Packers QB Aaron Rodgers disgruntled; "Does not want to return to team"

RaidersAreOne

Bradshaw nailed it on Aaron Rodgers.

• He has been and always will be weak as a leader.
  • He has to get the digs in (like Jennings on his contract year)
  • He has to hold grudges.
  • He needs all the glory.
  • Its never about team for him.

The only other QB I can think of who threw this level of a hissy fit late in their careers was McNabb after the 2008 benching. He demanded and received extra money in the offseason and then they traded him in division a year later.

Favre never threw a fit, he just kept changing his mind about retiring and then felt bad when Green Bay called him on it.

Is there really a difference between 2021 Rodgers on the Packers and 2019 Antonio Brown on the Steelers?

• I see 2 elite talents acting like infants because they don't have the EQ to handle dealing with other people.
  • Like 1

Is it possible that, if Rodgers successfully forces his way out of GB, it sets the precedent for franchise QBs  to be easily able to do the same?

His success in getting traded wouldn’t technically change or create anything, but it could make realize they have their franchise’s by the neck.

And if Rodgers does well on his new team, a year after Brady/Bucs win the SB, I think QB’s would have the motivation to force themselves to get traded to the best available roster.

5 minutes ago, Duluther said:

I think QB’s would have the motivation to force themselves to get traded to the best available roster.

Teams invest way too much money into the QB position to allow that. They'll write the contracts to protect themselves.

It was already bad enough when Watson was trying to force his way out a year after signing his deal.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I've hired and fired a lot of people, but I've never run it by the staff.

This isn't firing Joe down on the docks, this is firing the most valuable company asset your company has who also brings in like 90% of your revenue. Example, I have a friend who is probably top 3 in his profession in the world and they had to let his partner of 10 years go. Do you think he just walked in to work and found out? Hell to the no, they had a meeting with him and discussed the whys hows etc. Like a  uh, professional.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Is it possible that, if Rodgers successfully forces his way out of GB, it sets the precedent for franchise QBs  to be easily able to do the same?

His success in getting traded wouldn’t technically change or create anything, but it could make realize they have their franchise’s by the neck.

And if Rodgers does well on his new team, a year after Brady/Bucs win the SB, I think QB’s would have the motivation to force themselves to get traded to the best available roster.

I think the same thing was said about Russell Wilson and Deshawn Watson....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pool said:

his is firing the most valuable company asset your company has who also brings in like 90% of your revenue.

No, Aaron Rodgers does not bring in 90% of the Packers' revenue. In fact, even if the Packers picked #1 in the draft for 10 years straight they wouldn't see a 90% reduction in revenue. I think the whole franchise QB's are top assets thing is a grossly overrated talking point. They bring in some amount of extra cash, but even the worst NFL teams are making money hand over fist.

I once heard I think Art Rooney II admit that they actually lose money by going farther in the playoffs if they aren't hosting the games.

5 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

I think the same thing was said about Russell Wilson and Deshawn Watson....

Sure. You could insert any franchise QB into my question. Those two guys failed (and if Watson does succeed in getting traded in the future, it will be in part because of him being damaged goods), so I’m using Rodgers.

Edited by Duluther

1 minute ago, CKSteeler said:

No, Aaron Rodgers does not bring in 90% of the Packers' revenue. In fact, even if the Packers picked #1 in the draft for 10 years straight they wouldn't see a 90% reduction in revenue. I think the whole franchise QB's are top assets thing is a grossly overrated talking point. They bring in some amount of extra cash, but even the worst NFL teams are making money hand over fist.

I once heard I think Art Rooney II admit that they actually lose money by going farther in the playoffs if they aren't hosting the games.

Hmmmmm. I can't even. lol

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Bradshaw nailed it on Aaron Rodgers.

• He has been and always will be weak as a leader.
  • He has to get the digs in (like Jennings on his contract year)
  • He has to hold grudges.
  • He needs all the glory.
  • Its never about team for him.

The only other QB I can think of who threw this level of a hissy fit late in their careers was McNabb after the 2008 benching. He demanded and received extra money in the offseason and then they traded him in division a year later.

Favre never threw a fit, he just kept changing his mind about retiring and then felt bad when Green Bay called him on it.

Is there really a difference between 2021 Rodgers on the Packers and 2019 Antonio Brown on the Steelers?

• I see 2 elite talents acting like infants because they don't have the EQ to handle dealing with other people.

It is interesting that the Love pick seemed to really strike a cord with Rodgers.  He wants more security with GB almost as if he feels like moving on would not be an option to use that grudge/chip on the shoulder to stick it to GB would be hard to accomplish.   If Rodgers is traded/on a new team in 2021 or 2022 and he does not win a Super Bowl, he falls yet another notch below Brady in that aspect of being able to move to a new team and in year 1 win a title.   Like he wants out, but what that might mean if success doesn't happen and how that reflects on him and his standing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Sure. You could insert any franchise QB into my question. Those two guys failed (and if Watson does succeed in getting traded in the future, it will be in part because of him being damaged goods), so I’m using Rodgers.

Can't be any more damaged than Antonio Brown....Look how many chances he got and threw away...

16 minutes ago, Pool said:

This isn't firing Joe down on the docks, this is firing the most valuable company asset your company has who also brings in like 90% of your revenue. Example, I have a friend who is probably top 3 in his profession in the world and they had to let his partner of 10 years go. Do you think he just walked in to work and found out? Hell to the no, they had a meeting with him and discussed the whys hows etc. Like a  uh, professional.

Applying it to football, I'm not of the opinion that roster players should be involved in the personnel decisions of the team.

Just now, Leader said:

Applying it to football, I'm not of the opinion that roster players should be involved in the personnel decisions of the team.

But this isn't a roster player. This is your HOF QB and face of your franchise. I'm not advocating for doing everything he says but would it have been so hard to keep him in the loop? Seems like that'd be a simple, fair thing to do.

• Like 2

Just now, Pool said:

But this isn't a roster player. This is your HOF QB and face of your franchise. I'm not advocating for doing everything he says but would it have been so hard to keep him in the loop? Seems like that'd be a simple, fair thing to do.

He IS a rostered player.

We cant assume how big the loop was. Who were GB really targeting? What did their board look like? Only they know - and as another poster already commented - it could be a true disaster if the team told AR "Depending on things break, we mignt draft a top QB......" (or some such comment).

You think for a moment AR wouldnt have his agent alerting every other possible landing spot of GB's intention? You cant say - nobody can - but the potential is certainly there and I see no benefit to that.

2 minutes ago, Pool said:

Yes, but someday he will be yesterday's news....Sport's heroes eventually wind up in the rear windows of their peers...

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

He IS a rostered player.

We cant assume how big the loop was. Who were GB really targeting? What did their board look like? Only they know - and as another poster already commented - it could be a true disaster if the team told AR "Depending on things break, we mignt draft a top QB......" (or some such comment).

You think for a moment AR wouldnt have his agent alerting every other possible landing spot of GB's intention? You cant say - nobody can - but the potential is certainly there and I see no benefit to that.

Don't waste time arguing semantics. My philosophy in life is to always try to do the right thing. The Packers as an organization didn't do right by Aaron by not talking to him about Love. And let's be real here, hurt their chances for a SuperBowl last year by drafting backups with their first 2 picks. I don't see how anyone in Aaron's position wouldn't be pissed. Now, obviously Aaron is being petty as hell about it and shouldn't be behaving the way he is but it doesn't make his point less valid.