Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

10 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Hes coming back, but don't be confused by that.  I think this is going to be a very awkward camp and season.  This season is going to be like spending an afternoon in a dentist chair.  They should still win the division but every loss will be magnified as "Rodgers is just mailing it in until he gets traded".  

The talking heads will make up anything to fill airtime.

He's not gonna mail it in IMO - so not a concern - but his level of play will be the gauge of his effort. Not team wins and losses.

The team shouldn't enter into any agreement to trade *any* player at a designated time. Thats nothing more than "Harden-lite" and it's bad business. 

Add on - what if Love's not the guy or ready? The Packers would be screwed in 2022 - when there's no need to be: they've got AR under contract for 3 more years. Hence - it's (both) a bad precedent and would be bad business.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Leader said:

The talking heads will make up anything to fill airtime.

He's not gonna mail it in IMO - so not a concern - but his level of play will be the gauge of his effort. Not team wins and losses.

The team shouldn't enter into any agreement to trade *any* player at a designated time. Thats nothing more than "Harden-lite" and it's bad business. 

Add on - what if Love's not the guy or ready? The Packers would be screwed in 2022 - when there's no need to be: they've got AR under contract for 3 more years. Hence - it's (both) a bad precedent and would be bad business.

2022... Packers are already gonna be between $30M-$40M over the salary cap....

2021 is it....

37 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

2021 is it....

In terms of their SB window or in terms of keeping AR?

It could be to either - but it's not predetermined.

My point is that the scenario put forward by Scheftner about "guaranteed trade" is just a bad move all the way around.

1 hour ago, FAH1223 said:

That's a myth. They will rework deals, move money from salary to signing bonus, cut players and do some extensions to get under the cap. The real question, as it has always been. is what to do with Arod in 2022. Prior to this whole hoo ha there was a choice to make either extend or trade in 2022 as his dead cap hit was realtively low that allowed to move him but his cap hit was still very high. Most likely it is a trade only choice now unless the Packers do something stupid to suck up to him this offseason but it doesn't seem like they will...I hope

On 7/18/2021 at 8:38 AM, NFLGURU said:

Agree with you, but Schefter is getting his stuff from somewhere. He is very reliable, and my guess is he's getting it from David Dunne, Rodgers agent.  

I wouldn't give Rodgers anything, but I have no reason to think Schefter is making stuff up.

Schefter's credibility took a big hit with the story.

ESPN is the only one really going the extra mile to back him and keep this a story.

So, how he says there will be a "compromise"???

Dude is just covering all of his bases, so he looks less foolish.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

IMO this entire story is contrived.....so I dont see the need for a compromise - and I certainly dont see a guaranteed trade next year as in the organizations interests.

Lets see / prove what we've got in the heir apparent before we go agreeing to (potentially) be QB'less next year.

Can you imagine?
AR's under contract for 3 more years - but - we agree to jettison him next year - only to find out Love stinks.
(Not saying he will stink....just say'in).

41 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Schefter's credibility took a big hit with the story.

ESPN is the only one really going the extra mile to back him and keep this a story.

Dude is just covering all of his bases, so he looks less foolish.

I think @mikemike778 summed it up pretty well in post below I copied. 

On 7/18/2021 at 4:24 AM, mikemike778 said:

So basically Rodgers main complaint is he doesn't like being a placeholder for Love with Packers likely to trade him in 2022.

So to compromise Packers agree to trade him in 2022

Edited by Old Guy

Just now, Malfatron said:

What if we convert some salary to a lucrative "endorsement deal" off the books?

As others have pointed out it's not about the money, it's about the guaranteed money so the Packers cannot move on from him in a reasonably fiscally responsible way. 

1 hour ago, Leader said:

IMO this entire story is contrived.....so I dont see the need for a compromise - and I certainly dont see a guaranteed trade next year as in the organizations interests.

Lets see / prove what we've got in the heir apparent before we go agreeing to (potentially) be QB'less next year.

Can you imagine?
AR's under contract for 3 more years - but - we agree to jettison him next year - only to find out Love stinks.
(Not saying he will stink....just say'in).

Yeah .. not a chance I would guarantee to trade Rodgers.

