Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

He shouldn't be insecure because if Green Bay does move on, he most likely gets an extension from the new team and another big payday.

I don't believe this is about contract security.  I am old enough remember Jabbar forcing his trade out of Milwaukee, and this looks to be the same thing for Rodgers.  I think that like Jabbar, he wants to be somewhere that better fits his non- football life.

If he would just come out and publicly demand a trade he more than likely would get one.  

Tail is beginning to chase dog, and the team needs to prevent that.

If traded I for many do not believe it will be anytime this month.  If you can believe what is said about both sides, the team won't trade him and Rodgers wants out.  For now.

I believe the team would be doing a great dis-service to itself if it weren't listening to trade offers at this point.  You can continue to say you're not trading him, but at least know what is on the table from each and any team.  I don't think they want this bleeding into the July camp.

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

If he would just come out and publicly demand a trade he more than likely would get one.  

What Rodgers has said, however, is opposite of demanding a trade; he just wants Gutey fired. Rodgers has had nothing but positive things to say about his teammates, MLF, and the rest of the coaching staff not to mention Green Bay itself. I honestly think he wants to retire as a Packer and feels he has the leverage to make that happen.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

What Rodgers has said, however, is opposite of demanding a trade; he just wants Gutey fired. Rodgers has had nothing but positive things to say about his teammates, MLF, and the rest of the coaching staff not to mention Green Bay itself. I honestly think he wants to retire as a Packer and feels he has the leverage to make that happen.

Has he publicly said he wants Gutey fired?

6 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

He shouldn't be insecure because if Green Bay does move on, he most likely gets an extension from the new team and another big payday.

I don't believe this is about contract security.  I am old enough remember Jabbar forcing his trade out of Milwaukee, and this looks to be the same thing for Rodgers.  I think that like Jabbar, he wants to be somewhere that better fits his non- football life.

Maybe, or maybe the team that trades for him sees that contract as a huge part of the allurer.  A MVP caliber QB for the same sort of contract a scrub like Jared Goff is playing on.  Even then, he's still potentially playing for a dumpster fire that isn't playing for anything like Favre in his first year post GB.  

Maybe though that would contradict 100% of what's he's said over his career.  Last year we got a quality peek into Rodger's mind via the Pat Mcafee show and he never waivered on wanting to retire as a Packer.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Has he publicly said he wants Gutey fired?

Yes and no. Everything has been behind the scenes from "sources" and emails/tweets/whatever, BUT Rodgers has yet to deny any of that stuff so if it weren't true, wouldn't one think that Rodgers would be ahead of that? JMO

12 minutes ago, Joe said:

"Just" wanting to get the GM fired isn't exactly conducive to wanting to retire here. If he seriously believes he can win this power play and come out looking like the team is what he cares about he's more deluded than I ever could have imagined him being.

Edited by Rodjahs12
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, SSG said:

Maybe, or maybe the team that trades for him sees that contract as a huge part of the allurer.  A MVP caliber QB for the same sort of contract a scrub like Jared Goff is playing on.  Even then, he's still potentially playing for a dumpster fire that isn't playing for anything like Favre in his first year post GB.  

Maybe though that would contradict 100% of what's he's said over his career.  Last year we got a quality peek into Rodger's mind via the Pat Mcafee show and he never waivered on wanting to retire as a Packer.  

So how is demanding a trade now any better?

I just feel like the security argument doesn't hold up when in reality a trade this year is no better than a trade next year.  Either way, the risks you put forth for the trade result are there.

13 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think 2022 was the year that made the most sense to part ways with Aaron .. just a few million in dead cap compared to 17 mil in 2021.

You are talking about after 2022, going into 2023.

2023 makes sense if Jordan Love needed 3 years in the league to develop.  If they thought Love could start in 2022 they'd have moved on from 12 quickly and without hesitation given the substantial amount of saving and potential trade package (IMO).  

I don't for a second believe the front office when they say they were committed to a future with Aaron Rodgers as QB because their 2020 offseason suggested otherwise.  And I'm not blaming the front office, Aaron Rodgers isn't their QB.  There's obviously long standing issues with Rodgers and this front office so It wouldn't at all surprise me if they wanted to move on from 12 ASAP.  They'd save over 21 million in cap space by moving him prior to 2022.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SSG said:

You are talking about after 2022, going into 2023.

2023 makes sense if Jordan Love needed 3 years in the league to develop.  If they thought Love could start in 2022 they'd have moved on from 12 quickly and without hesitation given the substantial amount of saving and potential trade package (IMO).  

I don't for a second believe the front office when they say they were committed to a future with Aaron Rodgers as QB because their 2020 offseason suggested otherwise.  And I'm not blaming the front office, Aaron Rodgers isn't their QB.  There's obviously long standing issues with Rodgers and this front office so It wouldn't at all surprise me if they wanted to move on from 12 ASAP.  They'd save over 21 million in cap space by moving him prior to 2022.  

The Colin Cowherd argument essentially. I completely agree and don't'cha think the Bortles signing just might play into this?

I get why the team wanted him back for at least one more year.  At the same time, even if Love isn't ready or isn't the guy with the treasure they would get for 12 in a trade they could move up and draft that guy.  I really do not believe this is the primary motivator for the team.  It's all about timing.  I do think the team has time, but as late July approaches that time slowly begins to dwindle.  

11 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

So how is demanding a trade now any better?

I just feel like the security argument doesn't hold up when in reality a trade this year is no better than a trade next year.  Either way, the risks you put forth for the trade result are there.

It's not any better but it's probably the next best thing if he doesn't think he can retire a Packer.  

It's an extra year of MVP level play for a team that's likely making a long term investment into him assuming he gets a say in where he's going with his trade demand.  He also likely has more leverage coming off the best season of his career.   

Hard telling what his intent is.  He hasn't come out and made anything black/ white and what he has said is his typical psychobabble BS.  There are a plethora of unknowns on both sides of the table.  

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

The Colin Cowherd argument essentially. I completely agree and don't'cha think the Bortles signing just might play into this?

Not sure I do.  They needed camp arms and Blake Bortles hasn't shown anything over the last couple years that would suggest he can be a capable starter.  He's been passed on multiple depth charts by guys that won't be anything more than career back ups.  

29 minutes ago, Joe said:

He didn't mention anyone in the front office.  Not Murphy, not Gute, not Ball..... I'm not sure that his issue isn't with all of them more so than one guy given the reports. 

Stephen A has reported on multiple occasions that someone in the front office told him to shut the hell out, get out of their office and not worry about anything other than playing QB when he had personnel suggestions.  There are also the reports that Murphy told him to "not be the problem".

46 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think 2022 was the year that made the most sense to part ways with Aaron .. just a few million in dead cap compared to 17 mil in 2021.

*** Actually the dead cap in 2022 would be 17 mil, and 2.5 or so in 2023.  I'd say Rodgers has more security than he is letting on.

Correct. It's 17.2M *after* this season.

Edited by Leader