Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Cap isn’t real method.

Not drafting Love and Dillon.

We didn’t go all in last year.  The Buccaneers did.

Granted, with Pettine, it likely wasn’t the best idea to go all in, but conventional wisdom suggests last year was the year to do it knowing 2021 would be a wasted year anyway with Aaron’s cap percentage.

One additional move somewhere gets us past the Buccaneers.

Past the Chiefs?  I don’t know, but past the Buccaneers for sure.

While I think the Bucs match up with us too well, I think we win that last game with Bak and a replacement for king available. If healthy, hopefully we will have both of those available in 2021 if we play them. Of course Lindsley is gone. Better run defense would help a good deal too.

Edited by Arthur Penske

2 minutes ago, Siman08/OH said:

Rodgers in Green Bay early. Just keeps getting better.

Now that last nights fireworks are over and the situation seems handled let’s discuss the nuts and bolts.

Is this the best team we’ve had in a long time? I think so. 

It's got a lot of talent. Also some big unknowns, no Bak early, new defense, New center etc.

3 minutes ago, Siman08/OH said:

I do not disagree with that sentiment at all. 

I’m really not a fan of these either/ors 

Two things can work simultaneously together.

LaFleur can be a great coach who is helped by AR.

WR x can be good without QB Y and vice versa. 

Gute has created a top tier roster but he’s also going to need the guys to play well when it matters. 

That was the problem vs Tampa ( not this ‘ Tampa went all in and we didn’t nonsense )

If Aaron Rodgers, Zadarius Smith , Davante Adams, Aaron Jones etc. play a good game, not even a great game , GB probably wins. Hell, if one or two flukish plays go different GB wins. 

GBs problem is that they just haven’t played their best when it matters the most. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

What an idiot if someone from Aaron’s camp let that leak.

You can bet your bottom dollar nobody from the GB FO would leak such a thing. It would be entirely against their interests to do so.

Paul Bretl had some good comments on the Cobb matter - starting with "it doesnt make sense - especially with the drafting of A.Rogers and Cobb's price tag"  The last thing we want to do is dump a larger pile of debt on Loves early years.

I think AR should take a 50% paycut. Straight off the books. No extending it. Just cut it off and we use that cash to build the future beyond him: Davante, Jaire etc. 

Not gonna happen - but one can hope.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

It's got a lot of talent. Also some big unknowns, no Bak early, new defense, New center etc.

I don’t think I agree with this statement.  I think this team doesn’t have much pressing question marks this year, especially compared to other years. 

At our weakest points , I think we know the floor for them. 

We know Kevin King is widely inconsistent who can be very good or very bad ( we also have Stokes as an insurance/ upside  )

We know what Lowry and Lancaster give us ( with Keke and TJ as insurance and upside ) 

New Center will be different, but he’s surrounded by a lot of high quality vets. 

I think we know what we got floor wise with most of the team .

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

You can bet your bottom dollar nobody from the GB FO would leak such a thing. It would be entirely against their interests to do so.

Paul Bretl had some good comments on the Cobb matter - starting with "it doesnt make sense - especially with the drafting of A.Rogers and Cobb's price tag"  The last thing we want to do is dump a larger pile of debt on Loves early years.

I think AR should take a 50% paycut. Straight off the books. No extending it. Just cut it off and we use that cash to build the future beyond him: Davante, Jaire etc. 

Not gonna happen - but one can hope.

I'd like to know what conditions are in the contract following this year.  What control Rodgers would have over where he goes.  

The Packers clearly lost some trade value with this deal.  A couple of QBs to watch which will impact Rodgers next offseason.  Obviously Jordan Love and Trey Lance in SF.  If Lance doesn't show anything, Rodgers could be a player in SF depending on how much control he has with this contract.

Last year we had a good team.  Within a couple of plays of the Super Bowl.  Had a chance.  Didn't quite work out, but Gute assembled a strong, competitive, had-a-realistic-shot roster.  But yeah, I can see how drafting a Buildican guy like Love didn't seem the most win-now smart to the other players.  

This year, we have a good team again.  Entering camp this seems like another has-a-realistic-shot roster.  We've got a chance.  A lot of games come down to a few plays either way, and some bounces or calls, and it's the National Injury League, so January rosters will end up variably different from camp rosters for every team.  I'm delighted to have Rodgers coming to camp, and feeling like the chance is good, if variably improbable.  

I'm glad to take another run at it.  If it does prove out to be Last Dance, make it a good one.  A Last Dance resulting in a championship is a thrilling and unforgettable drama.  A last dance resulting in a 9-8 or 10-7 season, and either no playoffs or a 1st-round exit, that will not be super thrilling.  

16 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

The Packers clearly lost some trade value with this deal. 

Maybe yes / maybe no. Depends on how the market develops over coming months - and - (as you'd mentioned) how much AR gets to winnow down that market to specific targets. If a team knows their comp is less - they can offer less.

Things to consider now:  2022 draft selections (and cap situations) for potential teams and weigh them based on which is better for GB versus which is better for AR.  You can bet AR's agent (and Gute) are gonna do that.

Edited by Leader

47 minutes ago, Leader said:

You can thank the GM for that.

Correction.... GMs.  Gute inherited 6 of the 8 All Pro/ pro bowlers this team has had over the last couple years.  The vast majority of the difference makers on this roster were acquired under Ted Thompson.

19 minutes ago, SSG said:

Correction.... GMs.  Gute inherited 6 of the 8 All Pro/ pro bowlers this team has had over the last couple years.  The vast majority of the difference makers on this roster were acquired under Ted Thompson.

Okay.....that could be as far as Pro Bowlers are concerned, but Gute executed a fairly dramatic roster turnover.

Regardless, the point I was making is that we as fans have enjoyed the relative stability and decisions of the FO. They've proven themselves far from a bunch of baboons - a claim many other organizations cannot make. Perfect they're not - but there's something to be said for *continual* Division winners and playoff contenders. 

We've lost some high stakes games - and they hurt - but that doesnt diminish the overall IMO.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SSG said:

no. that's not how this works. Thompson brought in McCarthy and Capers. He's trash. Remember?

You are not allowed to pivot like this and prop up TT so you can cut down the current GM lol