Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

17 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Thank You The Office GIFs | Tenor

This. It's funny because the very title of this thread is misleading. Rodgers doesn't want out of GB. He wants in long term. 

And I also believe that could very well be true but now it will have to be on his terms and that's where the rub may come in.

I think LaFleur did a great job of accommodating Rodgers more open intuitive playing style last season but how much longer will that continue if Rodgers isn't playing at an MVP level and taking them all to the NFC title came and/or a Super Bowl?

Do the Packers really want to commit to anyl deal that might tie them to Rodgers through 2024 or 2025 when LaFleur has a QB of his choice serving his apprenticeship?  It's a reasonable question for anyone to ask and quite a few have asked that.

And now having said all I care to I'm gonna bow out and wish you all best of luck with Drama in the Tundra.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, soulman said:

And I also believe that could very well be true but now it will have to be on his terms and that's where the rub may come in.

I think LaFleur did a great job of accommodating Rodgers more open intuitive playing style last season but how much longer will that continue if Rodgers isn't playing at an MVP level and taking them all to the NFC title came and/or a Super Bowl?

Do the Packers really want to commit to anyl deal that might tie them to Rodgers through 2024 or 2025 when LaFleur has a QB of his choice serving his apprenticeship?  It's a reasonable question for anyone to ask and quite a few have asked that.

And now having said all I care to I'm gonna bow out and wish you all best of luck with Drama in the Tundra.

I'm hoping by the end of the summer that Jordan Love has shown enough for the Packers to say .. yep, he's our guy.  Right now the Packers brass just isn't sure .. a great summer by Jordan can help the Packers solve this "beautiful mystery".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm hoping by the end of the summer that Jordan Love has shown enough for the Packers to say .. yep, he's our guy.  Right now the Packers brass just isn't sure .. a great summer by Jordan can help the Packers solve this "beautiful mystery".

Conversely, I'd argue Rodgers is happy to wait until the end of the summer as well. If Love doesn't show a lot, it'll provide leverage for Rodgers as well.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Can't believe I'm citing Florio here, but I think this is pretty spot on regarding the situation.

I'm not so sure about that. Pretty much all of the former NFL players have said that no means no. Once that mindset is reached, it can't be reversed.  And Rodgers is the absolute last guy you would want to bring back if he wasn't all in. 

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Conversely, I'd argue Rodgers is happy to wait until the end of the summer as well. If Love doesn't show a lot, it'll provide leverage for Rodgers as well.

Very true!  A bad summer by Love and the Packers are probably more apt to pay Rodgers' price.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Don't agree with that. The Packers have already implemented their worst case scenario plan by bringing in Bortles, they have also already offered the best deal they are going to offer to Dunn and Rodgers. They can act like they think he will be back and they will not trade him because they have time on their side. The only thing the Packers need to do is keep telling the world how much they love him and leave the ball in Dunn and Rodgers court. 

The longer Dunn and Rodgers wait, their number of options gets less and less. 

Edited by R T
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Sure, and that's where the "trade" alternative comes in. My only point is that Rodgers didn't walk into the room and say "I WANT TO BE TRADED, I'M NEVER COMING BACK TO GREEN BAY." His first choice is to stay, but yes, he wants certain terms to go along with that, which is why I do think a trade may be the eventual end to all of this. I just don't think it will (or should) happen in 2021. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Sure, and that's where the "trade" alternative comes in. My only point is that Rodgers didn't walk into the room and say "I WANT TO BE TRADED, I'M NEVER COMING BACK TO GREEN BAY." His first choice is to stay, but yes, he wants certain terms to go along with that, which is why I do think a trade may be the eventual end to all of this. I just don't think it will (or should) happen in 2021. 

Agree with the bolded. Though the concern here is just if his terms for a restructure/extension will even give the Packers an option to trade him in 2022 (or later). I would not be shocked if he wants some kind of trade clause controlling if and/or where he can be traded to.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I just don't think that's enough time. We're never going to know if Love is the "guy" until he gets real game action in games that matter. He needs an evaluation "year" not just an off-season. Rodgers got the same after sitting 3 years, then going through 2008 when he played a full year. At that point, in 2009 we really knew for the first time he was going to be legit. 

The plan is set if Rodgers ends up going along with it. This 2021 team is built for Rodgers, not Love. It's a team that should be knocking on the door again for the SB, but only with 12 at QB. The Packers need 12 back, even if it's only for this season. Next year, you can burn it down, gut the fat that currently has us $30m over the cap (a lot of it just from 12), and get some draft capital to help the mini-rebuild around Love over the next 1-2 seasons when we really find out who he is. 

Edited by packfanfb

24 minutes ago, R T said:

Don't agree with that. The Packers have already implemented their worst case scenario plan by bringing in Bortles, they have also already offered the best deal they are going to offer to Dunn and Rodgers. They can act like they think he will be back and they will not trade him because they have time on their side. The only thing the Packers need to do is keep telling the world how much they love him and leave the ball in Dunn and Rodgers court. 

The longer Dunn and Rodgers wait, their number of options gets less and less. 

Right. At some point, even as big as his ego is, Rodgers (you would think) has to come to terms that his best situation is still GB in 2021 even if he doesn't get what he wants. What good is a trade going to do him in August except put him in a situation that is worse for him for the 2021 season? He has to realize that's idiotic. The only other option then is for him to go all-in and sit out. Again, for several reasons, I'll believe that when I see it. If Rodgers wants to ruin his legacy, sitting out is a great way to start. That leaves the only real alternative...come play in 2021 for GB, then likely following another heartbreaking playoff loss, make it known he wants a trade and the Packers make it happen in February/March 2022. 

Edited by packfanfb

I dont think they'll trade Rodgers.  Not sure about OTAs, but 1 of 2 things will happen.  

1.  He shows up for TC as if nothing happened.

2.  He holds out of TC for a period of time with the media firestorm going on, comes back "For his teammates".

Just now, NFLGURU said:

I dont think they'll trade Rodgers.  Not sure about OTAs, but 1 of 2 things will happen.  

2.  He holds out of TC for a period of time with the media firestorm going on, comes back "For his teammates".

This is about his contract. Dont you think you want to have at least one option that involves it?

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Holding out training camp isn't like it used to be man. He's gonna pay 2.5 million for it. That's not gonna come back. 

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Holding out training camp isn't like it used to be man. He's gonna pay 2.5 million for it. That's not gonna come back. 

Pretty hard for him to justify passing up 2.5 mil when all those small businesses he's passionate about have been struggling to stay open thru a pandemic.  Collect the damn money and donate it.

23 hours ago, fistfullofbeer said:

I would seriously doubt the Packers response would have been 'we are good'. If it really was, that would be a pretty crappy response, simply because Rodgers has been around long enough for them to realize how sensitive he can be about those type of things. Its not like his reaction was something that totally shocked a lot of GB fans.

And at the end of the day, if that is how the Packers did respond, I can totally understand where Rodgers reaction is coming from. I, like a lot of others, just want this to be over. If Rodgers comes back, great. If not, we hopefully trade him and get something to help us rebuild and get to see what Love can do.

The worst scenario for the Packers would be if Rodgers just chooses to sit and/or retire. Given his competitive nature, I truly don't see that happening but at this time, I just want this to be done with one way or the other.

That's where I'm at.  My first choice would be an extension for Rodgers letting him retire a Packer.  If that doesn't happen I'd just assume he's traded now because NOTHING good is going to come with him playing on a lame duck deal.  I think we'd watch the locker room completely implode and we'd struggle to win 6 games.