Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Two things. One, I'm not saying I agree with him, I'm just saying that's what he wants or expected.

Two, the whole "he has 3 years left on his deal" is misleading. It's basically a 1 year deal and then "we'll see" meaning the Packers have the financial positioning to get out after 2021. Rodgers obviously knows this. The extension isnt about money, it's about security. 

In the words of Michael Corleone, Rodgers wants a "guarantee."

Thanks! I didn't mean to say you were agreeing with him. 

He got a whole lot of money upfront on this deal. If it's just about how much Rodgers can get guaranteed, then quit pretending it's about 'the people' and going, 'all in' for a Super Bowl. 

I'm personally losing respect for Rodgers the more this goes on and the more that comes out. I'm sure Aaron won't lose any sleep over that though. 😄

Edited by Old Guy

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Is it really unfair though? When we signed Aaron Jones to a backloaded deal purposefully designed to give us the ability to cut him after 2 years, does that mean GB should have to honor all 4 years if Jones plays well when his cap hit goes way up? Of course not. It's a 2 way street. 

Then the player should say so. He should say he wants a reworked contract with greater guarantees - or whatever.

Unless I've missed it, ARs not done that. He's left everybody twisting in the wind. I think he enjoys the attention. 

Nothing has changed, it’s still just a matter of his majesty Ol Rodg not wanting to honor his signature after the Packers two different times made him the highest paid QB in the NFL and have paid him mountains of money.  They are willing to continue to pay him, mountains of money.  He owes us 3 seasons in return.  He wants to instead bury the team in a guaranteed money long term deal which will leave us with disaster laden future dead money.  He is a 38 to be player who no doubt is beginning to decline and has led us to a 1-4 NFC Championship record going 1-7 in playoff games when behind at the half to boot.  The moves the team made his majesty apparently is not happy about were the right moves.  Players in their situations at the time.  Nelson, Cobb, Matthews, Kumerow, Hawk, Graham etc etc?  Play or retire, Rodg.  Maybe Hollyweird needs you more than the NFL does.

Edited by 15412
  • Like 1

FWIW, I do agree with Jones that a deep rooted seed in the animosity between Rodgers and Gute is the way Nelson left. Rodgers loved the guy and they could finish each others sentences on the field. When word broke that Nelson basically would have played for nothing and Gute never even tried to retain him...that probably didn't sit well.  I think it brewed from there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

FWIW, I do agree with Jones that a deep rooted seed in the animosity between Rodgers and Gute is the way Nelson left. Rodgers loved the guy and they could finish each others sentences on the field. When word broke that Nelson basically would have played for nothing and Gute never even tried to retain him...that probably didn't sit well.  I think it brewed from there.

Too bad.

You dont hold the entire organization hostage because of it. Not warranted or acceptable. As Nagler says: This is business. Not business friends.

Edited by Leader

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Too bad.

You dont hold the entire organization hostage because of it. Not warranted or acceptable. As Nagler says: This is business. Not business friends.

Well this is part of the business too. When you piss off your superstars sometimes it bites you in the ***.

That being said, I'm still confident this all ends with 12 under center.

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Well this is part of the business too. When you piss off your superstars sometimes it bites you in the ***.

Again - the reality of this situation is that its a CONTRACT MATTER.

AR's letting all these bogus "reasons" fly around because it obviates the obvious. It's about the contract of the highest paid player in the NFL - which doesnt look as good as AR sticking up for "the people".

It's BS.

And....from a personal standpoint, I think AR somewhat spineless to create this whole thing and let if fester because he cant / wont come clean with the public. Its a character flaw IMO.

Edited by Leader

The thing that doesn't sit well with me is that if it's about the way that Nelson, Kumerow, Cobb, etc... were "treated" on the "way out", then he'll be sorely disappointed when he looks around at.....any...other NFL team. Every single team has cut or traded a player like Jordy near the end of their careers in the time that Aaron Rodgers has been in the NFL. Some have actually mistreated their players. The media states that not consulting the QB about cutting Jake freaking Kumerow is some kind of slight, and too many casuals credulously agree with it. Every single team cuts a dozen players like Kumerow every year. It's madness. The Brady Bucs are one of the only teams that would sign an over-the-hill player just to stroke their QB off and unfortunately for all of us they had to win the Super Bowl and make it look like it's a good idea. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

The thing that doesn't sit well with me is that if it's about the way that Nelson, Kumerow, Cobb, etc... were "treated" on the "way out", then he'll be sorely disappointed when he looks around at.....any...other NFL team. Every single team has cut or traded a player like Jordy near the end of their careers in the time that Aaron Rodgers has been in the NFL. Some have actually mistreated their players. The media states that not consulting the QB about cutting Jake freaking Kumerow is some kind of slight, and too many casuals credulously agree with it. Every single team cuts a dozen players like Kumerow every year. It's madness. The Brady Bucs are one of the only teams that would sign an over-the-hill player just to stroke their QB off and unfortunately for all of us they had to win the Super Bowl and make it look like it's a good idea. 

This.

Rodgers is probably a borderline narcissist and conflates someone else acting in THEIR best interest (Gute drafting future QB) as a personal slight because of his ego. It takes guys like that years sometimes to recognize it's just a business.

I'm sure Manning was butthurt about Luck but he had the decency to make statements demonstrating his understanding of that side of it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

AR's letting all these bogus "reasons" fly around because it obviates the obvious. It's about the contract of the highest paid player in the NFL - which doesnt look as good as AR sticking up for "the people".

It would behoove Rodgers to squelch the "Gute said he would trade me after last season" rumor....What professional with an agent gets involved in an unsigned agreement?....Even if false, it makes Rodgers look naive when it comes to the way things of such magnitude would normally be handled....Further add, how long would the Packer's FO retain Gutekunst if they thought Rodgers had something as damning as such, to which he could than hold over the Packer's organization?....

5 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

It would behoove Rodgers to squelch the "Gute said he would trade me after last season" rumor....

I'd not heard that one.....but dont believe one bit of it. Gute's not close to being that stupid.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

NFL on ESPN -  "They know that if he's not back, that they would be one of the worse teams in football."

Adam Schefter with a bold statement on what the Packers would be without Aaron Rodgers.

That makes it sound like the rest of our roster is in the hamper, which I don't think is true at all. I do think we might end up having a tanking of a season if AR12 holds out, on a morale basis. I think it'd be tough to be successful with the cloud hanging of the season, especially when we were essentially loaded up to run it all back. 

Why even care what Schefter/ESPN think? They prove every year they don't know **** about anything lol. The entire nationwide sports coverage has gone nothing but "for the clicks" and "shock jock" nonsense. There's a reason I haven't turned ESPN on for non-game stuff in almost a year.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

NFL on ESPN -  "They know that if he's not back, that they would be one of the worse teams in football."

Adam Schefter with a bold statement on what the Packers would be without Aaron Rodgers.

"One of the worse teams in football", sure. The team that had more Pro Bowl players than any team in football last season. The team that still has 7 players, as many as any other team, on CBS.com top 100 players for the 2021 season which didn't even include Amos who was the 2nd ranked S in all of football last season. The team that PFF ranks as the 4th best roster for 2021, yet they will be "one of the worse teams in football". Everyone has turned into a troll by the year 2021.