Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

2 minutes ago, spilltray said:

It is absolutely seeing the team make consistent proactive decisions to move on from players at the end of their career before they are willing to make that choice. It's a problem now because he knows he might be next. Seriously since Thompson the only guy they really held onto too long was Donald Driver. Favre, Wahle, Rivera, Bulaga, Linsley, Matthews, Nelson, the list keeps going, it's how the Packers have done things his whole career, it's just an issue now because it's him on the line.

The reality is this isn't just the Packers who do this. All smart organizations get out of players in decline looking for bigger paydays. There is always a team, desperate for a position who will pay them. Doesn't make them right and us wrong or vice versa. 

It's business! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

4th, 5th, 6th, 7th .... seriously, it's so far down the wr line if it bothered Rodgers so much that's just goofy and petty.  

That's fine. My point is simply that the narrative that Rodgers was stumping for some No. 6-7 WR isn't accurate. Rodgers viewed Kumerow as a guy who would be contributing on offense, in the mix with other guys not named Davante. In fact, his support behind Kumerow wasn't much different than the support he put behind Lazard, which eventually helped him break into the lineup. 

If people don't agree with Rodgers' support of Kumerow as a contributing WR, that's another matter. But we are talking about 12's actions so it's important to know what his mindset was at the time. 

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

YES!!!!

As soon as you start the practice that he should be consulted on these moves, he's going to be madder than before when the GM listens to the ST coach over him. That's how narcissists are.

Caveat: I don't believe Kumerow's release mattered at all. This is still about the money, but if we're going to have this conversation under these assumptions . . . 

The fact that Jake ******* Kumerow getting released has any bearing at all on his mindset is just pants-on-head idiotic. Jake Kumerow had 1 reception in his 28 year old season last year. This is completely insane behavior. That nobody in the media isn't laughing in his face about this is problematic. 

Again, I think the "Rodgers is furious about Jake Kumerow" holds about as much truth as the "He's demanding Gute be fired" mantra out there. We have to keep reminding ourselves that 90% of the **** being put out there by Schefty and Co. is straight BS. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Norm said:

Yeah that's why we kept Malik Turner and why he made that pro bowl at ST lol

I'm kidding around, I think both him and Jake are terrible

That was kind of my point.  They were both terrible, so yah might as well take the guy that your QB likes.

The flip side is that Kumerow was a "known" terrible player.  Taylor was an "unknown" terrible player.  So, we rolled the dice and it really didn't work.

I'd say 100% to take the guy that your QB likes as your last WR, but.....at one time Driver was a 7'th round pick and an "unknown terrible" player that we took a flier on.  And it worked out.

So I won't sweat it, either way.  

The only other thing I'll say about Rodgers/Kumerow is that Rodgers is the smartest person in the room.  By him speaking on Kumerow's behalf, then seeing him cut shows the media that he is not in fact the smartest guy in the room.  And that's the rub.  I think it is more about Rodger's ego then it was Kumerow.  He could have said any other player's name and had they been cut, it would have been just as big a deal.  We overemphasize it because, well, he's Kumerow and he is a God.

• Like 1

Just throwing this out there....

I was coming into work today and listening to Sirius XM, NFL channel.  My two least favorite guys were on there.  Solomon Wilcox and Ed McCaffrey.  Side note....I refer to them as Slobbering Wilcox and Drunk Eddie.  (Think Cousin Eddie from Christmas Vacation.)

Drunk Eddie starts rambling and Slobbering Wilcox is agreeing with him...about Rodgers and Love.  Eddie says that Love has been in GB for two years and it is time for him to step up and play better in practice.  Two years.  Slobbering Wilcox agrees, says it is time.  You would think a producer would whisper into their earpieces that Love is a second year player, been in the league for only one year, with no OTA's or TC.  But no, the ramble from Drunk Eddie continues.

He comes up with a plan to "fix" the Rodgers situation.  It is simple.  Bring Rodgers into the Board Room where the real power lies in GB.  Absent from the room would be MM, Gute, Ball and MLF.  The Board should apologize to Rodgers for not telling Rodgers they were drafting Love.  The Board should ask him what needs to be done to bring him back to the club, then do it.  Whether that is a front office shake up and/or new contract, give it to him.  The club should do this because the GB roster is pretty bad behind Rodgers.

Slobbering Wilcox agrees with all of this.

I love the NFL Channel on Sirius XM, but I think I need to change that to mean I love listing to Pat Kirwan on Sirius XM.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just throwing this out there....

I was coming into work today and listening to Sirius XM, NFL channel.  My two least favorite guys were on there.  Solomon Wilcox and Ed McCaffrey.  Side note....I refer to them as Slobbering Wilcox and Drunk Eddie.  (Think Cousin Eddie from Christmas Vacation.)

Drunk Eddie starts rambling and Slobbering Wilcox is agreeing with him...about Rodgers and Love.  Eddie says that Love has been in GB for two years and it is time for him to step up and play better in practice.  Two years.  Slobbering Wilcox agrees, says it is time.  You would think a producer would whisper into their earpieces that Love is a second year player, been in the league for only one year, with no OTA's or TC.  But no, the ramble from Drunk Eddie continues.

He comes up with a plan to "fix" the Rodgers situation.  It is simple.  Bring Rodgers into the Board Room where the real power lies in GB.  Absent from the room would be MM, Gute, Ball and MLF.  The Board should apologize to Rodgers for not telling Rodgers they were drafting Love.  The Board should ask him what needs to be done to bring him back to the club, then do it.  Whether that is a front office shake up and/or new contract, give it to him.  The club should do this because the GB roster is pretty bad behind Rodgers.

Slobbering Wilcox agrees with all of this.

I love the NFL Channel on Sirius XM, but I think I need to change that to mean I love listing to Pat Kirwan on Sirius XM.

