Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

1 minute ago, Isherwood said:

It’s because of Tom Brady. He’s completely reset the expectations for everything. I really believe that’s the long and short of it. I hate that man with a fiery passion. Every year I wish for him to retire, and when he retires, I hope I never have to see him again. 

I think that's an overrated narrative.  Bringing in Gronk was very specific to Brady, low risk, and not even guaranteed to work out.  Antonio Brown wasn't close to a sure thing either.  

Just now, cannondale said:

I think $20m is the jumping off point. And if I'm understanding things correctly, you can't front load it due to covid, and you hate to back load it due to him being on the wrong side of 30. 

With 4 WRs in the NFL making that much or more, I think he's going to be demanding a bit more than that.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are leaks about him wanting 25 million a year which would put him squarely between Nuke and Julio. 

Extending Adams is gonna be an uncomfortable conversation regardless of what happens with 12.  Green Bay hasn't traditionally given WRs that 3rd contract.

It isn't important to be "aggressive" in FA.  That normally brings more bad than good.  It's important top be smart in FA.  

It's important to try to put your team in a position to win a Super Bowl.  For 2021.  And 2022.  And 2023.  And 2024 and beyond.

Of course, impossible to be quite that good but that is the goal.  Some teams think they can "go for it" and overload the roster willing to implode and stink for a few years.  Some teams try to maintain the same end result by trying to remain a good team each and every year.  Teams like the Packers, Patriots, Steelers, Ravens and a few others.  Rodgers has had plenty of chances to get it done, and he's failed more than succeeded.  That failure coming in post season.  He's been a great QB and still is.  But at 38, his time is limited.  He has a 3 season contract presently with his name on it.  He needs to honor it, accept an enhanced contract at team terms, or retire.  Those are the only choices he has control over.  The other being IF the team gets a trade deal they are in favor of.  It's just as simple as that.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

If Adams played out his contract and left in free agency next year, I'm assuming he'd earn GB a 3rd round comp pick. So you'd have to be trading something higher than that to get him. If you've already traded a couple first round picks for Rodgers, are you willing to give up a second rounder for Adams too?

True, but the cap savings from Adams also provide value. Especially if GB is resigned to take their lumps in 2021 before surging in 2022 & beyond with a young & hopefully-good QB. A 3rd might cut it. 

Trading for an MVP QB is already an all-in move. If they had a 2nd to spare to also pair him with possibly the #1 WR in the league, who he has chemistry with, they might do it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Insist on Jeudy in a deal for Rodgers and when it's time to pay that kid he will be like 26.

Now....if you were a true people person...or in it for the people.....you'd trade for Jeudy and immediately give him a raise. Taking advantage till he's 26. Tsk, tsk :)

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

The Adams contract will take care of itself.   The Packers will decide if they're willing to pay him top 3 or so money.  If not, tag him and continue to try to sign him after this season.  If you can't, trade him for a 1 or so.  Or, just let him go on his 30 year old way and take the 3 in comp.  WR's are dime a dozen.

2 minutes ago, 15412 said:

The Adams contract will take care of itself.   The Packers will decide if they're willing to pay him top 3 or so money.  If not, tag him and continue to try to sign him after this season.  If you can't, trade him for a 1 or so.  Or, just let him go on his 30 year old way and take the 3 in comp.  WR's are dime a dozen.

For being a dime a dozen....the good one's certainly make good coin.

3 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Yeah, I know this is a little mean spirited, but that post contradicts itself a couple of times.

If you think WRs are a dime a dozen in this system, Adams doesn't have top 3 WR value. Or top 5 value to justify the franchise tag.

For my money I'd either trade him with Rodgers for a 2nd or let him play out his contract and take the 3rd round comp. 

Obviously, you draft his replacement and make sure you call him first.

52 minutes ago, cannondale said:

When Adams contract wasn't touched, my first thought was they were caught in no mans land with him. Do you pay him like a Top 5 receiver knowing the back half of that contract could get ugly fast ?

You can't do it.

Rodgers trade  would give some scope but in that case you are maybe better spending on a younger QB for Love to build chemistry with.

I always thought the 'extend Adams for cap relief' was naive.  He will want a huge contract. If you reduce his 21 cap hit that gets added to the huge contract. Then you have to backload it as we have no cap room in 22.   So you have a huge contract - backloaded with some of the 21 cap relief layered on top. You could be looking 30m a year from 23 onwards for an ageing receiver with an injury history.

Adams is a great WR, but the question will come.  How good did Rodgers make him???

His numbers will likely dip regardless of where he plays.

I think he will be franchised.  For non other than to give Love a year or two with a capable WR.  Its all about growth with Love.  Adams will be a much needed crutch for a year or two.

Edited by NFLGURU

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

Adams is a great WR, but the question will come.  How good did Rodgers make him???

His numbers will likely dip regardless of where he plays.

His numbers will dip only if he's out of his prime (plausible). His numbers weren't any worse playing with the trash we put at QB when Rodgers was out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

His numbers will dip only if he's out of his prime (plausible). His numbers weren't any worse playing with the trash we put at QB when Rodgers was out.

There will be a lot more running the ball.  Adams numbers will dip.

1 hour ago, LacyIsGood said:

Why do people, most notably Rodgers, view making a prescient move to hedge the most important position as a guaranteed exit plan?  The only "plan" the Packers have is winning the Super Bowl.

Rodgers' framing of this is entirely a product of his imagination.  And it's a distraction from actually winning.  

GB plan when signing Rodgers in 2018 to his current contract was better return on investment than what was realized, Rodgers threw a wrench in that plan.  

Gutekunst responded as he should to proceed to a contingency plan in drafting a QB.