Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

How is losing the league MVP, and losing your opportunity to make a Super Bowl run a win for the Packers?

You have thrown logic out the window.

It is a Lose/Lose for the Packers and Rodgers.

It's not ideal, but It does get you on the road to a new plan a year earlier.  The old plan hasn't exactly led to multiple super bowls.  Close four times in recent years, but 12 is yet to play out his *** when it really matters.  The only championship game win was against the great Caleb Haney and Rodgers stunk in that game as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I hate the drama as well, but I also hate the idea of sending Rodgers to a new team and then watching us lose draft pick value as he strings wins together.  A team like Denver's 1st round pick is currently around the top 10 .. send them Rodgers and it winds up around 24th or 25th.

Correct, but we could get a couple of nice players form them with draft picks. I think you have to get a massive haul to trade an MVP. If Gute didn't get a massive haul, he'd be toast. IMO

From what I understand he can opt out, but still owes the Packers 3 years on his contract when he gets back.  I'm not sure what that does for him career wise.  

It may help the Packers with Loves progress, and you might get more in trade value with 3 years vs 2 years left after the season.  

I think he's going to come into camp, business as usual.  

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Correct, but we could get a couple of nice players from them with draft picks. I think you have to get a massive haul to trade an MVP. If Gute didn't get a massive haul, he'd be toast. IMO

You have stated earlier in this thread the kind of haul you want. Unless you have changed your mind since then, your idea of a massive haul (at least 3x 1st round picks and two good first round players) for Rodgers (who is 38 later this year) is unrealistic and really gets in the way of a good, but more realistic deal (like 2x 1sts and one good player). If you go for an all-or-nothing deal, you'll probably get nothing.

Just to give you an idea of quality QBs of that era, the year before Rodgers was drafted (2005) had Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Phil Rivers and Matt Schaub drafted. Of them, only Roethlisberger is still playing and he can only play because he has taken a lesser deal to stay employed (and is very likely in his last year). Alex Smith (same year as Rodgers) has retired. Brees came out a year later and has just retired. Luck was taken in 2012 and has retired.

Injury played a part, sure, but older players are more likely to get a serious injury. My point ?  Rodgers lifespan (as a top level player) is unknown, but GMs will be aware that at his age time could catch up with him in one year or he may last five, it's speculation and a risk. For the kind of price you are suggesting it is too big a risk (imo) for GMs.

I'm still expecting its 50/50 Rodgers is here through the 2022 season, but more like 90/10 that he is here for 2021.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Rodgers not covid opting out. There is no pro for Rodgers by opting out.

He technically cannot opt out unless he has developed a high risk condition since last season.  It's technically possible to develop like cancer at any point, but there's also no indication this has happened.

49 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Rodgers not covid opting out. There is no pro for Rodgers by opting out.

But media gets to talk about this for one whole week and get ratings (during the lowest rating point of the year)

The only pro for Rodgers opting out is if he is seriously considering retiring and wants to trial it for a year to see if he misses it.

Otherwise it would be a bit silly. He loses a year of his career at pretty much its peak. He loses a year's salary - it harms his  negotiating position for a new contract. From an ego perspective, he goes from being a reigning MVP to being a middle aged man who has to prove he can still play QB after a year out.

Its not terrible for Packers - we get to trial Love for a year and if he flops we tell Rodgers he aint being traded for anything. Retire or play for us. If he looks good then we trade Rodgers.

But yeah - nothing is impossible in this bonkers situation but he's (probably) not going to opt out.

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

You have stated earlier in this thread the kind of haul you want. Unless you have changed your mind since then, your idea of a massive haul (at least 3x 1st round picks and two good first round players) for Rodgers (who is 38 later this year) is unrealistic and really gets in the way of a good, but more realistic deal (like 2x 1sts and one good player). If you go for an all-or-nothing deal, you'll probably get nothing.

