Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

1 minute ago, Reaper said:

God I only hate a couple teams....The Colorado Avalanche and the New Jersey Devils.....How dare he is right..I am literrally at a loss for words right now. First this Rodgers crap and now the wings being compared to the Devils...I need a drink or 10.

We'll always have '95 baby. Always.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Moving on from a franchise QB before they become a shell of their former selves (which occurs with age) allows the Packers to maintain a playoff competitive team every year. This is good business, Murphy's job is to do good business. Gutey's job is as well. Mortgaging the future to negligibly increasing the probability of superbowl victory in exchange for a decade of bad football (which comes because you can't afford to re-sign the core players you need to when you overpay a QB who is no longer elite) is bad business... which is why this is a bad take. 

Good take.  Seriously. I just don't want to just stay competitive . We have had a qb good enough to win more than 1 SB. Who is to say that we won't find another good qb for the next 20 yrs .

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I get this from both sides. The Packers thought they could get cute and draft their next franchise QB well before their current one expressed his desire to stop playing and thought they could somehow keep everyone happy. It was a stupid miscalculation. To me, when it turns out you've STILL got the MVP at the most important position and a championship caliber roster, you admit your mistake, trade the replacement who through no fault of his own started this chain reaction, and seize the chance to win now and commit to the player who gives you the best immediate chance to win. Love is the sunk cost. I don't fault the Packers for trying to avoid a dark period at QB. And I don't fault Rodgers for wanting the team to do everything it can to win now. The perfect plan didn't work. It didn't work because the current guy has a lot more left in the tank than they thought. Extend Rodgers and trade Love for whatever you can get.

Rodgers is already under contract for 3 more years.  Why would we want to extend him and trade away Love?  Makes no sense to me.  Rodgers doesn't seem to be the type of guy to hold out or demand a trade.  As long as he keeps playing at an MVP level he has nothing to worry about.  He'll be the starting QB for the Packers only way he isn't is if Love beats him out.  Agreed with getting a decent back up under Aaron as he has had his share of injuries.  Also possibly grooming his successor.  It wasn't cute it was smart.  I don't get this whole story especially blowing up hours before the draft.  Aaron doesn't seem the type to shy away from some competition.  I am really questioning this whole story.  Nothing I have ever heard and seen from Aaron Rodgers suggests that it is true.  He might be a little miffed but believe the media is blowing this all out of porportion.  We'll find out because if it is indeed true he won't be a Packer tomorrow.

I think the timing of this has more to do with Rodgers trying to get to SF.  He been whining for a month just about when the Niners made the trade for #3.  He knows once the Niners pick a QB at 3, his quest is over.  Thus the breaking story today.   

Rodgers doesn't want out of GB he wants to go to SF.  He knows this is his only opportunity to do that and after today, he has little control on where he goes.

After the draft Rodgers will return to the I love Green Bay mode.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I get this from both sides. The Packers thought they could get cute and draft their next franchise QB well before their current one expressed his desire to stop playing and thought they could somehow keep everyone happy. It was a stupid miscalculation. To me, when it turns out you've STILL got the MVP at the most important position and a championship caliber roster, you admit your mistake, trade the replacement who through no fault of his own started this chain reaction, and seize the chance to win now and commit to the player who gives you the best immediate chance to win. Love is the sunk cost. I don't fault the Packers for trying to avoid a dark period at QB. And I don't fault Rodgers for wanting the team to do everything it can to win now. The perfect plan didn't work. It didn't work because the current guy has a lot more left in the tank than they thought. Extend Rodgers and trade Love for whatever you can get.

By refusing to restructure in an "off" year to maximize SB chances, Rodgers dug his own grave here IMO.

His actions CLEARLY indicate he is not willing to go "all-in" himself. He is the sunk cost. We aren't winning a championship with him and his contract going forward.

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I think the timing of this has more to do with Rodgers trying to get to SF.  He been whining for a month just about when the Niners made the trade for #3.  He knows once the Niners pick a QB at 3, his quest is over.  Thus the breaking story today.   

Rodgers doesn't want out of GB he wants to go to SF.  He knows this is his only opportunity to do that and after today, he has little control on where he goes.

After the draft Rodgers will return to the I love Green Bay mode.

I think that's crap. Rodgers bought in to Wisconsin more than I would have expected

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Rodgers is already under contract for 3 more years.  Why would we want to extend him and trade away Love?  Makes no sense to me. 

Though he's under contract thru 2023 - the team can walk from him after this year with minimal penalty. If the team wants some of his cash to free up their tight cap situation - he wants guarantees for his future.

If they trade him, I really want 1st round picks three years from now. Like get the third, and then make them cough up three firsts in 2025/2026/2027 when they suck. Double first round picks for life (especially if one ends up being top 5 at one point). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Rodgers is already under contract for 3 more years. 

We all know how NFL contracts work by now. In NFL contract reality, Rodgers has one year left on his deal.  He wanted a real extension, the Packers balked, then they came to their senses and realized they might have to give in to his demands once he asked out, and now they need to suck it up and go over the top to bring him back on board. They overplayed their hand. Now it's damage control time.

9 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

If Rodgers does want to be traded, it is funny that the Packers can say no one is reaching out for Rodgers, even if teams are.

Gute:  The only team we have heard from is the Toronto Argonauts. 

Mike Florio:  Packers trade Rodgers for the rights to Rocket Ismail.  Green Bay finally gets their WR.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mtsportsfan1 said:

How is this a bad take , I'm open to hearing what you think is a good take. 

That none of this is probably anywhere near as bad as it's been made out to be in the last 3 flipping hours

• Like 2