And this is why they are radio broadcasters and not NFL management people.  What a CLUELESS response.  Even Kirwan (who I do like) yesterday was ragging on Love because he gave a confident answer to a question about whether or not he would be being ready to be the starting quarterback of the Packers in September if Rodgers did not come back ("100% Yes"). 

My goodness these guys like to lick Rodgers ***.  Its why Rodgers ego is so out of line.  Stop feeding the animals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Again, I think the "Rodgers is furious about Jake Kumerow" holds about as much truth as the "He's demanding Gute be fired" mantra out there. We have to keep reminding ourselves that 90% of the **** being put out there by Schefty and Co. is straight BS. 

Agree, this is about Rodgers job security going forward.    

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

And this is why they are radio broadcasters and not NFL management people.  What a CLUELESS response.  Even Kirwan (who I do like) yesterday was ragging on Love because he gave a confident answer to a question about whether or not he would be being ready to be the starting quarterback of the Packers in September if Rodgers did not come back ("100% Yes"). 

My goodness these guys like to lick Rodgers ***.  Its why Rodgers ego is so out of line.  Stop feeding the animals.

Amen. I know these guys are paid to have interesting opinions, but it'd be nice if they at least operated in the real world

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Yea, I dumped that channel a while back. Couldn’t stand listening to Jim Miller, who had similar stupidity to these 2, though maybe less pronounced. Kirwan was the one saving grace, but I couldn’t stomach the rest of them. 

I think it is a common problem in sports media, which features plenty of ex-players, and a handful of ex-coaches, but almost no ex-gm’s. There is a severe shortage of people on the air who have a working knowledge of the salary cap, which is critical to any team-building conversation. Guys might pay it lip-service on a conceptual level, but you can tell their awareness is pretty shallow by the comments they make. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Yea, I dumped that channel a while back. Couldn’t stand listening to Jim Miller, who had similar stupidity to these 2, though maybe less pronounced. Kirwan was the one saving grace, but I couldn’t stomach the rest of them. 

I think it is a common problem in sports media, which features plenty of ex-players, and a handful of ex-coaches, but almost no ex-gm’s. There is a severe shortage of people on the air who have a working knowledge of the salary cap, which is critical to any team-building conversation. Guys might pay it lip-service on a conceptual level, but you can tell their awareness is pretty shallow by the comments they make. 

I can handle Miller when he is with Kirwan.  But not if he is with someone else.

And the more that I think about it, the only other one I really like is Bruce Gradkowski.  He's likable and knowledgeable.

Used to be Ross Tucker in the morning and he was really good.  Now I don't know what time he is on.  But he was a good one, too.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

That's fine. My point is simply that the narrative that Rodgers was stumping for some No. 6-7 WR isn't accurate. Rodgers viewed Kumerow as a guy who would be contributing on offense, in the mix with other guys not named Davante. In fact, his support behind Kumerow wasn't much different than the support he put behind Lazard, which eventually helped him break into the lineup. 

If people don't agree with Rodgers' support of Kumerow as a contributing WR, that's another matter. But we are talking about 12's actions so it's important to know what his mindset was at the time. 

Rodgers has had 3 strong takes at WR in recent years:

Nelson, Kumerow, and Fuller.

He's been wrong on all 3. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

The reality is this isn't just the Packers who do this. All smart organizations get out of players in decline looking for bigger paydays. There is always a team, desperate for a position who will pay them. Doesn't make them right and us wrong or vice versa. 

It's business! 

Yes and I definitely think the vast majority of the time it's the smart football move and what has kept the Packers competitive. It's exactly the reason you don't ask Rodgers for input on roster moves and also why most coach/gm dual role guys struggle. 

The point is the only reason it's a problem now is that Rodgers realizes they'd do it to him too, and wants to force his way out now if they won't make a financial commitment to him long term.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't remember him ever saying anything publicly about acquiring Fuller. Moreover, the fact that Fuller tested positive for PEDs is an irrelevant hindsight fact. Yea, it turned out well that we didn't get him, but unless the Packers magically knew that was coming, it's irrelevant to the decision to pass on him. 

I keep seeing people say Rodgers was wrong about Nelson...how so? You're telling me Nelson in 2018 would not have been better than Moore/MVS/St. Brown? How about Graham who we just dumped $30m into that off-season? That's laughable. No one is saying lock up Jordy to another big deal. The report was that the guy wanted to basically sign for anything and Gute snubbed his nose at it. The only reason why this isn't talked about more is because we sucked in 2018 anyways. 

Also, what's "wrong" about Kumerow? Are you saying it was justified in letting him go because he didn't go on and succeed elsewhere? I mean...that's the NFL man. Say the Packers cut St. Brown that year instead of Kumerow. You think St. Brown would be doing much of anything elsewhere? Look at Allison who has faded away into nothingness since he left. Hell, you could probably even make the same argument about Lazard. Rodgers has been propping up WRs into more than what they are for a while now...

You forgot that Rodgers, after the draft on McAfee show, specifically mentioned Tee Higgins as a guy he liked at the end of the 1st round. Higgins ended up having a pretty solid rookie season in Cincy. So maybe he was right about at least 1 WR...

The bottom-line to this entire debate is, yea, I don't think Gute needs to or should consult with 12 about which ILBs or DL he's going to sign. But the WR-QB relationship is maybe the most dependent relationship in the NFL. Saying that you wouldn't want your veteran HOF QB's input on personnel and fits at WR is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. 

• Like 3

I think we've enough proof that its probably best AR stop giving interviews wherein he discusses personnel moves - if - his nose is gonna get bent out of shape when the team doesnt agree / make the move / or is unable to make the move.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You are forgetting Lazard.  Right on 1 of 4 counts.

Edited by vegas492