Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

The Packers will have to eat his dead cap someday.  The key is not to corner yourself further in guaranteed money for a 38 year old so that dead cap money triples farther down the road.

I think the entire issue here is the push/pull about who gets to control when Rodgers' Green Bay career ends.  Rodgers wants to avoid the situation where the FO can just say "well, Love is ready, so see ya" while Green Bay wants to avoid Rodgers being able to put them between a rock and a hard place.

Neither side benefits from Rodgers forcing the issue this year, so that's why there's not going to be any trade in 2021.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Very true!  A bad summer by Love and the Packers are probably more apt to pay Rodgers' price.

But how long can you paint Rodgers as the current and future savior of the franchise?....How many MVP seasons does AR have left?...Or like so many QB's prior, will 40 be his death knell?...

3 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

But how long can you paint Rodgers as the current and future savior of the franchise?....How many MVP seasons does AR have left?...Or like so many QB's prior, will 40 be his death knell?...

I really think the guy has five seasons in him if he wants it bad enough, but you never know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think the entire issue here is the push/pull about who gets to control when Rodgers' Green Bay career ends.  Rodgers wants to avoid the situation where the FO can just say "well, Love is ready, so see ya" while Green Bay wants to avoid Rodgers being able to put them between a rock and a hard place.

Neither side benefits from Rodgers forcing the issue this year, so that's why there's not going to be any trade in 2021.

Well presumably Rodgers benefits from forcing the issue this year or at least in his head.

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

So how is demanding a trade now any better?

I just feel like the security argument doesn't hold up when in reality a trade this year is no better than a trade next year.  Either way, the risks you put forth for the trade result are there.

What does security even mean anyway for  someone like  Rodgers who is set up for life. Money is irrelevant.

I dunno, nobody knows what's going on inside his head. Most of what we think we know would suggest he is desperate for a second title. Packers give him a great chance in 2021 - they clearly are all-in. All cap resource has been pushed to the middle. As a soon to be 38 year old, really that should outweigh everything at this point in his career. You would think.

If we were rebuilding with an eye on Love that you could understand. But we have brought everyone back to have another run at it with restructures and void years and whatever we can to kick cap down the line. He supposedly loves the players and coaches. 

Surely playing 2021 for Packers in an all-in team and then trading in 2022 when we probably have to rebuild anyway is a pretty good situation for him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Well presumably Rodgers benefits from forcing the issue this year or at least in his head.

It's more than in his head. He has the MVP bargaining chip. As he himself said, the MVP award is the "wrench in the system" (or something to that effect) - i.e. - it makes getting rid of him harder and he's playing that card in the current negotiations.

The other bargaining chip is his contract holds the most money GB could use in the current cap situation.

He knew GB could move him (more or less) painlessly after this season - so I think he's trying to secure guarantees to some / all / more years than currently covered under his contract. Which it is....is anybody's guess....but I suspect it's one of them.

In the interview with Mayne, Rodgers had complained about the philosophical differences between him and the management as the biggest problem. Will a new deal address that on its own? Lets say we extend Rodgers for another 2 years and make him untradeable till the 2023 season (or beyond). Does that 'fix' the philosophical differences?

That is the only time Rodgers has come out and publicly addressed the issue. And based on that I just don't know if a new contract fixes the problem

17 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

In the interview with Mayne, Rodgers had complained about the philosophical differences between him and the management as the biggest problem. Will a new deal address that on its own? Lets say we extend Rodgers for another 2 years and make him untradeable till the 2023 season (or beyond). Does that 'fix' the philosophical differences?

That is the only time Rodgers has come out and publicly addressed the issue. And based on that I just don't know if a new contract fixes the problem

I think you nailed it.  Guaranteed money has nothing to do with "philosophical" differences.  Rodgers is either lying about that and it IS about guaranteed money or no new contract can fix this.

