Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

8 minutes ago, SSG said:

That's where I'm at.  My first choice would be an extension for Rodgers letting him retire a Packer.  If that doesn't happen I'd just assume he's traded now because NOTHING good is going to come with him playing on a lame duck deal.  I think we'd watch the locker room completely implode and we'd struggle to win 6 games.  

A lame duck deal is when you are on the final year of a deal.  He's got three years left, so that "lame duck" chatter is kind of concocted Player/Agent speak.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

If that doesn't happen I'd just assume he's traded now because NOTHING good is going to come with him playing on a lame duck deal.

It's not a lame duck deal though. Thats your mis-characterization of it. AR's on a multi-year contract now.

There's no guarantee the team will trade him should his level of play remain high. There's a financial break for the team IF they want to move him after 2021 - but he's under contract through 2023. 

Any number of players are actually on the last year of their contract right now. It's interesting how their situation is described as being in "a contract year" as opposed to "a lame duck deal."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

A lame duck deal is when you are on the final year of a deal.  He's got three years left, so that "lame duck" chatter is kind of concocted Player/Agent speak.

It's lame duck in a sense that he would most likely have no future with the GB packers after '21.  Green Bay can move him after this year with very little negative financial impact.  He could be stuck playing the last 2 years of his contract for the first dumpster fire that offered Green Bay a trade package.  It's lame duck in a sense that Aaron Rodgers has 0 security in Green Bay after this year.

I don't think the term "lame duck" is specific to a player that's in a contract year.  

4 minutes ago, SSG said:

It's lame duck in a sense that he would most likely have no future with the GB packers after '21.  Green Bay can move him after this year with very little negative financial impact.  He could be stuck playing the last 2 years of his contract for the first dumpster fire that offered Green Bay a trade package.  It's lame duck in a sense that Aaron Rodgers has 0 security in Green Bay after this year.

I don't think the term "lame duck" is specific to a player that's in a contract year.  

From my knowledge a lame duck season refers to a guy being in the final year of his deal .. this Rodgers deal is the first time I've ever heard a multi year deal referred to as being lame duck.  If Rodgers wins another MVP or Super Bowl for the Packers in 2021 they aren't getting rid of him no matter what his cap hit is.

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's not a lame duck deal though. Thats your mis-characterization of it. AR's on a multi-year contract now.

There's no guarantee the team will trade him should his level of play remain high. There's a financial break for the team IF they want to move him after 2021 - but he's under contract through 2023. 

Any number of players are actually on the last year of their contract right now. It's interesting how their situation is described as being in "a contract year" as opposed to "a lame duck deal."

If I'm miss characterizing so are thousands of people writing articles all over the internet.  

I don't believe that someone has to be in the final year of a contract to be considered "lame duck".  Aaron Rodgers could potentially have no future with the Green Bay Packers past this year which would make him a "lame duck".  A definition for Lame Duck is "anyone or anything soon to be supplanted by another".

11 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

From my knowledge a lame duck season refers to a guy being in the final year of his deal .. this Rodgers deal is the first time I've ever heard a multi year deal referred to as being lame duck.  If Rodgers wins another MVP or Super Bowl for the Packers in 2021 they aren't getting rid of him no matter what his cap hit is.

A definition for Lame Duck is "anyone or anything soon to be supplanted by another". 

The legal dictionary described it as "one who holds power when the power is certain to end in the near future" which describes 12's contract perfectly IMO.   

You can say that Green Bay wouldn't move on from him but management's QB is on the bench.  The sooner he's on the field the better it is for the GBP.  Super Bowl, MVP.... none of that would matter even slightly if they thought Jordan Love could step in and start effectively.  They'd move Aaron Rodgers regardless of how he's playing without a second of hesitation which is why 12 wants security (IMO).

Edited by SSG

27 minutes ago, SSG said:

?

I certainly understood what you meant - but - given that AR's under contract for 3 more years - "most likely to have no future in GB" is a concept that could apply TO ALL of them!

If AR's got no future - what about those whose contracts run out after this year? How does AR have less security than they do?

Motivation. It's a powerful tool. Without engaging you in another long revisiting of history.......AR's play had become sloppy, dispirited, seemingly unmotivated and his "leadership" qualities were under critical review as he was both publicly and privately badmouthing a SB winning HC -who happened to have a really good winning % - none of which stopped AR from dissing him both inside and outside the locker room. Good leaders are made of sterner stuff IMO.

Along comes Jordan Love and suddenly MVP AR shows up again. I find that Interesting.

Just finished reading how Big Ben took a pay cut to return to Pittsburgh this year. A pay cut in the form of a signing bonus this year.

On paper he's under contract thru 2025 - but he'll never get there.

New contract terms:
Signing bonus prorates over 5 years, the last 4 voidable
Contract will automatically void after 2021, leaving behind $10.34M of dead cap

Sound familiar?  AR's dead cap after 2021 would be 17.2M - but who's to say if his level of play remains high the team couldnt spread that out - over the years already on his contract?

