Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He'll show.

Losing 2.5 million as well as the accrued season will be too much.

2.5 million is if the team is nice. I know for a fact they can go after that 6m + roster bonus too. Think they can also go after the portion of the SB that is prorated for this year's cap. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

2.5 million is if the team is nice. I know for a fact they can go after that 6m + roster bonus too. Think they can also go after the portion of the SB that is prorated for this year's cap. 

Correct, 2.5 is the cost before the Packers organization gets involved. 

Obviously I want this resolved quickly and quietly, but damn there is a part of me that wants to see the Packers organization get downright nasty with Rodgers. 

• Like 1

I think it most likely Rodg does come back by camp, I just hope it's not with a new deal that buries the team in guaranteed money.  I'd stick with play or retire on your current or slightly enhanced deal.  I would also fine him every dollar I could.  His majesty should not be treated any different than a lowly guard in that regard.  To do so is a true demonstration of a lack of respect for all players and sets a very negative precedent.

22 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I honestly don't care if he is traded, retires or plays.  Either way, my life is not going to be impacted by #12.

But, to your question, if he comes back, will we get "best efforts"?

My opinion is that Rodgers is a professional.  Once he is in the locker room, with his friends, he will be "in" at 100%.

Only way that changes is if our coach goes back to running the ball more in the red zone and taking away some of his TD passes.  That's when the body language changes.  We went back to throwing more TD's this past season, and if that remains the same, I feel like we are all good.

I agree.  Few people tank even if they are unhappy.  I am actually surprised it doesn't happen more.   

But I am thinking if he is not highly motivated he isn't working out his hardest for the season, putting in extra time with receivers, etc.    He is going through motions.  

That is what I mean by best efforts.   Getting to SB is thin margins.

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He'll show.

Can you explain this? I thought he only had to start 6 games to accrue a season. How does holding out during training camp affect it?

26 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I honestly don't care if he is traded, retires or plays.  Either way, my life is not going to be impacted by #12.

But, to your question, if he comes back, will we get "best efforts"?

My opinion is that Rodgers is a professional.  Once he is in the locker room, with his friends, he will be "in" at 100%.

Only way that changes is if our coach goes back to running the ball more in the red zone and taking away some of his TD passes.  That's when the body language changes.  We went back to throwing more TD's this past season, and if that remains the same, I feel like we are all good.

And I sense, by your first sentence, that GB fans are getting tired of the Rodgers offseason show.

I actually kind of see his point of view.   Especially in light of how TB was treated recently in Tampa.   

From his perspective he is thinking these guys never ask my input on personnel or even tell me what they are thinking, they didn't ask my input on a new coach, they cut my close friends without telling me and rather than going all in a SB run in my later years they start a rebuild for future.   They see me as just a grunt and not an integral member of organization who given my age, knowledge and stature should be treated differently and with deference.  

From GB FO perspective it was we are treading water and getting close but no cigar. We have an aging QB on a big contract.   This is a really good time to bring in a young QB to mentor and transition to next phase while we take a few more shots with our star QB.

From fan perspective it is, hey you got paid, you agreed to that contract which was fair.   They even offered you more, which you turned down.  Team will do what is best for team and not just for you.   They are not under obligation to inform you on coach, draft or FA moves especially when secrecy is paramount.   And don't compare yourself to Brady, because he sacrifices for team by taking less than market value.    Everyone gets replaced at some point.  That is professional sports.   Be a professional about it and get out there and do your job. 

51 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He'll show.

Should be interesting! Regardless, I hope the word out of this week is Jordan Love has improved an great deal. 

31 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Can you explain this? I thought he only had to start 6 games to accrue a season. How does holding out during training camp affect it?

You're thinking of for Practice Squad guys. They get an accrued season if they're on the active roster for 6 games.

In the case of a training camp holdout, you lose your accrued season immediately. It used to be 31 days before the first game, which is why you would see guys hold out for the first 2 weeks and then report. The new CBA changed it to immediately.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm hoping that Love can cut it loose at some point in this minicamp.  He'll have a ton more talent on hand at WR, and hopefully the coaches will be able to open things up a bit more.  All told I think the Packers drafted their heir to Rodgers at least two years too early, but given the current circumstances I'm hoping Love starts to inspire the confidence of coaches, players and fans alike.  I don't think you have to be an elite talent to find success in this current GB offense, so hopefully it starts coming quickly to Love.

While I see your point, if you think you have found the guy to be a successor, AND you've done it without breaking the bank and can afford to wait years to where he can get NFL-level comfortable................        then getting (what you think is) the right guy, trumps having done it earlier than the ideal timeline.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

While I see your point, if you think you have found the guy to be a successor, AND you've done it without breaking the bank and can afford to wait years to where he can get NFL-level comfortable................        then getting (what you think is) the right guy, trumps having done it earlier than the ideal timeline.

Agree.

Players are drafted every year that are intended to eventually step in and play - that means, replacing somebody.

The only thing that differentiates the Love selection from any other player is the team moved up to get him - at a "singular position" - when AR was the Top Dog. The move immediately triggered / challenged the sports media infrastructure which is *very much* player driven - more so - its stars.

I remain committed to thinking that it woke up AR and resulted in his better performance. Good. That makes it a REALLY GOOD selection IMO. Maximizing production from players under contract. Thats a good thing in my book.

I never thought the Packers would draft Love when they did - wasnt close to being on my radar screen - but it makes sense and I dont have a problem with it.

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I agree.  Few people tank even if they are unhappy.  I am actually surprised it doesn't happen more.   

But I am thinking if he is not highly motivated he isn't working out his hardest for the season, putting in extra time with receivers, etc.    He is going through motions.  

That is what I mean by best efforts.   Getting to SB is thin margins.

Oh, we know thin margins very well!

Rodgers knows the offense and the players are remaining the same.  He doesn't really need reps.  The past pre-seasons have shown us that.  All Rodgers really has to do is take a days worth of reps under center with the rookie to get used to his snaps and rear end.  And that is about it.

If Rodgers returns, this team gets to the big game only if the defense takes a massive step forward.  And it can.  The talent is there.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Man, I for one can't wait until we get rid of this bum QB. 

Those 2020 stats are meaningless if the player they are attached to decides to sit his *** on the bench the whole season. In that scenario, he will effectively be dead-last in all those stats. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Correct, 2.5 is the cost before the Packers organization gets involved. 

Obviously I want this resolved quickly and quietly, but damn there is a part of me that wants to see the Packers organization get downright nasty with Rodgers. 

So let me ask a question hypothetically speaking. 

Say Rodgers doesn't show up for camp and GB goes after this money and then trades him do we recoup that money? Does it go to arbitration? How would that work if we trade him?