Just to give you an idea of quality QBs of that era, the year before Rodgers was drafted (2005) had Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Phil Rivers and Matt Schaub drafted. Of them, only Roethlisberger is still playing and he can only play because he has taken a lesser deal to stay employed (and is very likely in his last year). Alex Smith (same year as Rodgers) has retired. Brees came out a year later and has just retired. Luck was taken in 2012 and has retired.

Injury played a part, sure, but older players are more likely to get a serious injury. My point ?  Rodgers lifespan (as a top level player) is unknown, but GMs will be aware that at his age time could catch up with him in one year or he may last five, it's speculation and a risk. For the kind of price you are suggesting it is too big a risk (imo) for GMs.

I'm still expecting its 50/50 Rodgers is here through the 2022 season, but more like 90/10 that he is here for 2021.

We have a difference of opinion. I can respect your perspective, but the guy was the MVP and there is no sign he's slowing down. You cannot same the same of any of the aforementioned guys you listed. Rodgers is performing at a clip that would give a GM the feeling he has 5 years left. He may or may not have 5 years, but if a GM thinks so, they will ante up big time. A shot at a Super Bowl is enticing. Again, we shall see. 

Would you pay more for potentially 8 years of Stafford or 5 years of Rodgers? I think it's a no brainer, Rodgers. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

He technically cannot opt out unless he has developed a high risk condition since last season.  It's technically possible to develop like cancer at any point, but there's also no indication this has happened.

I think the high risk thing is if you want the opt out and receive the stipend.

On 6/25/2021 at 1:15 PM, 15412 said:

You're not seeing China for the tyrannical Commies hitnhope, or is that forest for the trees?  

As far as the Chinese Communist virus and following pandemic goes I never once heard DJT utter those words.  I am simply giving credit to those who have earned it.  

bot bot bot

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 3:12 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

It's not ideal, but It does get you on the road to a new plan a year earlier.  The old plan hasn't exactly led to multiple super bowls.  Close four times in recent years, but 12 is yet to play out his *** when it really matters.  The only championship game win was against the great Caleb Haney and Rodgers stunk in that game as well.

I hate when people say this. Winning multiple Super Bowl’s is not a easy thing to do . There’s some very good QBs who haven’t won any. 

I get the new plan is exciting . I’m a huge Jordan Love fan. However, this year with Aaron Rodgers we would have just as good of chance at the SB as anyone. 

As for his NFCCGs , he hasn’t played incredible. You’re playing against really good teams there. Atl and SF they were clearly outgunned , which I don’t put much stock into. Sea and TB he most certainly played well enough to win . A legit play or two in either game and we’d be playing in the SB. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I hate when people say this. Winning multiple Super Bowl’s is not a easy thing to do . There’s some very good QBs who haven’t won any. 

I get the new plan is exciting . I’m a huge Jordan Love fan. However, this year with Aaron Rodgers we would have just as good of chance at the SB as anyone. 

As for his NFCCGs , he hasn’t played incredible. You’re playing against really good teams there. Atl and SF they were clearly outgunned , which I don’t put much stock into. Sea and TB he most certainly played well enough to win . A legit play or two in either game and we’d be playing in the SB. 

Making 4 CCGs in a decade-ish ain't easy either. There are a lot of franchises that don't have 4 CCG in total. 

People take this stuff for granted, like there aren't 25-28 teams where the GM/owner would chop off a foot to have the 15 yr stretch GB just had. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Making 4 CCGs in a decade-ish ain't easy either. There are a lot of franchises that don't have 4 CCG in total. 

People take this stuff for granted, like there aren't 25-28 teams where the GM/owner would chop off a foot to have the 15 yr stretch GB just had. 

People are in for a very rude awakening once Aaron is gone. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

People are in for a very rude awakening once Aaron is gone. 

Maybe, maybe not. If the roster is solid the team will still be good with average QB play. I have loved watching Rodgers career, but you just don't want someone around who isn't all in, especially the QB IMO. You can't let fear of the future push you into moves that are bad for the team such as giving Rodgers a big money extension.

• Like 1