how his contract works and it could very well be that he does not get the Driver treatment.  

So, he wants a contract that ensures that he will retire when he wants with the Packers.  

Here's the rub.  That isn't how the NFL typically works.  Most every player has been traded, cut or allowed to leave via free agency.  He's no different than any other player in that regard.  Driver got his deal, and I'm guessing he got it because the cap allowed it.  

Driver's last year was 2012.  2.3M cap hit.  27'th highest cap hit for a WR that year.

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Selfish vs Teamish

The front office is "Teamish". Team first. Not Brian gutekunst/Murphy/ball first. Although it likely is the case that their profiles/lives/interests are improved as the team succeeds, too.

It's very different than a single player looking out for themselves. 

Lemme give you some flip side examples of how teamish is not all good:

Johnny Jolly, That 6th round CB from a while ago who got into trouble - when players like this get into trouble the "team decision" is to completely distance themselves and cut them off.  If they manage to rehab, as in the case with Jolly, they might get a 2nd chance.  But in the meantime, these young players are cut off from valuable support networks which could potentially affect these outcomes for the individuals.

Making "teamish" decisions is not in any way morally right/wrong, it's just good business.  Same for Rodgers making "selfish" decisions.  It's just business and you can't fault the player for it simply bc they represent an individual rather than a collective.