There's no guarantees in life - but AR's got a lot more security than 95% of NFL players.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

It's probably an ambiguous term these days, but in politics it's the period from the election until the next person takes over ... November to January.

In sports I've heard the term a lot in regards to coaches, and when applied there it's always a coach that enters his final season without a deal.

I think the NFL players are throwing the term around when a team can get out of their deals cheaply.  I think Aaron is being super insecure.  As long as he performs at an extremely high level he's probably pretty safe.  Win a damn super bowl .. that would be some instant job security.  He's also safe if Love is a bust.  

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

?

I certainly understood what you meant - but - given that AR's under contract for 3 more years - "most likely to have no future in GB" is a concept that could apply TO ALL of them!

If AR's got no future - what about those whose contracts run out after this year? How does AR have less security than they do?

Motivation. It's a powerful tool. Without engaging you in another long revisiting of history.......AR's play had become sloppy, dispirited, seemingly unmotivated and his "leadership" qualities were under critical review as he was both publicly and privately badmouthing a SB winning HC -who happened to have a really good winning % - none of which stopped AR from dissing him both inside and outside the locker room. Good leaders are made of sterner stuff IMO.

Along comes Jordan Love and suddenly MVP AR shows up again. I find that Interesting.

Just finished reading how Big Ben took a pay cut to return to Pittsburgh this year. A pay cut in the form of a signing bonus this year.

On paper he's under contract thru 2025 - but he'll never get there.

New contract terms:
Signing bonus prorates over 5 years, the last 4 voidable
Contract will automatically void after 2021, leaving behind $10.34M of dead cap

Sound familiar?  AR's dead cap after 2021 would be 17.2M - but who's to say if his level of play remains high the team couldnt spread that out - over the years already on his contract?

There's no guarantees in life - but AR's got a lot more security than 95% of NFL players.

The team after June 1st saves money moving on from him and the team's savings get bigger with each succeeding year.  I would characterize where he is right now in his contract as "Prove it or Lose it" years.  Because the team can save money getting rid of him, he needs to PROVE IT to the team every year now that he deserves a place there.  Otherwise he risks getting cut or traded.  Not a fun position to be in, but many low round picks and unsigned free agents are in the same place.  If he wins MVP again this year and the Packers win a Super Bowl, I highly doubt the team would cut or trade him.  Love would just have to sit and learn for another year.  But the pressure is on Rodgers every year to produce and earn his place over and over again.

3 hours ago, soulman said:

And I also believe that could very well be true but now it will have to be on his terms and that's where the rub may come in.

I think LaFleur did a great job of accommodating Rodgers more open intuitive playing style last season but how much longer will that continue if Rodgers isn't playing at an MVP level and taking them all to the NFC title came and/or a Super Bowl?

Do the Packers really want to commit to anyl deal that might tie them to Rodgers through 2024 or 2025 when LaFleur has a QB of his choice serving his apprenticeship?  It's a reasonable question for anyone to ask and quite a few have asked that.

And now having said all I care to I'm gonna bow out and wish you all best of luck with Drama in the Tundra.

Thanks for coming in. I'm sure you're tore up about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's probably an ambiguous term these days, but in politics it's the period from the election until the next person takes over ... November to January.

In sports I've heard the term a lot in regards to coaches, and when applied there it's always a coach that enters his final season without a deal.

I think the NFL players are throwing the term around when a team can get out of their deals cheaply.  I think Aaron is being super insecure.  As long as he performs at an extremely high level he's probably pretty safe.  Win a damn super bowl .. that would be some instant job security.  He's also safe if Love is a bust.  

Why shouldn't Rodgers be insecure though?  He just watched the GBP go all in on his replacement last off-season despite making it to the NFCC game the year prior.  The front office made very little moves last off-season aimed at 2020 improvements.  It was the sort of off-season you'd see from a team in a rebuild not a championship push.  The writing was on the wall that 2021 was potentially his last year in Green Bay regardless of how he played.    

5 minutes ago, SSG said:

Why shouldn't Rodgers be insecure though?  He just watched the GBP go all in on his replacement last off-season despite making it to the NFCC game the year prior.  The front office made very little moves last off-season aimed at 2020 improvements.  It was the sort of off-season you'd see from a team in a rebuild not a championship push.  The writing was on the wall that 2021 was potentially his last year in Green Bay regardless of how he played.    

He shouldn't be insecure because if Green Bay does move on, he most likely gets an extension from the new team and another big payday.

I don't believe this is about contract security.  I am old enough remember Jabbar forcing his trade out of Milwaukee, and this looks to be the same thing for Rodgers.  I think that like Jabbar, he wants to be somewhere that better fits his non- football life.

29 minutes ago, SSG said:

I think 2022 was the year that made the most sense to part ways with Aaron .. just a few million in dead cap compared to 17 mil in 2021.

*** Actually the dead cap in 2022 would be 17 mil, and 2.5 or so in 2023.  I'd say Rodgers has more security than he is letting on.

Edited by {Family Ghost}