Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

Leader, I hope the team is looking at trading comps now verses next year or later if he takes a year off. What this thread hasn't looked at is his trend line. Understand last year was great, and the year before not bad. The years since the Seahawk debacle have been very mixed to average. HIS BEST DAYS ARE BEHIND HIM. Take the chicken s*** that they have been handled and get the best deal possible. Maybe you find a QB that can run MLF's offense and keep the team in contention while breaking in the multiple high draft picks and begin dominating teams. Green Bay's path to glory with Rodgers last a year or two, their path to glory with multiple draft picks, and a cap they can work with last a lot longer.

• Like 5

I don't care what anyone says, Pat McAfee's show is no different than the other ESPN/Fox Sports style gossip rags. He just hops around like a clown and lets people smoke cigars on the show. This is the exact stuff Rodgers went on his show every week and said they were different from the other guys about. 

https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1404479852095418372

• Like 2

On 6/13/2021 at 9:39 AM, Hands said:

Leader, I hope the team is looking at trading comps now verses next year or later if he takes a year off. What this thread hasn't looked at is his trend line. Understand last year was great, and the year before not bad. The years since the Seahawk debacle have been very mixed to average. HIS BEST DAYS ARE BEHIND HIM. Take the chicken s*** that they have been handled and get the best deal possible. Maybe you find a QB that can run MLF's offense and keep the team in contention while breaking in the multiple high draft picks and begin dominating teams. Green Bay's path to glory with Rodgers last a year or two, their path to glory with multiple draft picks, and a cap they can work with last a lot longer.

I think the Packers are doing what they can to get Rodgers back.  I trust the Packers FO in this ordeal.  In 2023, the Packers have to decide on Jordan Love's 5th year (has to be decided before his 4th year).  That is likely to be around $20 mill (IIRC).    The object is to buy some time for Love to develop with Rodgers playing in 2021 and also leave Love enough time to play in 2022 for the Packers to decide about the 5th year. 

According to Murphy the Packers have offered Rodgers to be "The starter for 2021 and Beyond"  what does "and beyond" mean for Jordan Love?   Looks to me like the Packers are cutting into their Jordan Love actual playing time before having to decide on the 5th year.  Thats a pretty big sacrifice IMO, probably not for Rodgers though.

At this point, I think the Packers are really trying to make this work.  However if Rodgers isnt willing to cooperate, he needs to go.   When depends on Loves development and the deal you can get.

Is the deal better this summer with limited teams, or waiting until the offseason where teams can prepare offers and potential moves?  You also have to weigh the risk of another Rodgers injury, concussion, collarbone this season and what that does to his value.   

Edited by NFLGURU

Rodg has whined about culture and character but in the end it is and always has been about money.  Guaranteed long term money.  Now he may have not liked how the FO office told him no, but in the end it is about the money.  The cash he can extract in a guaranteed fashion.  He being a 38 year old QB at the start of such a guaranteed money extension is the main consideration here.  In terms of a trade the team should do absolutely nothing to accommodate him, but I don't think they're doing due diligence if they don't know exactly what can be had in compensation.  In other words, having very private but open conversation among teams.  I can't imagine they haven't even listened.  A loaded trade could be very advantageous to the team and long term.

1 hour ago, 15412 said:

Rodg has whined about culture and character but in the end it is and always has been about money.  Guaranteed long term money.  Now he may have not liked how the FO office told him no, but in the end it is about the money.  The cash he can extract in a guaranteed fashion.  He being a 38 year old QB at the start of such a guaranteed money extension is the main consideration here.  In terms of a trade the team should do absolutely nothing to accommodate him, but I don't think they're doing due diligence if they don't know exactly what can be had in compensation.  In other words, having very private but open conversation among teams.  I can't imagine they haven't even listened.  A loaded trade could be very advantageous to the team and long term.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they haven't listened yet. Those things never remain confidential. I do think this is heading for disaster with no reconciliation forthcoming. 

They better get a truckload of player/picks combo or let him sit and retire. 

12 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they haven't listened yet. Those things never remain confidential. I do think this is heading for disaster with no reconciliation forthcoming. 

They better get a truckload of player/picks combo or let him sit and retire. 

I don't see retirement as an option unless he "retires" to keep from getting fined during training camp and then returns at week 13 to get credited for a season of play.  

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't see retirement as an option unless he "retires" to keep from getting fined during training camp and then returns at week 13 to get credited for a season of play.  

If he retired to avoid the fines - wouldnt he have to actually file papers with the league to make it official?
Otherwise, its nothing more than your average holdout - which is subject to the fines.  Then - wouldnt he have to petition the league for reinstatement?  Sounds kinda convoluted to me....can you think of a player that worked the system in a similar manner? 

Regardless, what would prevent the team from telling him the matter will be addressed in the off season and sending him home?

18 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't see him doing that.  To give up millions and then come in and sit on the bench is not something he would do.  I believe he either shows up day 1 of camp (after giving the FO a taste of their own medicine...hmpff!) or he retires at least for this year.  That's why it's foolish in my mind for the team to not entertain a loaded trade so that move can be made if necessary before camp.

Rodgers can save his legacy by coming to camp, and playing the season out.  If the Packers trade him thats on them as far as his post career legacy.  

If he comes in, whines and forces a trade, he takes a hit as far as his legacy goes.

Let the Packers be the bad guy.  15 years from now people will remember if you were forced out or you forced your way out of Green Bay.  It will matter to some.

1 hour ago, 15412 said:

I don't see him doing that.  To give up millions and then come in and sit on the bench is not something he would do.  I believe he either shows up day 1 of camp (after giving the FO a taste of their own medicine...hmpff!) or he retires at least for this year.  That's why it's foolish in my mind for the team to not entertain a loaded trade so that move can be made if necessary before camp.

If he retires for the year he gets stung for around 3 mil in fines and doesn't get credited for a season played.  If he wants to make things uncomfortable for the Packers temporarily retiring could be his move.  The Packers would have to decide how to handle that late in the season.    Not sure it's been done before, but according to a few sources out there it's a potential move Rodgers could make.  

I understand it's a move Rodg could make, I just don't believe he would do that for a number of reasons.  If he did, the team would have options they would employ.  He is one player, the team is far more important.  The franchise paramount.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Regardless, what would prevent the team from telling him the matter will be addressed in the off season and sending him home?

Sending him home with full season pay? Just checking if that's what you meant.  And if so, nope nothing is stopping that as its a viable option

8 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Sending him home with full season pay? Just checking if that's what you meant.  And if so, nope nothing is stopping that as its a viable option

I dont know the rules of how such a scenario would be handled - but - I find it a bit odd (and unlikely) that a player could declare (what amounts to be.....) a temporary retirement in order to avoid the fines associate with what is at its essence nothing more than a hold out.

Then - magically come out of retirement in Week 13 in order to claim his salary and get credit for the year.

I find that a bit odd and dont think the rules are such that a player could manipulate them quite that easily.

Then - if the team basically tells him (the obvious.......) that the seasons going on without him.....so, go sit in the stands or whatever you want to do. I mean, the team has to have some rights in the situation no?