Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

Just now, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I probably should have said part of the issue no one is talking about.

Still. Thats small stuff.

You dont commandeer the entire draft PR machine because you have strategy issues with the HC.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

but how?

(and don't say "by not drafting Love" - because if you get excited about a QB with the talent he has, there's never a reason not to draft them)

The only fault GB has in this is that we should've told Rodgers during the draft process we were high on Love and would pick him if he was there, not for the sake of his approval, but just out of respect for him at this point in his career. If I was close to retirement age and my employer hired a young buck to work under me, it'd be nice to know in the interview process and not show up for work on a Monday and he's there sitting next to my desk.

Beyond that, we've done nothing wrong. 

• Like 3

So the report this morning is that Rodgers wanted a new 5 year deal from Green Bay.

weird given he hates that GB doesn’t give him weapons and hates everyone in the front office. Why sign up for 5 more years if you hate them?

so confused...

Just now, Jaire_Island said:

The main problem with Arod as per Gutey is not having a clear communication with Arod about the organization future plans with Love. 

Gutey agreed there was some communication gap from his side and it should have been handled better. That’s all. I dont fault Gutey for drafting Love at all. 

I will accept that they could have handled the communication differently simply because they could have known Rodgers is a whiny b-hole. But I will never accept that they SHOULD have consulted or communicated with a rank employee before making that decision. But yes, sometimes as a leader you can pander to your employees (to a certain level) to keep their egos buttered. It's a fine line and the young GM perhaps miscalculated there. I'll agree to that.

39 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But what would have happened in the last month to cause that?

We know Rodgers motivation. He wants 3 things:

1. Cash flow. He's only got 22 million coming in in 2021. 25.5 in 2022 and 25.5 in 2023.

2. Long term security. The Packers can get rid of him for 17 million dollars prior to 2022 and save 22 million. They can cut him for less than 3 million prior to 2023. He probably never wants to go into another season where the team can move him without it being damning to their cap.

3. The team around him to be stacked and talented. An extension and restructure would have provided him what he wanted on items #1 and #2, while simultaneously giving the team more cap space to bring in another veteran piece(s)

+++

By waiting, Rodgers:

1. Got back from a real long vacation. He was now focusing entirely on the contract situation. Gute/Ball/Murphy not giving him the offer he wanted while he was on vacation probably didn't seem like such a big deal. Now that he's home and focused on it, he's all in and wants to win the negotiation.

2. Put the Packers in a bad spot. If they feel Jordan Love isn't ready, they no longer have the option to go and get a Dalton/Trubisky/Tyrod to stopgap this season. It's Love or bust. This is additional leverage for him in the negotiation.

3. Puts the pressure on the Packers to draft his guys to at least attempt to appease him. 

+++

It's very likely some kind of contract happens and when that works itself out Rodgers will come out on McAfee and chuckle placatingly and point out how the media loves to "use their unnamed sources to stir up drama" and how his relationship with the Packers is family like and how families have disputes, and how contract negotiations can get tenuous and the media takes the stuff out of hand and blows it up. How it's not his job to refute every media report that comes out, and nobody is going to have the guts to ask him about how a report from Schefter isn't "every media report" and instead the local media will go back to fondling his balls. 

• Like 2

Just now, Leader said:

Still. Thats small stuff.

You dont commandeer the entire draft PR machine because you have strategy issues with the HC.

I don't know, you probably are right.  

I just don't think he views it as small stuff when he thinks a coaching error cost him a chance to get to the Super Bowl. 

Mark Murphy isn't stupid.  When McCarthy was let go with heavy Rodgers influence, Murphy reportedly told Rodgers "Not to be the problem".

Two years later Rodgers reportedly wants Gute out??.

I think most people see the problem here.

9 minutes ago, Jaire_Island said:

Gutey’s pick the past 3 years.

Jaire A++
Savage A

Jenkins A+
Rashan Gary B+
Dillon B now and might become A

he is hitting in almost all his picks. Yes Arod situation should have been handled better, but remember he was not MVP level before 2020 season. 

he is one of the best in the business and we are not getting rid of him for Arod who plays at high level at max 2-3 years barring injury. 

How the hell is Dillon a B?

Edit: Not Dillion, need to switch websites :/

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

Mark Murphy isn't stupid.  When McCarthy was let go with heavy Rodgers influence, Murphy reportedly told Rodgers "Not to be the problem".

Two years later Rodgers reportedly wants Gute out??.

I think most people see the problem here.

i would like to think that "most" people do, but they don't. Definitely a significant percentage do, which is nice to see, though.

1 minute ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Seriously, if I'm the producer of Jeopardy, this whole situation would give me pause. 

Speaking of which, how is reading 80 index cards fulfilling ?? Not sure how he thinks he wouldn't be bored off his azz in 2 weeks