Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

Just now, Norm said:

That none of this is probably anywhere near as bad as it's been made out to be in the last 3 flipping hours

This is exactly what I think. The media sensationalizing is just good publicity for them and creates more drama around the draft.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Though he's under contract thru 2023 - the team can walk from him after this year with minimal penalty. If the team wants some of his cash to free up their tight cap situation - he wants guarantees for his future.

Rodgers is fully entitled to ask for guarantees before extending/restructuring - no issues with him on that at all. 

If he refuses to play under his contract then I will permanently lose respect for him. 

Its reasonable for Packers to want to keep their options open but they can't expect Rodgers to agree to something more cap friendly if they want the option of moving on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm not assuming anything. The are hordes of Packers fans offering Jordan Love as a sacrifice to the football gods right now to appease Aaron.

My point has nothing to do with Aaron, but us as a fan base. Aaron is not more important than the franchise. Lots of us chose Favre over the Packers in 2008.

Hell, if CURLY LAMBEAU wasn't more important than the franchise back in the 40s, Rodgers sure isn't now. 

14 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

By refusing to restructure in an "off" year to maximize SB chances, Rodgers dug his own grave here IMO. His actions CLEARLY indicate he is not willing to go "all-in" himself. He is the sunk cost. We aren't winning a championship with him and his contract going forward.

Cant be sure its AR thats dragging his feet. The team may not be willing to offer guarantees into the future...and frankly, outside the need for some pocket change to make life easier - they dont have to. They have the guy on the dotted line and as time goes on ... though his contract goes up a small amount in 2022 - the cap will return to normal as well - so that will alleviate some of the crunch. 

I expect the plan is to assess matters after this season and trade him then if his market is still strong. I guess.

Edited by Leader

I’m going to be 100% honest here, I don’t give af if we trade Aaron Rodgers today. If he doesn’t want to be here, move on from him and let the Love era begin - His value will never be as high as it is right now. Make the move if that’s what he wants. Love the guy but at the end of the day if he doesn’t want to be here, then he doesn’t want to be here and in gute we gotta trust! 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I think the timing of this has more to do with Rodgers trying to get to SF.  He been whining for a month just about when the Niners made the trade for #3.  He knows once the Niners pick a QB at 3, his quest is over.  Thus the breaking story today.   

Rodgers doesn't want out of GB he wants to go to SF.  He knows this is his only opportunity to do that and after today, he has little control on where he goes.

After the draft Rodgers will return to the I love Green Bay mode.

Regardless of anything Packers shouldn't be entertaining a trade before the draft. Not time or place - need to concentrate on the draft.

That should be the response to him. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

We all know how NFL contracts work by now. In NFL contract reality, Rodgers has one year left on his deal.  He wanted a real extension, the Packers balked, then they came to their senses and realized they might have to give in to his demands once he asked out, and now they need to suck it up and go over the top to bring him back on board. They overplayed their hand. Now it's damage control time.

I still come back to if Aaron is playing at a MVP level he isn't going anywhere.  They aren't going to trade him if he's playing well.  Why would they?  Can't blame the Packers for hedging their bets and also providing insurance in case of injury.  Let's face it when Aaron leaves the Packers are going to suck.  They know it too.  Get they could trade him next year with a reduced cap hit but if plays like he did last year he's not going anywhere.  I still find it really hard to believe Aaron would hold out or demand a trade.  He's better than that.  Best thing Aaron can do is play well and keep Love on the bench. I still am in disbelief.