41 minutes ago, Leader said:

I dont think its contrived.   He's had plenty of opportunities to debunk it.   He hasnt.  Mark Murphy says he's a "complicated fella", How often has Murphy traveled out to CA to visit a player?   This isnt a QB coach, this is the CEO of the Packers having to go out there to talk to a player.  Think about what it would take for the frickin CEO Murphy and others separately to have to go out there to deal with this.    

There are problems there, even the Packers will tell you that.    Schefter reports it and all Rodgers friends who have contact with him are talking about what it will take to solve the problem.

Theres a problem there, and Schefter reported it.   He isnt getting his info from a tree in his back yard.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I dont think its contrived.   He's had plenty of opportunities to debunk it.   He hasnt.  Mark Murphy says he's a "complicated fella", How often has Murphy traveled out to CA to visit a player?   This isnt a QB coach, this is the CEO of the Packers having to go out there to talk to a player.  Think about what it would take for the frickin CEO Murphy and others separately to have to go out there to deal with this.   

There are problems there, even the Packers will tell you that.    Schefter reports it and all Rodgers friends who have contact with him are talking about what it will take to solve the problem.

Theres a problem there, and Schefter reported it.   He isnt getting his info from a tree in his back yard.   

I wasnt clear enough, but I've commented before that I think this a contract matter and not: they cut Kumerow, I want the GM fired (etc) and all the superfluous  stuff that kept the media going for weeks/month.

I think - dont know obviously - that AR was looking for greater guarantees in his contract. Apparently, he's burned through all the guaranteed money in his extension - he (and everybody) knows its more financially feasible for GB to move on from him after next year (doesnt mean it's gonna or has to happen.....) - so, he's leveraging his MVP season to secure greater guarantees. Thats what I think this is all about. 

GB offered something during the offseason - but apparently it wasnt enough.

AR's not said one thing about wanting to be traded and until he does, I'm not going to justify the media chatter that a "compromise" is necessary. These are the same people that brought us: "they cut Kumerow, I want the GM fired (etc) and all the superfluous  stuff that kept the media going for weeks/month."

Bottom line: GB's got AR signed up for three more years. Until we find out what we've got with Love - I dont think they should "compromise" in any way (other than potential contract amendments).

AR's greatest "insecurity" is how expensive he is but if he continues to play at a high level, I dont see GB moving off of him - certainly not prematurely.

28 minutes ago, Leader said:

I wasnt clear enough, but I've commented before that I think this a contract matter and not: they cut Kumerow, I want the GM fired (etc) and all the superfluous  stuff that kept the media going for weeks/month.

I think - dont know obviously - that AR was looking for greater guarantees in his contract. Apparently, he's burned through all the guaranteed money in his extension - he (and everybody) knows its more financially feasible for GB to move on from him after next year (doesnt mean it's gonna or has to happen.....) - so, he's leveraging his MVP season to secure greater guarantees. Thats what I think this is all about. 

GB offered something during the offseason - but apparently it wasnt enough.

AR's not said one thing about wanting to be traded and until he does, I'm not going to justify the media chatter that a "compromise" is necessary. These are the same people that brought us: "they cut Kumerow, I want the GM fired (etc) and all the superfluous  stuff that kept the media going for weeks/month."

Bottom line: GB's got AR signed up for three more years. Until we find out what we've got with Love - I dont think they should "compromise" in any way (other than potential contract amendments).

AR's greatest "insecurity" is how expensive he is but if he continues to play at a high level, I dont see GB moving off of him - certainly not prematurely.

Can't argue with any of that. It all comes down to Loves progress. 

Gotta wonder how much more invested Murphy and Gute are in Loves progress since all this surfaced.  👀

On 7/18/2021 at 3:24 AM, mikemike778 said:

So basically Rodgers main complaint is he doesn't like being a placeholder for Love with Packers likely to trade him in 2022.

So to compromise Packers agree to trade him in 2022

Deserves a second requote.

This is exactly it. Perfectly stated.

It'll effect signing anyone in the future too (as Davante hinted). Just crappy, especially the doubling down by Gute (or Murphy?)