Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

Cobb:  I'm no advocate, nor any scout.  But I wonder if he's actually not as bad as the board is making him out to be?  He had 38 catches for 441 yards, almost identical production to Lazard in the same number of games.  More than 6 times the production of Malik Taylor.  Not sure it would be so bad to add a vet pro like that in place of Taylor?  And have another rotation guy who can play some snaps when injuries hit?  (Last year Taylor and Shepherd played >300 snaps).  

Obviously I don't see how Cobb at $8M would make any sense at all, no way.  But the idea that he's awful and worse than a back-of-the-roster guy may not be true?  Houston isn't in a great contending mode this season; perhaps they would rather dead-cap him now, and pay, so they don't get stuck with anything next year?  (OK, unlikely, but not impossible for a Buildican team.). 

The other way Houston could hypthetically do it would be to restructure.  *IF* they were to convert some base to bonus.  *IF* they were to convert $5M of base into bonus, then the Packers would pick up $3M in salary, not $8.  (Or whatever).  Packers might have a price they'd pay; and Houston could then offload some of his financial obligation, and save $1M off this year's cap and save $2M (or more) off of next year's.  Plus maybe Houston would pick up a late draft pick.  

I'm not advocating for this, or predicting any such thing.  Just trying to think through how there are ways to make it work, ways that might hypothetically be mutually desirable for all three parties (Packers, Houston, and Cobb).  Whether the Packers would like Cobb's skill-set on an Amari roster, and whether they'd value it enough to pay $2-4M and make it worthwhile to Houston, that seems unlikely but not impossible.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

no. that's not how this works. Thompson brought in McCarthy and Capers. He's trash. Remember?

You are not allowed to pivot like this and prop up TT so you can cut down the current GM lol

You are king of the pivot.  STFU and don't tell me what I am allowed to say.  I don't have a care in the world what you do or don't think.  I never called Thompson garbage.  Take your childish garbage elsewhere bruh.  Stop making takes for me because your panties are in a bunch over Rodgers return.  

Edited by SSG

1 minute ago, SSG said:

You are king of the pivot.  STFU and don't tell me what I am and aren't allowed to say.  I don't have a care in the world what you do or don't think.  I never called Thompson garbage.  Take your childish garbage elsewhere bruh and making takes for me because your panties are in a bunch over Rodgers return.  

Everyone report this

3 minutes ago, SSG said:

You are king of the pivot.  STFU and don't tell me what I am and aren't allowed to say.  I don't have a care in the world what you do or don't think.  I never called Thompson garbage.  Take your childish garbage elsewhere bruh and making takes for me because your panties are in a bunch over Rodgers return.  

I always assumed SSG was like 70 years old but after he dropped a “bruh” in this post I will need to recalibrate a bit 🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cpdaly23 said:

I always assumed SSG was like 70 years old but after he dropped a “bruh” in this post I will need to recalibrate a bit 🤔

I'm extremely pessimistic (and not proud of it) so this take doesn't surprise me.   

3 minutes ago, craig said:

Cobb:  I'm no advocate, nor any scout.  But I wonder if he's actually not as bad as the board is making him out to be?  He had 38 catches for 441 yards, almost identical production to Lazard in the same number of games.  More than 6 times the production of Malik Taylor.  Not sure it would be so bad to add a vet pro like that in place of Taylor?  And have another rotation guy who can play some snaps when injuries hit?  (Last year Taylor and Shepherd played >300 snaps).  

Obviously I don't see how Cobb at $8M would make any sense at all, no way.  But the idea that he's awful and worse than a back-of-the-roster guy may not be true?  Houston isn't in a great contending mode this season; perhaps they would rather dead-cap him now, and pay, so they don't get stuck with anything next year?  (OK, unlikely, but not impossible for a Buildican team.). 

The other way Houston could hypthetically do it would be to restructure.  *IF* they were to convert some base to bonus.  *IF* they were to convert $5M of base into bonus, then the Packers would pick up $3M in salary, not $8.  (Or whatever).  Packers might have a price they'd pay; and Houston could then offload some of his financial obligation, and save $1M off this year's cap and save $2M (or more) off of next year's.  Plus maybe Houston would pick up a late draft pick.  

I'm not advocating for this, or predicting any such thing.  Just trying to think through how there are ways to make it work, ways that might hypothetically be mutually desirable for all three parties (Packers, Houston, and Cobb).  Whether the Packers would like Cobb's skill-set on an Amari roster, and whether they'd value it enough to pay $2-4M and make it worthwhile to Houston, that seems unlikely but not impossible.  

Agree, Cobb has good value in many ways but not $8 million value.

1.  Apparently, Rodgers wants him around, always seemed to be a good safety valve for him.  Theres value there in Rodgers comfort level.

2.  He can provide Amari Rodgers with some invaluable mentorship.   Show him he ropes of being the same type of WR Cobb is/was.    Very valuable insight and ability for Amari Rodgers to ease into the NFL game.

At the right price, I got no problem with Cobb back in GB. 

20 minutes ago, Norm said:

Everyone report this

@webby

(just kidding - I got a PM from webby yesterday for doing that in NFL News)

Also, not sure why anyone would think I'm upset by any of this. This is ideal for GB and what I've been wanting all along: to move on from Rodgers after this season. It's Rodgers' fault we won't win the SB this year though because he's a whiny B who refused to do this restructure months ago when we could have used the money to add a piece or two to this team. I'm sure Packers FO was as shocked as us that Aaron would self-sabotage his legacy like that - but he did.

Anything good that comes from this season is just gravy now after Rodgers' antics. FO did a wonderful job bringing back and building up the rest of the team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree, Cobb has good value in many ways but not $8 million value.

1.  Apparently, Rodgers wants him around, always seemed to be a good safety valve for him.  Theres value there in Rodgers comfort level.

2.  He can provide Amari Rodgers with some invaluable mentorship.   Show him he ropes of being the same type of WR Cobb is/was.    Very valuable insight and ability for Amari Rodgers to ease into the NFL game.

At the right price, I got no problem with Cobb back in GB. 

Independent of anything our self-absorbed QB wants, at a more reasonably salary I would not hate the idea of Cobb being a Packer in 2021 at all.

From articles I have read, it sounds like Cobb and Amari Rodgers are very close.  If I have it correctly, Cobb has been mentoring Amari since grade school, and is a huge supporter. I can think of much worse things than Cobb being on the roster in 2021 and making a point of showing Amari first hand everything he knows about playing WR at the NFL level.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

Angry middle age guy who feels suppressed by the higher ranking authorities in the military life he has chosen. Uses forums to let off steam to keep from snapping and killing everyone on his base. I thank him for serving our nation.  

Edited by R T
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, R T said:

Angry middle age guy who feels suppressed by the higher ranking authorities in the military life he has chosen. Uses forums to let off steam to keep from snapping and killing everyone on his base. I thank him for serving our nation.  

So all of us are saving lives. Nice. 

• Like 2