Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

As the saying goes, 'if everybody were jumping off a bridge to their death would you do it too?' Point being, neither team is under any obligation to do anything with either players contract. 

The most disingenuous thing he's spoken about is referencing the team not doing enough to win now. If that were his TOP concern he wouldn't be signing the most lucrative deal when time comes up. You can't have it both ways. Brady playing for 20 million less a year than the other top QB's gave NE a competitive advantage. 

Let's not kid ourselves here, what Aaron really wants is for Green Bay to turn his remaining salary into guaranteed money, giving him long-term security. Which means he's become pretty insecure about his long-term future in GB. Win another MVP, you'll be the QB in 2022. Play like you did in 17-18-19 and it will be Jordan Love's team. Pretty simple! 

It's a performance based business. Like most of the world tbh. 

I don't think it's in any QBs best interest to compare or model contract and results from a Brady-like contract when he signs contracts that are half the market rate. That is the execption and not the norm. 

And no AR should not need to compare himself to "performance-based like the rest of the world", since he is top 2/3 in the world. There is a different set of rules for Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates for example compared to Billy Bob on the corner. 

Edited by CriminalMind
Posted (edited)

1. 12 will be back

2. he’s mad about Jordy and Whitewater Jesus 

3. Love JJ but all those guys sucked after they left GB, save Hyde.

4. Cowherd is a clown. 

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 2
33 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I don't think it's in any QBs best interest to compare or model contract and results from a Brady-like contract when he signs contracts that are half the market rate. That is the execption and not the norm. 

And no AR should not need to compare himself to "performance-based like the rest of the world", since he is top 2/3 in the world. There is a different set of rules for Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates for example compared to Billy Bob on the corner. 

I'm not really sure where you are going. The fact is NE was at an advantage because their QB played for less. I don't think that point is in dispute. 

The other fact is other teams who have QB's on top $ contracts, to include Green Bay, are at a competitive disadvantage regarding the acquisition of talent based on this. Nobody is saying Aaron should play for less. If his top desire is to win championships, then it is in his best interest to play for less so GB can acquire that additional player or two. 

As long as he's a player and not the GM or Coach, he should stay in his lane and do his job. Just my opinion of course. 

Have a great day! 

13 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm not really sure where you are going. The fact is NE was at an advantage because their QB played for less. I don't think that point is in dispute. 

The other fact is other teams who have QB's on top $ contracts, to include Green Bay, are at a competitive disadvantage regarding the acquisition of talent based on this. Nobody is saying Aaron should play for less. If his top desire is to win championships, then it is in his best interest to play for less so GB can acquire that additional player or two. 

As long as he's a player and not the GM or Coach, he should stay in his lane and do his job. Just my opinion of course. 

Have a great day! 

So it seems the analysis says to trade him (and maybe 80% of QB making more than Brady) and that AR possibly should have been traded a few years ago, to avoid being at a "competitive disadvantage".

16 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

So it seems the analysis says to trade him (and maybe 80% of QB making more than Brady) and that AR possibly should have been traded a few years ago, to avoid being at a "competitive disadvantage".

I do believe the stats would bear that out if you want to win a Super Bowl. I believe the stat is no QB has won a Super Bowl making 14% or more of a team's cap. It may be 15 or 16% so don't quote me on the exact number. 

Rodgers near 20 is a non-starter. Especially the way he play for several years prior to 2020. He has to play at an MVP level when he's taking up that share of the cap for us to get close to a Super Bowl. 

"It's not about who you're bringing in ... what [Rodgers wants is] a little input on is who you're letting out of the building."

James Jones

Just now, Leader said:

"It's not about who you're bringing in ... what [Rodgers wants is] a little input on is who you're letting out of the building."

James Jones

NOT his job! If he wants to be a talent evaluator and capologist, then retire and concentrate on that. It's the same reason coaches are no longer the GM any longer. It doesn't work.