The philosophical or cultural differences must have to do with his version of playing nice, which means informing his majesty of player moves before they're made.  Sending Nelson and Cobb packing was bad enough.   The kicker to this all, cutting TD Kumerow the day after Rod said he has essentially made the team really spanked his behind.

Edited by 15412

"He has the MVP bargaining chip. As he himself said, the MVP award is the "wrench in the system" (or something to that effect) -"

I don't know why this is important.  He in no way should have won the MVP, it shouldn't be given out until March.   Brady clearly was the MVP over him.  Having pretty QB ratings are nice but winning games is or should be king.  Triple that post season.  Rodgers had every opportunity to win that last very important game.  But to write a whole new contract the most important issue is whether or not the guy will be worth it as you near the end.  He's a Hall of Fame QB you might say, an MVP QB.  But we're paying him for the future.  Not the past.  We've already got too much dead money with him from the past.

7 minutes ago, 15412 said:

"He has the MVP bargaining chip. As he himself said, the MVP award is the "wrench in the system" (or something to that effect) -"

I don't know why this is important.  He in no way should have won the MVP, it shouldn't be given out until March.   Brady clearly was the MVP over him.  Having pretty QB ratings are nice but winning games is or should be king.  Triple that post season.  Rodgers had every opportunity to win that last very important game.  But to write a whole new contract the most important issue is whether or not the guy will be worth it as you near the end.  He's a Hall of Fame QB you might say, an MVP QB.  But we're paying him for the future.  Not the past.  We've already got too much dead money with him from the past.

The whole MVP excuse is hard to understand anyway (deserving or otherwise). Given the way his deal is structured, GB trading Rodgers in 2021 was never in the best interest of the organization. There is still a very good chance that he gets traded in 2022 (unless a new contract happens or he gets traded this year).

All winning the MVP did was give him leverage to re-negotiate his contract since this is the only time he may be able to control his own destiny (outside of retirement). 

The abridged, prolly not accurate recap of the situation:

1. Top brass had legitimate concerns with Rodger's declining seasons - drafted Love to prepare for the inevitable.

2. Rodgers get's "motivated" and shows up and and shows out - wins MVP.

3. Brady, the ageless pr!ck that he is, goes to another team and wins a Superb Owl. 

4. Packer's brass is like, WTF we gonna do now?  We have an MVP QB who wants to match Brady's immortal playing status and he's playing legit within our system.

5.  Jordan Love, while impressive, is conceivably not ready to be QB #1, so they grab Bortles in case Rodgers leaves.

6.  Packers brass, in cap hell in the near-term, is scrambling to figure out how to make this all work and fast, cuz the season is fast approaching.  

There's just not enough Pepto Bismo to go around at 1265 to ease this level of heartburn.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

The abridged, prolly not accurate recap of the situation:

1. Top brass had legitimate concerns with Rodger's declining seasons - drafted Love to prepare for the inevitable.

2. Rodgers get's "motivated" and shows up and and shows out - wins MVP.

3. Brady, the ageless pr!ck that he is, goes to another team and wins a Superb Owl. 

4. Packer's brass is like, WTF we gonna do now?  We have an MVP QB who wants to match Brady's immortal playing status and he's playing legit within our system.

5.  Jordan Love, while impressive, is conceivably not ready to be QB #1, so they grab Bortles in case Rodgers leaves.

6.  Packers brass, in cap hell in the near-term, is scrambling to figure out how to make this all work and fast, cuz the season is fast approaching.  

There's just not enough Pepto Bismo to go around at 1265 to ease this level of heartburn.

Nice summary SQ.

4 hours ago, Joe said:

Yes and no. Everything has been behind the scenes from "sources" and emails/tweets/whatever, BUT Rodgers has yet to deny any of that stuff so if it weren't true, wouldn't one think that Rodgers would be ahead of that? JMO

Hasn't various reports stated he wants out of GB?  He hasn't denied those either, so by similar connecting of dots, he wants to be traded as much as connecting of dots that he wants Gutekunst fired.