Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The one fact remains that IMO is one of the most telling facts we know...12 hasn't demanded a trade or even asked for one. That has never been reported and when guys want to leave a team, they ask for a trade (see Watson, Julio, etc). Rodgers hasn't done that.

How do you know he hasn't asked for a trade? Just because it's never been reported doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Aaron doesn't owe the fans or media an explanation nor do the Packers. GB's stance is going to be he's under contract and we don't discuss internal issues blah blah so forth and so on. ( standard policy forever in GB)

Rodgers agent flew to GB prior to the draft and I promise he didn't go there to buy brats and drink beer. It's possible he even asked out after the season thus the brain trust flying to LA to see him... we just don't really know.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Patience is everything in negotiations. Rodgers literally has no reason to agree to anything right now or even act like he's going to agree to anything right now because, one, it shows weakness, and two, it's June. Rodgers doesn't even want to participate in the off-season program. As such, I doubt he even wants to show up for anything in GB until August. 

The one fact remains that IMO is one of the most telling facts we know...12 hasn't demanded a trade or even asked for one. That has never been reported and when guys want to leave a team, they ask for a trade (see Watson, Julio, etc). Rodgers hasn't done that. Hence, he wants to stay in GB, but acting like he's pissed and is going to sit, etc. gives him more leverage at the table. Hence this is going to keep playing out all of June and probably all of July. 

Exactly, and while Rodgers stays away, Love is getting invaluable reps.  Love is going to get most of the preseason game reps even if Rodgers shows up.  The Packers are in no hurry with Rodgers.  

11 minutes ago, 68md said:

How do you know he hasn't asked for a trade? Just because it's never been reported doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Aaron doesn't owe the fans or media an explanation nor do the Packers. GB's stance is going to be he's under contract and we don't discuss internal issues blah blah so forth and so on. ( standard policy forever in GB)

Rodgers agent flew to GB prior to the draft and I promise he didn't go there to buy brats and drink beer. It's possible he even asked out after the season thus the brain trust flying to LA to see him... we just don't really know.

C'mon man, so Rodgers is keeping his trade demands secret? Then he's a lot dumber than I thought. The number one, hands down, best way for any athlete to get traded by their current team is to make it public they want a trade. If Rodgers' top priority was getting traded, you'd 100% know about it. 

19 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Exactly, and while Rodgers stays away, Love is getting invaluable reps.  Love is going to get most of the preseason game reps even if Rodgers shows up.  The Packers are in no hurry with Rodgers.  

I don't think either side is in any hurry. Deadlines spur action. Here we are talking about August at the earliest as the first deadline. 

• Like 1

I'm hoping that Love takes advantage of all the reps this summer and makes Gute and LaFleur want to deal Rodgers.  If that kid shows that he has the goods they need to get on board with him and let him play.  Bringing back Rodgers would only slow up the rapid development of Love.  As of right now I don't think LaFleur and Gute have seen enough to ride the Love train, but maybe a great summer and some strong preseason game performances will tip the scales.  

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

C'mon man, so Rodgers is keeping his trade demands secret? Then he's a lot dumber than I thought. The number one, hands down, best way for any athlete to get traded by their current team is to make it public they want a trade. If Rodgers' top priority was getting traded, you'd 100% know about it. 

He has zero reason to make it public. And when asked point blank about it, he didn't deny it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fistfullofbeer said:

I would seriously doubt the Packers response would have been 'we are good'. If it really was, that would be a pretty crappy response, simply because Rodgers has been around long enough for them to realize how sensitive he can be about those type of things. Its not like his reaction was something that totally shocked a lot of GB fans.

And at the end of the day, if that is how the Packers did respond, I can totally understand where Rodgers reaction is coming from. I, like a lot of others, just want this to be over. If Rodgers comes back, great. If not, we hopefully trade him and get something to help us rebuild and get to see what Love can do.

The worst scenario for the Packers would be if Rodgers just chooses to sit and/or retire. Given his competitive nature, I truly don't see that happening but at this time, I just want this to be done with one way or the other.

That's pretty much how it went - from my understanding. It was one of the first reports that came out

Edited by cannondale

16 hours ago, 68md said:

Just a though for y'all.

A trade demand doesn't necessarily need to be made out loud or in the media.  Wouldn't a threat to sit out or to retire already imply a desire to be traded?  And once it becomes more than just a threat it practically makes it impossible not to trade him?

Once LaFleur moves on to Love I'd say there's zero chance Rodgers return in 2022 would bump Love from his starting gig.  While I agree that this whole deal may string out for awhile longer I do believe you'll get your answer before the summer is out.

41 minutes ago, soulman said:

Just a though for y'all.

A trade demand doesn't necessarily need to be made out loud or in the media.  Wouldn't a threat to sit out or to retire already imply a desire to be traded?  And once it becomes more than just a threat it practically makes it impossible not to trade him?

Once LaFleur moves on to Love I'd say there's zero chance Rodgers return in 2022 would bump Love from his starting gig.  While I agree that this whole deal may string out for awhile longer I do believe you'll get your answer before the summer is out.

Here's the issue. If Rodgers retires or sits out, things get hellaciously ugly for him financially.

If he chooses to hold out:

He eats 2.35 million in training camp no-show fees. Since the CBA was redone, the team can no longer waive those fees.

He waives his 14.7 million in base salary.

The Packers likely come after him for his $6.8 million dollar roster bonus on the grounds he had no plans to be on the roster.

More importantly, he doesn't gain an accrued season, so he comes right back to where he was contract wise this year.

So he goes from a positive cash flow of +22 million, to a negative cash flow of -9 million.

+++

If he chooses to retire:

The Packers likely come after him for 31 million in signing bonus money.

The Packers likely come at him for his 6.8 million dollar roster bonus

So he goes from a positive cash flow of +22 million to a negative cash flow of -38 million. 

+++

And I'm sure Rodgers is really smart with his money and rakes in a ton of cash in side gigs and the like, but I'm not sure I've ever met an athlete who was setup financially to eat 3 million in costs with no revenue coming in. It's just not in anybody's nature. Maybe Rodgers is the exception, but that is a rough ask of anybody. And it's not just that, it's also leaving probably another $100 million in future earnings on the table, because I doubt the Packers are going to feel particularly motivated to trade Rodgers if he comes back. 

Now maybe the Packers are soft enough that they compromise and let him walk off with half of his money if he retires, but that would be a hard sell to the board. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 2

On 5/25/2021 at 9:35 AM, vegas492 said:

Granted, Rodgers was amazing last year.  What about the year before?  He was good to great.  Not excellent like this past year.  TD's were down for him, up for Jones.

I find little reason to believe that Love can't play at the 2019 Rodgers level, or very close to that level.  Maybe not in year one starting, but year two and three, for sure.

The only thing that makes me hesitate in saying "sure he can do that" is Rodgers' had ridiculously low turnover rates in '18 and '19, whereas Love should be good for double digit turnovers (fumbles and ints) in his first year or two. How many games does that cost GB? As always, it depends. 

On 5/25/2021 at 11:45 AM, vegas492 said:

And yet Ryan Tannehill and Jarred Goff flourished in this style of offense.

Let's not pretend like 2019 Rodgers was anything overly special and we still won 13 games.

The pedestrian Nick Mullens also is one of the most productive year 1 & 2 QBs in league history out in SF.