Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not trying to argue with you regarding Wilson...but....

Wilson did give Seattle a list of teams that he'd be willing to be traded to.  That much is known.

He's not thrilled.  Neither is Watson.  Neither is Rodgers.  

I think his agent did that....and to whom, I cant say conclusively. 
When Wilson finally opened him mouth - he said he never wanted to be traded - so, go figure.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Yes - AR gets easier to move after next year. Countless players are probably in the same boat.
But - If AR's play remains high (and I dont mean MVP level high) I think GB would strongly consider sticking with him.

How Russ Ball figures out the contract maze with this evolving/changing cap situation - I've no clue - but AR's a known fixed cost. It's not like we dont have him quantified. 

As soon as Love is ready (after this year?), Rodgers is gone.    The Packers talk a good game as far as wanting him back this year,  but I think they see him as a 40 million pound weight around their neck.   Theyve seen this movie now for 13 years of Rodgers playing.   Great player, but Love can fail to win the Super Bowl just as well as Rodgers for a lot less.

• Like 1

Just now, NFLGURU said:

As soon as Love is ready (after this year?), Rodgers is gone.    The Packers talk a good game as far as wanting him back this year,  but I think they see him as a 40 million pound weight around their neck.   Theyve seen this movie now for 13 years of Rodgers playing.   Great player, but Love can fail to win the Super Bowl just as well as Rodgers for a lot less.

Yes - but COVID19 put that assessment back a full year and until Love shows he's ready, GB's not moving on from anybody.

This has always been the reality - which calls all the current BS into serious question.

Plus if AR shows he's still got it......GB could hang on to him still. He might be expensive, but not everybody gets to consistently play at the upper echelons of the league. 

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yes - but COVID19 put that assessment back a full year and until Love shows he's ready, GB's not moving on from anybody.

This has always been the reality - which calls all the current BS into serious question.

Plus if AR shows he's still got it......GB could hang on to him still. He might be expensive, but not everybody gets to consistently play at the upper echelons of the league. 

I dont think they'll hang on to him.  Of course this all depends on Love and his progress.   1.  Rodgers is VERY  expensive, and  2.  They'll want to hand the keys to Love without Rodgers hanging over his shoulder. 

Its all hanging on Loves progress.

58 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'd say its more about tenure. The financial side (in this case) only comes into it in how a contract affects tenure.

By tenure, you mean guarantees don't you? Rodgers wants guarantees (money) that he's going to be the QB in GB through the duration of his contract. He's not going to get that. 

20 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I dont think they'll hang on to him.  Of course this all depends on Love and his progress.   1.  Rodgers is VERY  expensive, and  2.  They'll want to hand the keys to Love without Rodgers hanging over his shoulder. Its all hanging on Loves progress.     

AR's QB1 until he's no longer in the locker room. Will they get rid of him after this year? Very possible.....depends on Love's progress and whatever (if any) changes are made to AR's contract between now and the season.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I think his agent did that....and to whom, I cant say conclusively. 
When Wilson finally opened him mouth - he said he never wanted to be traded - so, go figure.

Wilson was the one who trashed his offensive line wasn't he? Yeah, that is going to play well in the locker room. He's going to be running for his life even more this year. 

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Wilson was the one who trashed his offensive line wasn't he? Yeah, that is going to play well in the locker room. He's going to be running for his life even more this year. 

I don't think that is possible.

4 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Now you know why many of us are clamoring to trade him now! Also, I do not for one second believe Rodgers is retiring after this year. No chance, in fact of that happening. 

I'd also say professional players generally tune out the media because they don't really want to deal with them any way so this 'big distraction' is overblown IMO. 

I believe Rodgers plays this year. I think the plan was to move him after Love's second year all along. We got a squad to win a championship, but back to back 13-3 records are hard to continue on that path. Last year was the year to get it done and we didn't. 

I'm still for trading him now, but understand that is highly unlikely. 

Yes but that was as a result of a few years of average play from Rodgers. If he is average in 21 then I expect we will 'try' and move him on. If he is MVP again then they will want him back in 22. The same if he leads us to a title.  Somewhere in between and its not as straight forward.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Its not as easy as that ... QBs aren't cheap.

Love will either fail or be very expensive in a few years. Or (arguably the worst outcome) you get an OK QB who still commands a big chunk of the salary cap. 

If we get rid of Rodgers in 22 then we have his dead cap.  You get a cheap year in 23 but that's a pretty small window. Pretty similar to the window we have in 21 which we generated by pushing all the cap hits into 22. 

If you want to go cheap on QB, then you can start the Bortles of this world. They drafted Love so they are hoping he is going to be heavy cap burden in a few years.

5 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Its not as easy as that ... QBs aren't cheap.

Love will either fail or be very expensive in a few years. Or (arguably the worst outcome) you get an OK QB who still commands a big chunk of the salary cap. 

If we get rid of Rodgers in 22 then we have his dead cap.  You get a cheap year in 23 but that's a pretty small window. Pretty similar to the window we have in 21 which we generated by pushing all the cap hits into 22. 

If you want to go cheap on QB, then you can start the Bortles of this world. They drafted Love so they are hoping he is going to be heavy cap burden in a few years.

If you get rid of Rodgers in 22, assume you mean before the draft, you get a cheap Love in 22 and 23. 24 is his 5th year option which gets a bit pricier, but being he was the 26th pick I'm not sure if he's discounted compared to a top 10 guy. 

So then you extend Love and reduce his salary in 24, and 25. After that you are pretty much paying premium money, but that is a pretty decent 4 year window. Especially given the talent on this team and the assumed draft picks for Rodgers. 

EDIT: I just looked it up. Lamar Jackson's fifth year option is going to be 23 million. Baker Mayfield's is going to be 30 million. We would get a discount but it's pricy only if Love is a tweener, not a start and not a bust. Two years later let's say Love costs 25 - 27 million for his fifth year in this hypothetical. He's going to be less than 12% of the cap by then. Possibly under 10% after new CBA.  

Edited by Old Guy