Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

Just now, SSG said:

But is GB willing to operate in a different manner?  Aaron Rodgers spent 5 of his prime years as the most underpaid player in the NFL and Green Bay wasn't using that salary cap flexibility bring in UFAs.  Their big UFA addition in those 5 years was Jeff Saturday.  

Well, they will at least spend to the cap .. which could mean resigning more of our own, or they could use free agency like they did a few years back when they brought in the Smith Bros, Amos and Turner.  That was a very productive freer agent year.  They had cap room and used it.  They haven't had cap space since.

2 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Part of me also wonders if Adams is hoping that, if Rodgers is traded, Adams would get included in the deal. 

Wouldn't surprise me.  Can't imagine that Adams loves the idea of playing for nothing in a contract year with a rookie caliber QB.  

3 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Part of me also wonders if Adams is hoping that, if Rodgers is traded, Adams would get included in the deal. 

If Adams played out his contract and left in free agency next year, I'm assuming he'd earn GB a 3rd round comp pick. So you'd have to be trading something higher than that to get him. If you've already traded a couple first round picks for Rodgers, are you willing to give up a second rounder for Adams too?

6 minutes ago, SSG said:

But is GB willing to operate in a different manner?  Aaron Rodgers spent 5 of his prime years as the most underpaid player in the NFL and Green Bay wasn't using that salary cap flexibility bring in UFAs.  Their big UFA addition in those 5 years was Jeff Saturday.  I think you'd be asking the franchise to operate in a completely different manner than they've operated for the better part of the last 15 years.

I think Gute has shown more of a willingness to spend in free agency .. Ted Thompson was nearly worthless in that regard.

2 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

If Adams played out his contract and left in free agency next year, I'm assuming he'd earn GB a 3rd round comp pick. So you'd have to be trading something higher than that to get him. If you've already traded a couple first round picks for Rodgers, are you willing to give up a second rounder for Adams too?

If we get rid of Rodgers I think the Packers could afford to franchise tag Adams.  He probably won't like it, but that's business.

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

When Adams contract wasn't touched, my first thought was they were caught in no mans land with him. Do you pay him like a Top 5 receiver knowing the back half of that contract could get ugly fast ?

I can't imagine that top 5 will be good enough.  I think he's gonna want a Bak type of market, resetting contract.  I'd be extremely surprised if he's not aiming for Nuke's contract.  Worst case he'll get something north of Julio Jone's contract.  

43 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Gute outsmarted Rodgers at the last contract.  Gave all the money upfront and knew he would have an out after the 2021 season.  Drafted Love so he could have two years seasoning before he was needed.  Aaron does throw a wrench into the smoothness of the plan with an MVP season.  Then realizes that this plays into Gute's hand even more.  Aaron's butt hurt, knowing he's on contract (unlike the Brady scenario) and that there is nothing to do except try to force his way into a new contract with GB or a different team via trade.

Why do people, most notably Rodgers, view making a prescient move to hedge the most important position as a guaranteed exit plan?  The only "plan" the Packers have is winning the Super Bowl.

Rodgers' framing of this is entirely a product of his imagination.  And it's a distraction from actually winning.  

1 minute ago, SSG said:

I can't imagine that top 5 will be good enough.  I think he's gonna want a Bak type of market, resetting contract.  I'd be extremely surprised if he's not aiming for Nuke's contract.  Worst case he'll get something north of Julio Jone's contract.  

I think $20m is the jumping off point. And if I'm understanding things correctly, you can't front load it due to covid, and you hate to back load it due to him being on the wrong side of 30. 

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think Gute has shown more of a willingness to spend in free agency .. Ted Thompson was nearly worthless in that regard.

Gute has been aggressive in UFA in 1 of the 3 years as GM.  Not sure what that means though because Ted was aggressive in 2006 when he brought in Chuck and Pickett.

The best thing to do with Adams is to tag him IMO. He's been through a few injuries. Keeping him for the next 2 years while we get another WR1 and let Love develop is essential. Once that happens we don't wanna be tied to a monster contract.

2 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

Why do people, most notably Rodgers, view making a prescient move to hedge the most important position as a guaranteed exit plan?  The only "plan" the Packers have is winning the Super Bowl.

Rodgers' framing of this is entirely a product of his imagination.  And it's a distraction from actually winning.  

It’s because of Tom Brady. He’s completely reset the expectations for everything. I really believe that’s the long and short of it. I hate that man with a fiery passion. Every year I wish for him to retire, and when he retires, I hope I never have to see him again. 

10 minutes ago, cannondale said:

When Adams contract wasn't touched, my first thought was they were caught in no mans land with him. Do you pay him like a Top 5 receiver knowing the back half of that contract could get ugly fast ?

Set it up to be locked in for 2/3 years with him at that number then in year 2 trade up to draft a WR without calling him.

rinse, repeat...

it’s a people business. We need to make sure to treat them poorly and trade them in for a younger, funnier model.

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't really think of it this way. The main reason Gute had the cap space to spend so much in 2019 was because the 2015 draft class was so abysmal that none of them were worth resigning.

1 minute ago, VonKarman said:

The best thing to do with Adams is to tag him IMO. He's been through a few injuries. Keeping him for the next 2 years while we get another WR1 and let Love develop is essential. Once that happens we don't wanna be tied to a monster contract.

Insist on Jeudy in a deal for Rodgers and when it's time to pay that kid he will be like 26.