• Like 1

He has to play at an MVP level throughout the post season to begin to justify a salary percentile close to the present.  He's about to be 38 years old, if you're going to give him an extension with guaranteed money that cornholes the team he had better be worth it throughout that very contract.  Not just right now.  On top of it all.

Make him decide.  Play, or retire.  

At the same time the team needs to at least explore the idea of trading him.  They need to know what that option gives them and they wouldn't be doing the due diligence if they don't.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, 15412 said:

He has to play at an MVP level throughout the post season to begin to justify a salary percentile close to the present.  He's about to be 38 years old, if you're going to give him an extension with guaranteed money that cornholes the team he had better be worth it throughout that very contract.  Not just right now.  On top of it all.

Make him decide.  Play, or retire.  

At the same time the team needs to at least explore the idea of trading him.  They need to know what that option gives them and they wouldn't be doing the due diligence if they don't.

Sadly, no he doesn't have to play at a MVP level. His salary is basically what it costs to renew a top QB. Teams would line up and trade for his contract.

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 1
57 minutes ago, Leader said:

James Jones

i actually don't think rodgers realizes how stupid he sounds about this "issue". 

sad!

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i actually don't think rodgers realizes how stupid he sounds about this "issue".

I agree and have said I think he'd come off more authentic / genuine if he'd simply declare his want: (Presumably....) greater guarantees in the remainder of his contract - or an extension.

Something people can quantify. Relate to, understand and see a path towards resolution - or not.

Context. Actual context.

Edited by Leader
4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

sad!

I don't think Rodgers realizes he's playing right into the Packers hands IRT moving on from him after the 2021 season. The more he sits home and let's Love get all the QB1 burn, the more comfortable the Packers are going to get in that decision. He's only hurting himself by not being here.

• Like 2

None of us know what exact issues Rodgers has or his intentions.  I believe Rodgers really doesn't care about what's going on at mini-camp.  It's mini-camp.  He might miss his friends, his mates, but that's a socializing thing.

Training camp is what looms.  

It is imperative that the team does nothing to lock us long term in guaranteed money with this 38 year old to be when he is already costing us approx 20% of team salary.  We've got enough dead money to deal with as it is, we don't need it tripled down the road with an aging and declining QB.  He's sure not going to give us the Brady deal in his old age, nor the Brady post season wins is my bet.

23 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I don't think Rodgers realizes he's playing right into the Packers hands IRT moving on from him after the 2021 season. The more he sits home and let's Love get all the QB1 burn, the more comfortable the Packers are going to get in that decision. He's only hurting himself by not being here.

Two things

1. This assumes Love shows the progress to give the Packers that confidence. By all accounts it appears the arrow is still pointing up, but what if Love takes all the reps and it makes the Pack uneasy on what they got?--This would be more favorable to Rodgers then, in some regards

2. Rodgers is entrenched as the starter when/if he comes back this year, so it doesnt hurt him this year. If it hurts his chances of staying beyond this season, Rodgers probably doesnt care about that because if there is any truth to the rumor he wants to be traded now then in a year he would welcome a trade too. 

2 minutes ago, rbens06 said:

1. This assumes Love shows the progress to give the Packers that confidence. By all accounts it appears the arrow is still pointing up, but what if Love takes all the reps and it makes the Pack uneasy on what they got?--This would be more favorable to Rodgers then, in some regards

Perhaps Love disappoints but you're talking to the man who drove the Love train all last year, even before we took him. So, there, you're barking up the wrong tree. Love, getting QB1 reps, is only going to trend upwards. That's not good for Aaron.

3 minutes ago, rbens06 said:

2. Rodgers is entrenched as the starter when/if he comes back this year, so it doesnt hurt him this year. If it hurts his chances of staying beyond this season, Rodgers probably doesnt care about that because if there is any truth to the rumor he wants to be traded now then in a year he would welcome a trade too. 

Rodgers has never requested a trade. That's never come off his lips nor has it been the indication that he wants traded NOW. He wants security from us. He knows we're his best chance at another ring. He's not stupid.