Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

On 6/25/2021 at 6:13 PM, OneTwoSixFive said:

Injury played a part, sure, but older players are more likely to get a serious injury. My point ?  Rodgers lifespan (as a top level player) is unknown, but GMs will be aware that at his age time could catch up with him in one year or he may last five, it's speculation and a risk.

This. I get feeling frustrated at Gute not doing more to get him the help he needs (even with his cap-hemorrhaging salary), but not locking him up to an irrevocable deal at his age isn't at all a slight on him, it's about security. Not everyone can be like Brady, Brees, etc. and continue to play at an MVP level into their 40s, in fact, it looks like age finally started to catch up to Brees last year as he clearly developed a case of the noodle arm in the Divisional Round. If history has taught us anything, it could even catch up to him next year for all we know since late 30's appears to be the regression norm for QBs.

If he can continue to play at a high level, he'll stay all of those remaining years. If not, having a potential star QB waiting in the wings and not pressured to perform in year 1 is a luxury most teams would love to have and he himself benefited from.

Edited by KManX89

21 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Maybe, maybe not. If the roster is solid the team will still be good with average QB play. I have loved watching Rodgers career, but you just don't want someone around who isn't all in, especially the QB IMO. You can't let fear of the future push you into moves that are bad for the team such as giving Rodgers a big money extension.

I understand your points and agree with them. 

First, when Rodgers comes back , I’m very confident he’s all in. He’s a competitor , he’s playing for legacy and it gives him more leverage if he wins a SB. 

This situation we’re in is a delicate one. And I’m sure the FO knew it was going to be. 

I think the best way to thread this needle is to ‘guarantee’ Rodgers is the starter for next year. I would also guess that GB also made that kind of offer. 

If he wants to guarantee he’s the starter two years after this year, I’m not sure I do that . I think this is probably the stalemate we are in. He wants more than next year guaranteed. 

I do think GB is playing this correctly . Praise him. Decline all trade talks, because what’s he going to do ?? He’s not going to sit out. And when he plays , he’s going to give his best effort . He knows that this year is his best chance at winning another SB.  There likely wont be a ‘resolution’ but we’ll see where were next year. If GB wants Rodgers for years down the road after next then he’ll be here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Montana retired at age 38, and his last 2 seasons were just OK. 

QBs did take more of a beating in this era.  Injuries factor in more with age. Harder to recover and longer to heal. 

Point is, Montana's last truly high-level season was at age 34. Moon, Marino, and Elway kept their level of play up longer but still tailed off. Manning too - all of them but Moon were retired by age 40. Brees and Brady are EXTREMELY rare exceptions, and even Brees was looking shaky the past few years. Brady is an absolute freak about nutrition and body maintenance. 

Edited by Mr Bad Example

On 6/25/2021 at 6:31 PM, Old Guy said:

We have a difference of opinion. I can respect your perspective, but the guy was the MVP and there is no sign he's slowing down. You cannot same the same of any of the aforementioned guys you listed. Rodgers is performing at a clip that would give a GM the feeling he has 5 years left. He may or may not have 5 years, but if a GM thinks so, they will ante up big time. A shot at a Super Bowl is enticing. Again, we shall see. 

Would you pay more for potentially 8 years of Stafford or 5 years of Rodgers? I think it's a no brainer, Rodgers. 

Over the last 5 years, Rodgers had completion %'s of 65.7, 64.7, 62.3, 62 and 70.7.

Yards per attempt.  7.3. 7.0. 7.4. 7.0.  8.2.

QBR. 72.4.  66.  58.  52.5.  84.4.

One of those years is a clear uptick, last year.  Some might say it is an outlier.  

I get the optimism, and I too believe that Rodgers can play at a very high level in this offense for another 5 years.

But....there is reason to believe that last year was an outlier.  Maybe Covid hampered defenses, maybe lack of crowd noise led to the uptick, or maybe it was Rodgers looking at his past self compared to his current self and fixing some little issue.  Maybe it was motivation.  Who knows.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Over the last 5 years, Rodgers had completion %'s of 65.7, 64.7, 62.3, 62 and 70.7.

