Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

Have anything to add?   Didn't think so.  Maybe next time try to.

i was told I didnt understand things when I predicted the problems after the 2020 draft.  Maybe I just see things you arent able to see.

*citation needed*. Feel free to reference any predictions I ever made about the 2020 draft, instead of confusing me with other people. Rodgers deserves no absolution in this situation. 

15 hours ago, packfanfb said:

While I don't necessarily think it's the "only" reason for 12's absence, I have previously hammered this point and haven't seen a lot of media coverage on it until Acho's take here, but he hits the nail on the head. Rodgers didn't want to be at the off-season program anyways. That's why his absence up til now shouldn't surprise anyone. It's all about what happens when TC starts. 

Given that Murphy, Gute and MLF have come out and said they've made trips out west to try and rectify the situation. Pretty sure it's more than Rodgers not wanting to participate in the off season.

14 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Given that Murphy, Gute and MLF have come out and said they've made trips out west to try and rectify the situation. Pretty sure it's more than Rodgers not wanting to participate in the off season.

I agree, but missing the off-season is a bigger bonus for Rodgers than people have talked about. Another factor why he had absolutely no reason to "settle" this stand-off up to now. It's not like he's itching to get back. 

I'm subscribing to the idea that this entire "threat to sit out or retire drama" by Rodgers is simply his way to avoid being put on the Madden cover, and instead get Brady on there, therefore cursing him for this upcoming season. Genius if true.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, packfanfb said:

While I don't necessarily think it's the "only" reason for 12's absence, I have previously hammered this point and haven't seen a lot of media coverage on it until Acho's take here, but he hits the nail on the head. Rodgers didn't want to be at the off-season program anyways. That's why his absence up til now shouldn't surprise anyone. It's all about what happens when TC starts. 

Of all the theories that make me feel better about this whole thing, this is the most plausible to me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Of all the theories that make me feel better about this whole thing, this is the most plausible to me. 

Yeah, I think there's obviously a little more to it than this, but I would not be surprised if it were a big part of it. I also wouldn't be surprised if part of Rodgers' "you forgot it's about people" stuff is directed squarely at Murphy and maybe what he feels is a lack of support for his concerns with the NFLPA. If he felt like he was on the losing side of the union AND Murphy hasn't been supportive with AR12's vision for the offseason, I could see that being a sticking point. Maybe he thought GB could have been a pioneering org for changes to the offseason structure, given they don't have an owner and they're run by a former player CEO, and he felt spurned. This is just me speculating, but it wouldn't be surprising.

Along with the "don't be the problem" "I'm sick of the diva stuff" comments that may or may not have been made.

• Like 1

Bruhs (and pugger), it's just Rodgers being "Good Guy Aaron" and giving Jordan meaningful reps while he enjoys his personal life and summer. Jordan and Aaron had a personal conversation before the "holdout" and Love wouldn't talk about it (obviously). What was detailed in that convo was "Bro, I'm going to go to Hawai'i with my chick, you get some sick reps in and show em what you can do. Bros for life!" or whatever those gnarly California kids say to each other. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Bruhs (and pugger), it's just Rodgers being "Good Guy Aaron" and giving Jordan meaningful reps while he enjoys his personal life and summer. Jordan and Aaron had a personal conversation before the "holdout" and Love wouldn't talk about it (obviously). What was detailed in that convo was "Bro, I'm going to go to Hawai'i with my chick, you get some sick reps in and show em what you can do. Bros for life!" or whatever those gnarly California kids say to each other. 

I think there is a sprinkle of truth to this too, honestly. Not the whole story, but a side benefit that surely AR12 is cognizant of and they discussed 

I expected this story to continue to cool as June wore on. So far it's done nothing but get hotter and I don't know if that necessarily says a lot but it certainly doesn't say anything real good.

Edited by Rodjahs12

12 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I expected this story to continue to cool as June wore on. So far it's done nothing but get hotter and I don't know if that necessarily says a lot but it certainly doesn't say anything real good.

it says there is nothing else to talk about

• Like 1

Who was it that said this situation was fixable? James Jones?

Whoever it was, I put my thinking cap on and have concluded two things need to happen to make this fixable.

1. Fire Murphy
2. Contract extension with more guaranteed money

Neither is really possible, you can't fire your boss unless you held strong sway over the board of directors and a contract extension is massively complicated by our salary cap situation and of course there's Jordan Love.

If Murphy is forced out and a compromise is somehow reached with regards to Rodgers contract then the Packers have a shot at resolving this but the odds are unfortunately slim.

Now you're getting Jay Glazer saying Rodgers still wants out of GB which seems to me we're reaching a point where the longer this remains unsolved the likelier he will be traded.

You can look at how Rodgers agent handled the Carson Palmer trade but that was under the old CBA with different rules. According to some people here, under the new CBA he has to turn up to training camp to accrue a season. When you retire you have to pay back a portion of your signing bonus - that is a relatively new thing I believe and something Palmer didn't have against him. I could be wrong. If correct then that means in terms of leverage he is in a weaker position than Palmer.

If he retires he will have to pay back alot of money but if he can retire to force a trade to another team he can earn all that money back by signing a brand spanking new contract. After his MVP season I think Rodgers feels he can illicit a big contract elsewhere so the risk might be worth it for him.

Rodgers must've looked how the Packers handled the Favre situation and probably realised that if this scenario ever does unfolds that way then he would have to handle it very differently. Sure enough the Packers drafted Love and the clock started ticking. He and his agent probably put in alot of thought to this and have laid out a plan, a timeline with alot of plausible deniability built in to protect his brand and his standing within the Packers organisation if the plan doesn't work out. Of course that plan required him to put up one of his best ever seasons in order to maximise his leverage and sure enough he was able to do this.

The Packers obviously got a plan of their own, it seems clear to me,

1. Do nothing, Rodgers folds and returns to play for us this season at the very least. Trade him next year?
2. If he doesn't turn up to training camp, then to get maximum value in a trade the Packers need to make the trade at some point during training camp. It has to be done then because...
3. ...The Packers lose value if he retires before he is traded. Lets say he sits out the season and he decides to come back the Packers will have no room on their 2022 cap and will be desperate to get him off the cap, that desperation will cause the Packers to lose trade leverage. If a trade is not possible then they will have no choice but to cut him. Unthinkable.

Right now the Packers have all the leverage in terms of Rodgers contract, Rodgers financial penalty if he retires and how badly Rodgers wants to preserve his legacy. The last part, if Rodgers values $$$ over legacy and stats then we have no leverage there. As for the rest of the leverage the longer this goes on this same leverage will be used against the Packers as outlined in point 3.

Of course the Packers are banking on point 1 happening. We'll see.

If Rodgers doesn’t show for training camp, they’d be dumb to trade him. The longer his holdout lasts the less public opinion is on his side. If he’s traded at all this season GB loses bc the price of an MVP QB is invaluable. The price of a holdout QB with MVP upside is the best they can hope for - bc at that point public perception would be on their side.

Edited by deathstar

Just a random thought about Rodger's "I'm Offended" t-shirt.

Don't zoom/skype/webcam videos have the tendency to "flip" the image so if there was any text on them or behind them then the viewer watching the video the text would appear backwards.

Does that mean Rodgers specifically had a t-shirt that was written backwards just so that it would appear normal on the video?

If that's the case then Rodgers really went out of his way to submit his message,

Edited by Chili