Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

So let me ask a question hypothetically speaking. 

Say Rodgers doesn't show up for camp and GB goes after this money and then trades him do we recoup that money? Does it go to arbitration? How would that work if we trade him? 

Rodgers loses the 2.5 regardless of the Packers coming after his money.

The roster bonus and the prorated signing bonus would go to arbitration. 

As far as I know we wouldn't get any cap back.

If you trade him, it's the same as cutting him. All the guaranteed money accelerates to the current year, pending June 1st splits.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

42 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If you trade him, it's the same as cutting him. All the guaranteed money accelerates to the current year, pending June 1st splits.

Edit: misread 

Edited by Isherwood

44 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

So, if my math is correct, and there is a chance it isn't. A trade of Rodgers would net GB about 19.5 million this year and 19.5 next year compared to his currently situation and he'd be off the books at the end of 2022. 

Put another way it makes our CURRENT cap status 39 Million to the positive between this year and next year. 

We would also eat a bit over 38 million in dead money. 

James Jones was on today saying (many times) how often he's spoken with AR and that it has nothing to do with Gute getting fired. The only (or prime) issue Jones mentioned was the "mistreatment of people" angle.

Its the release of end of their career players: Nelson, Cobb, Matthews - rather than "recognizing their contributions...." - and I dont know, I guess GB was supposed to either extend or offer new contracts. 

It's beyond silly that the QB is "holding out" (I actually dont consider this an actual hold out yet) - because players were released late in their career  -  or that HE should have some input on those decisions. 

I suspect, his (unstated) point is that he's moved up the list of players who could be moved - and he wants to be handled more...........humanely.....or something.

He should just come play - and ball out. Make moving on from him impossible because of his play.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Leader said:

He should just come play - and ball out. Make moving on from him impossible because of his play.

He just did that in 2020. Then he expected the FO to walk in and basically say through a contract extension "yup, we were wrong, turns out you're not declining so it was stupid to draft your replacement. We learned our lesson, here you go." When that didnt happen, this is now 12's response. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

He just did that in 2020. Then he expected the FO to walk in and basically say through a contract extension "yup, we were wrong, turns out you're not declining so it was stupid to draft your replacement. We learned our lesson, here you go." When that didnt happen, this is now 12's response. 

Extension? He's got three years left on his deal as it is. How long are they supposed to commit to him? He's been the top paid QB on two separate contracts. 

I have to respectfully disagree. If we're all being honest, his play the 3-4 years prior to last year was the looks of a player in decline. 

He's sort of grasping at straws if you ask me. He's upset we drafted a QB in the first round. 

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Fine. He balled out in 2020 and expected the rest of his contract didnt matter?

Can you imagine if other players took similar stances?

"I realize I'm under contract for a few more years....but I'm not reporting unless you sweeten my deal"

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Extension? He's got three years left on his deal as it is. How long are they supposed to commit to him? He's been the top paid QB on two separate contracts. 

I have to respectfully disagree. If we're all being honest, his play the 3-4 years prior to last year was the looks of a player in decline. 

He's sort of grasping at straws if you ask me. He's upset we drafted a QB in the first round. 

Two things. One, I'm not saying I agree with him, I'm just saying that's what he wants or expected.

Two, the whole "he has 3 years left on his deal" is misleading. It's basically a 1 year deal and then "we'll see" meaning the Packers have the financial positioning to get out after 2021. Rodgers obviously knows this. The extension isnt about money, it's about security. 

In the words of Michael Corleone, Rodgers wants a "guarantee."

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

"I realize I'm under contract for a few more years....but I'm not reporting unless you sweeten my deal"

This literally happens all the time. It’s basically why every hold out happens. Super common. 

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

Is it really unfair though? When we signed Aaron Jones to a backloaded deal purposefully designed to give us the ability to cut him after 2 years, does that mean GB should have to honor all 4 years if Jones plays well when his cap hit goes way up? Of course not. It's a 2 way street. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Siman08/OH said:

This literally happens all the time. It’s basically why every hold out happens. Super common. 

How super common is it for players to hold out - but not once mention its about the contract.

Rather - its because end of the roster players that got release - or - end of their career friends got released - or - the QB coach (they were supposedly so close to) not being offered another contract because he'd talked about retiring for the previous year (and not once mentioning it to their good buddy the QB) - or - the "people culture" of the organization.

That happen a lot does it? Guess I've got to watch different channels on TV.

This is the "tell" that it's about AR's image and legacy. He doesnt want it to look like its about the money - he just happens to have the highest cap hit of any NFL player this year - hence - we get this laundry list of superfluous reasons.

Hence - my contention that AR has to come clean. Right now, he's using social media voices to "create" his demands list. Be a stand up guy. State your case - publicly. I dont think he's got the balls frankly.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1