Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

Just now, Refugee said:

This has always been the case just by looking at AR's contract.  If he doesn't get his extension, next year a trade is very much in play.  Love will have to show something before that happens.  12 doesn't have as much leverage as he thinks unless he would actually be willing to sit out, which would be worthy of drama.  We will be drafting for the future.

This ^^

Next year was always the target to trade AR if thats the route we were gonna take - and he knows it - which is probably why he's pushing the issue for extension / guarantees now.

The COVID cap reduction also played into his hands as his contract went astronomical the same time as the cap itself lost....what (?) 15%?  -  so he was left holding a large chunk of cash - that he's trying to extract concessions in order to give up. Makes sense.

The media's doing what the media always does - blows things up. In fact - NOTHING has to happen in order for next season to roll around and get going. Would it be nice to have more cash on hand to buy a player or two? Sure....but its not mandatory. 

I am not surprised. Rodgers has always had a chip on his shoulder and has a massive ego (most stars do). Picking Love last year lit a fire under his *** and guess what he did. He won the MVP and took the team to the NFC championship game. He wanted and extension and didnt get one. Its his right (understandably) to be upset.

That being said, its not very professional of him to act this way. My opinion is to stay the course and draft like we normally had planned to this year. He is our starter but if he chooses to not play this season, so be it. We go with Love and see what happens. Move him next season no matter what. It hurts the trade value but is better for the organization as a while.

And while I am a big Rodgers supporter and was really pissed last year with the drafting of Love and getting him no WR support, temper tantrums and ultimatums like what Rodgers is giving us really bothers me (assuming this is true).

Edited by fistfullofbeer

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

The guy who entered the league via replacing a 37 year old HOF QB is going to get his undies in a bunch that at 37 the organization has a QB in place to replace him?

Good riddance than Aaron, and yeah, you are kinda short too.

TBF to Rodgers, while his play flagged a bit for a couple years there, he was NEVER playing the 'ooooo maybe I'll retire THIS year....or not....but maybe" game Favre had already been playing for a bit before Rodgers was drafted. 

36 minutes ago, mtsportsfan1 said:

So well said. Gutey being absolutely stupid ,can't admit he made a mistake. Unless his marching orders are coming from the top he needs to be let go . If not then Murphy has to go. After 30 years of hof qb's and only three superbowls (not spoiled ,fan since the early 70's ) because we always seem to draft for the future. Our top brass has taken advantage of the fact we are the best fan base in pro sports. This twice now (maybe) albeit different circumstances that we have a franchise qb wanting to leave. If this h happens it's time to find new leadership.

Moving on from a franchise QB before they become a shell of their former selves (which occurs with age) allows the Packers to maintain a playoff competitive team every year. This is good business, Murphy's job is to do good business. Gutey's job is as well. Mortgaging the future to negligibly increase the probability of superbowl victory in exchange for a decade of bad football (which comes because you can't afford to re-sign the core players you need to when you overpay a QB who is no longer elite) is bad business... which is why this is a bad take. 

Edited by HokieHigh
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Bestest most entitled fanbase ever.

Really ,how do you figure that. Are saying as a packer fan that I can't be disappointed that with 2 hof qb's that we have to just 3 SB. Yes , I'm quite sure there are quite a few teams that would love to change places , but the simple fact that is we didn't go all enough to win at times.

I get this from both sides. The Packers thought they could get cute and draft their next franchise QB well before their current one expressed his desire to stop playing and thought they could somehow keep everyone happy. It was a stupid miscalculation. To me, when it turns out you've STILL got the MVP at the most important position and a championship caliber roster, you admit your mistake, trade the replacement who through no fault of his own started this chain reaction, and seize the chance to win now and commit to the player who gives you the best immediate chance to win. Love is the sunk cost. I don't fault the Packers for trying to avoid a dark period at QB. And I don't fault Rodgers for wanting the team to do everything it can to win now. The perfect plan didn't work. It didn't work because the current guy has a lot more left in the tank than they thought. Extend Rodgers and trade Love for whatever you can get.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

How dare you lump the New Jersey Devils in with that reprehensible franchise in Detroit.

Well see....that proves my point. The images are so similar I couldnt tell they were different teams.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

How dare you lump the New Jersey Devils in with that reprehensible franchise in Detroit.

God I only hate a couple teams....The Colorado Avalanche and the New Jersey Devils.....How dare he is right..I am literrally at a loss for words right now. First this Rodgers crap and now the wings being compared to the Devils...I need a drink or 10.