Yards per attempt.  7.3. 7.0. 7.4. 7.0.  8.2.

QBR. 72.4.  66.  58.  52.5.  84.4.

One of those years is a clear uptick, last year.  Some might say it is an outlier.  

I get the optimism, and I too believe that Rodgers can play at a very high level in this offense for another 5 years.

But....there is reason to believe that last year was an outlier.  Maybe Covid hampered defenses, maybe lack of crowd noise led to the uptick, or maybe it was Rodgers looking at his past self compared to his current self and fixing some little issue.  Maybe it was motivation.  Who knows.  

Wouldn't we have then seen this massive uptick in offense across the NFL last year?

All I'm saying is you don't trade the league MVP without a King's Ransom in return. I don't think Gutekunst could survive is he didn't get massive value for Rodgers. 

As far as an outlier, these teams would mortgage everything if that one outlier year wound up with a Lombardi Trophy. That in essence is what they are trading for. That potential they don't currently have at the QB position with little hope of solving it in the next few years. 

Edited by Old Guy

It has never been easier to play QB in the NFL.  That is why so many can now play so long.  But as others have mentioned, there is a declining skills factor that can not be overcome.  Combine that with cap considerations and the issue just isn't number 12.  It goes way beyond that.  Th issue is Adams, Tonyan, Alexander, Jenkins, Savge, etc etc.  Teams must plan for more than one year at a time, or they will be doomed to be a perennial loser.  The Packers want to be a perennial winner, and have been for a very long time now.   We can not sign all of our own players we would like to as it is, but sign this 38 year old to be player to a bloated long term deal we can't get out of is a recipe for disaster.  We are then running the team strictly on credit card spending and the team will go the way of T-Rex.  Both the group and the lizard.

Sometimes a team does need to fall down in order to rise again.  It will happen.  But being able to rise quickly is the key instead of stinking for half a decade or more.  As others said no doubt the best scenario is for Rodg to return for one more season or maybe two.  But we can't afford much more of that with a player who no longer is sneaking up on 30.  He's sneaking up on 40.

Either way, Love has to get ready.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Wouldn't we have then seen this massive uptick in offense across the NFL last year?

All I'm saying is you don't trade the league MVP without a King's Ransom in return. I don't think Gutekunst could survive is he didn't get massive value for Rodgers. 

As far as an outlier, these teams would mortgage everything if that one outlier year wound up with a Lombardi Trophy. That in essence is what they are trading for. That potential they don't currently have at the QB position with little hope of solving it in the next few years. 

About your first question....no.  I do not think so.  But, I would think that good to great veteran quarterbacks had a better season.  Especially early.  I think defenses had to be more "vanilla" because of reduced camp stuff.  But, I'm also too lazy to do all the research about that.  But to me, it certainly looked like Rodgers had the advantage over defenses last season, especially early.

I agree about the king's ransom.  Very much.  If I'm an acquiring GM, though, I'm analyzing Rodgers from the past 4-5 years to see what he will be like in the next 4-5 years.  I'm not just looking at his MVP 2020 season.  

If someone thinks Rodgers gets them over the hump for a title?  Sure, give up everything.  A savvy GM would have to look at his current roster and his division and see if Rodgers makes that much sense.  As in....Rodgers hasn't exactly had great playoffs performances as of late.  We've fallen short.  So if his team isn't on par with GB...what good is Rodgers, really?

Playing devil's advocate here.  Obviously Rodgers is an upgrade at the QB position over most anyone else in the NFL not named Mahomes.  The question is what the current roster and future roster look like with him on the team after mortgaging the future.  This isn't Peyton Manning who was simply a free agent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

About your first question....no.  I do not think so.  But, I would think that good to great veteran quarterbacks had a better season.  Especially early.  I think defenses had to be more "vanilla" because of reduced camp stuff.  But, I'm also too lazy to do all the research about that.  But to me, it certainly looked like Rodgers had the advantage over defenses last season, especially early.

