Packers QB Aaron Rodgers disgruntled; "Does not want to return to team"

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Yes, but someday he will be yesterday's news....Sport's heroes eventually wind up in the rear windows of their peers...

Of course, saw it with Urlacher who continues to cry foul about how he his career ended with the Bears. 

Just now, Pool said:

Don't waste time arguing semantics. My philosophy in life is to always try to do the right thing. The Packers as an organization didn't do right by Aaron by not talking to him about Love. And let's be real here, hurt their chances for a SuperBowl last year by drafting backups with their first 2 picks. I don't see how anyone in Aaron's position wouldn't be pissed. Now, obviously Aaron is being petty as hell about it and shouldn't be behaving the way he is but it doesn't make his point less valid.

:) I've no interest to argue about it at all. Doesnt matter enough to me. Agree to disagree.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

He IS a rostered player.

We cant assume how big the loop was. Who were GB really targeting? What did their board look like? Only they know - and as another poster already commented - it could be a true disaster if the team told AR "Depending on things break, we mignt draft a top QB......" (or some such comment).

You think for a moment AR wouldnt have his agent alerting every other possible landing spot of GB's intention? You cant say - nobody can - but the potential is certainly there and I see no benefit to that.

This is actually a great point. As most assumed--exhibit A: how this conversation is going even a year later--GB wasn't gonna go first round, it's likely a big part of why no one traded up in front of GB to snag Love, assuming there were teams nearby considering him. I could see a few times grinding their teeth when the pick was announced, caught by surprise that the guy they hoped would slip a little further due to "no one in this part of the round needing a QB" being snatched up by an unlikely team.

Knowing how Rodgers has come off for years, him alerting his agent for the mere sake of getting the word out to possibly sabotage the Packers draft board doesn't seem far-fetched at all. They were a bit between a rock and a hard place, but they really couldn't tell him beforehand IMO. 

I'll add that none of us know how Jordan Love will turn out but it could be argued that his elite tools are generally getting him drafted higher, at least based on this draft.

Just now, Pool said:

You have like 30 posts in this thread lol

Yes - but a good deal of it deals with extraneous stuff. I've expressed my thoughts clearly and have no need to run thru them endlessly or repeat them. It's not that complex in my view.

32 minutes ago, Pool said:

Don't waste time arguing semantics. My philosophy in life is to always try to do the right thing. The Packers as an organization didn't do right by Aaron by not talking to him about Love. And let's be real here, hurt their chances for a SuperBowl last year by drafting backups with their first 2 picks. I don't see how anyone in Aaron's position wouldn't be pissed. Now, obviously Aaron is being petty as hell about it and shouldn't be behaving the way he is but it doesn't make his point less valid.

Should every GM tell every player of every position group when the team is going to draft a player for their group?

Why is it doing Rodgers wrong when he was not informed of the team’s target when even head coaches are so often left out of the mix until the pick is in?

Why would you tell your starting QB you plan on drafting a QB round 1 in the upcoming draft? They’re liable to blow their stack on social media and then anybody can connect the dots and see you have a QB as your target and jump you.

Including Rodgers in the loop, and especially letting Rodgers have say in roster management and freaking management itself, is asinine.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Should every GM tell every player of every position group when the team is going to draft a player for their group?

Why is it doing Rodgers wrong when he was not informed of the team’s target when even head coaches are so often left out of the mix until the pick is in?

Why would you tell your starting QB you plan on drafting a QB round 1 in the upcoming draft? They’re liable to blow their stack on social media and then anybody can connect the dots and see you have a QB as your target and jump you.

Including Rodgers in the loop, and especially letting Rodgers have say in roster management and freaking management itself, is asinine.

Then GB has a management problem if they can't read their players well enough to know how to handle them.

Its hard to fathom that people are this dense.

Team X is on the clock and the Packers want to trade up to grab Love...

Hold on, we can't draft a QB before we consult with our toddler at QB who will throw a tantrum unless he is consulted.

... clock runs out.

How absolutely pathetic of a cold take that Rodgers deserves to be in on roster decisions.

Reality: Packers tell Rodgers ahead of time that they are interested in drafting Love and he leaks it to the press.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 3

Rodgers has done nothing as a passive-aggressive, me-first, snake to ever earn the good will of the Packers FO to ever make him part of their decision making process.

Brady is the polar opposite of Rodgers so if Belichick sometimes gave him a heads up then that would make sense.

• If you are talking Brady and Tampa then get over yourself since Gronk and AB went to BRADY not Tampa.
    • Fournette was not going to Winston Tampa. He went there for Brady and a ring.

Brady has GM level equity in Tampa because his leadership and greatness has actually helped to form the roster.

He also has stats that are very close to Rodgers level while Rodgers has nothing on the leadership and greatness.

Rodgers elite skill (on talented teams) earned him MVP in 2011, 2014, and 2020.

• Who were you watching in the Super Bowl at the end of those years?

Manning got input in the offense when he went to Denver because they wanted to win and make a 36 year old QB as comfortable in their system or the combined hybrid system from go.

Rodgers (and his people) can shut up, not show up, get traded to Denver and do the same as Manning (albeit without the SBs)

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 3

A lot of people in this thread are arguing that the philosophy behind the Jordan Love pick was wrong by assuming that Jordan Love will not be as good as Aaron Rodgers.

1. Nobody can possibly know that at this point but he likely won't be.

2. The Packers don't need Love to be as good as Rodgers to succeed.

3. Jordan Love may fail as an NFL player but that does not reflect that the philosophy behind the pick was bad or incorrect. They may have simply picked the wrong player, as with any draft pick, that is the risk, but that means nothing when judging the value of the philosophy and long term planning behind the selection.

The argument makes 0 sense.

• Like 1

I don't think they needed to tell Rodgers. And I think Love will be good.

But that pick was still a mistake - what if Rodgers repeats his performance from last year two more years? They have to see what they have in Love before paying him $25 million. If he has no bad game tape, even without the presence of any game tape some team would pay him.

So Rodgers wins MVP in 2022 and the Packers....trade him? Or keep him and pick up Loves option and then....hope he declines?

This was always going to end with trading Rodgers so they might as well do it now.

2 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

A lot of people in this thread are arguing that the philosophy behind the Jordan Love pick was wrong by assuming that Jordan Love will not be as good as Aaron Rodgers.

1. Nobody can possibly know that at this point but he likely won't be.

Hang on. We've been told he is simply the continuation of Packer QB-drafting ingenuity. The latest in line.

is this not true then?

In all seriousness I get the pick. A team shouldn't be penalised for drafting a QB to one day take over, if he's good enough and still there.

Equally, people who critcize the pick have a case in terms of the team missing out on a chance to push a SB contender over the edge. This where I am - you have Rodgers, MVP, defense killing QB. You're constantly complaining he's never had the defenses that Brady has etc, so criticize the pick! Pick a DE, a CB, a LB...instead of a future possible takeover.