I agree about the king's ransom.  Very much.  If I'm an acquiring GM, though, I'm analyzing Rodgers from the past 4-5 years to see what he will be like in the next 4-5 years.  I'm not just looking at his MVP 2020 season.  

If someone thinks Rodgers gets them over the hump for a title?  Sure, give up everything.  A savvy GM would have to look at his current roster and his division and see if Rodgers makes that much sense.  As in....Rodgers hasn't exactly had great playoffs performances as of late.  We've fallen short.  So if his team isn't on par with GB...what good is Rodgers, really?

Playing devil's advocate here.  Obviously Rodgers is an upgrade at the QB position over most anyone else in the NFL not named Mahomes.  The question is what the current roster and future roster look like with him on the team after mortgaging the future.  This isn't Peyton Manning who was simply a free agent.

Agree! That is also the beauty of the situation, it only take one team, GM, to believe Rodgers puts them over the top. It would be even better if that GM were already on the hot seat. 

Interesting conversation! Funny how 342 pages might all be for naught! Rodgers might show up on first day of TC and all will be forgotten! I do sort of doubt that this ends that peacefully though. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Agree! That is also the beauty of the situation, it only take one team, GM, to believe Rodgers puts them over the top. It would be even better if that GM were already on the hot seat. 

Interesting conversation! Funny how 342 pages might all be for naught! Rodgers might show up on first day of TC and all will be forgotten! I do sort of doubt that this ends that peacefully though. 

It also only takes on GM who needs to put butts in seats to see value in Rodgers.  It isn't always about winning the big one.  It is a business after all.  (Ahem...Las Vegas)

I've long thought that Rodgers could do exactly what you said.  Saunter in, give a big **** eating smile and say "Don't believe the media hype."  And it's all done.  Till next year.

Well, at least a guy can dream.

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

It also only takes on GM who needs to put butts in seats to see value in Rodgers.  It isn't always about winning the big one.  It is a business after all.  (Ahem...Las Vegas)

I've long thought that Rodgers could do exactly what you said.  Saunter in, give a big **** eating smile and say "Don't believe the media hype."  And it's all done.  Till next year.

Well, at least a guy can dream.

Funny! I sauntered over to the Denver Broncos board and asked what they would be winning to give up for Rodgers. I was surprised at what they offered to be honest. I would think fans would think you could get him for a song. 

The offer was 2 - 1st, 2nd, 3rd and two players. The players were nothing to write about. Then another guy said he'd throw in Noah Fant. 

I thought it was interesting. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Funny! I sauntered over to the Denver Broncos board and asked what they would be winning to give up for Rodgers. I was surprised at what they offered to be honest. I would think fans would think you could get him for a song. 

The offer was 2 - 1st, 2nd, 3rd and two players. The players were nothing to write about. Then another guy said he'd throw in Noah Fant. 

I thought it was interesting. 

Sauntered, trolled....semantics I guess. But I did think it was a bit over-optimistic when you stated any offer should START at what Stafford got. How you you equate an offer for a 33-yr old QB in his PRIME to a 38-yr old who has 3-4 good yrs left. I will give you AR12  just had an MVP season but you also have to recognize part of the Rams offer was also to take on Goff's salary for an under-producing QB.

And the offer I put out feels like a pretty good offer. Old Guy, what kind of offer were you expecting ?? 4 or more 1st and 3 Pro Bowlers ???  

17 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Sauntered, trolled....semantics I guess. But I did think it was a bit over-optimistic when you stated any offer should START at what Stafford got. How you you equate an offer for a 33-yr old QB in his PRIME to a 38-yr old who has 3-4 good yrs left. I will give you AR12  just had an MVP season but you also have to recognize part of the Rams offer was also to take on Goff's salary for an under-producing QB.

And the offer I put out feels like a pretty good offer. Old Guy, what kind of offer were you expecting ?? 4 or more 1st and 3 Pro Bowlers ???  

LOL! You take this way too serious! Did you miss where I said I was surprised by what you offered? As in, it was a great starting point! 

See the source image